Nas drive or media streamer

sophies hero

Hi there does anyone have any idea what would be better for my needs...im looking to play media via my xbox so like the thought of a nas drive so i can set it up away from my tv as i dont like clutter but xbox doesnt support mkv etc, obviously most media streamers do now so thats a bonus for hd stuff but i dont want the extra box in my living room and dont have a wifi tv or anything so would need to plug it in via hdmi, anyone have a happy medium or better way of doing things? Only looking to spend £70-80 ideally, cheers, wayne

next010

Distinguished Member
Most media players these days can share out a HDD (internal or external) over the network so you can use it as a simple NAS, although the transfer speeds wont be as good as a dedicated NAS it will do.

Have you got a spare HDD already ?

If no you may want to look at the WDTV Live Hub as an option, it comes with a 1TB HDD built in and will handle all your media needs but it's almost double your budget.

If you do have a HDD then try the WDTV Live instead, you can share out a USB attached drive.

There's no way to make the Xbox 360 a useful media player without a PC transcoding material.

sophies hero

Thanks next really appreciate the reply, ive been looking at the WD stuff but was unsure off how it will work in terms of being away from the tv...if im using it to stream media would it need to be connected to the tv directly via a hdmi still? I know it sounds a bit petty but im a cable freak and have my sky+ HD, xbox, phone cables and all the power cables hidden in the wall so dont want to ruin the look by having to slap a hub next to it? As for the hdd no i dont have a decent sized one so im hoping for decent storage i can store other files on not just media, would the hub still be good for that. (word docs and pdfs)

sophies hero

Just took a quick look and the wd live hub actually looks like a really smart bit of kit, shame about the price tho so i may look for a used 1?

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes the device will need to be connected to a HDMI port on the TV it is no different from any other AV device. The simple NAS in the Live Hub can be used to store anything.

A small media player you might be able to hide behind the TV assuming there is space and provided it has RF remote or smartphone remote, IR probably wont work. The Live hub has a web based remote control that can be used via web browser.

An AppleTV2 hacked to run XBMC is about the smallest decent media player you can get, however it requires a NAS or PC to serve network shared folders, it does come with wireless built in but the remote is IR based but you can also use smartphone/web remotes.

Amazon have the Live Hub for £150 you might find second hand or used on eBay but it is a relatively new media player so might be hard to find.

Last edited:

sophies hero

Yeah i was wondering if its possible to get xbmc on a new 360 slim as i have the 250gig hdd in mine and its already on the network so it seems a shame not to utilise it if possible. I def think it'll be worth the investment on the live hub tho so thanks for takin the time to give me the advice

next010

Distinguished Member
XBMC is impossible on the 360 is the short answer, XBMC team have no interest in game consoles anymore.

sophies hero

Ok well as i say thanks for the advice, glad i joined up now as i was a bit unsure if ppl would actually get in touch so all the best! Wayne

jsbachra

Standard Member
If you were to go out and buy yourself an out and out NAS drive, what connects to your TV play your files sitting on the NAS

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom