Question NAS/Ethernet streaming v UHD disc playback for the best picture quality

miggyboys

Is playing a disc in a blu-ray/UHD player better picture quality than streaming the ripped file via ethernet from a NAS. Or are they the same?

If you're going to say yes or no, please elaborate on your answer! As well as technical answers, I'm also interested in real world opinions, i.e. if to your eyes, one looks the same or worse than the other.

next010

Distinguished Member
Is playing a disc in a blu-ray/UHD player better picture quality than streaming the ripped file via ethernet from a NAS. Or are they the same?

If you're going to say yes or no, please elaborate on your answer! As well as technical answers, I'm also interested in real world opinions, i.e. if to your eyes, one looks the same or worse than the other.
The source media is exactly the same.

The only difference is how the media player may process the video, most generally speaking leave the video as is untouched, they are not applying any image post processing effects.

I think you'd be hard pressed to see any difference but a player incorrectly configured may produce an image that looks different.

miggyboys

Thanks for your reply next010.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom