NAS drive for Mac / TimeMachine and Media?

adonis

Hi guys,

I am looking to get a NAS drive sometime soon which I want mainly for streaming movies from and use for Timemachine my Macbook and Mac Pro.
I was going to get a Drobo but have read afew bad reviews so am opting for either QTAP or Synology.
Could I use Time machine with these too? I have an external FW Seagate 1TB which I am using for Time machine but want to replace it.

Budget of around £500

Thanks

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
Both QNAP and Synology units support timemachine. for £500 (I assume including 1tb or 2tb disks) you can go up to a 2 bay model from either camp. The external drive can plug into either.

If you went for say a QNAP TS-110 with a 1tb drive inside (approx £170-£175 inc disk) then you can use their one touch backup and would copy the contents of the internal drive to the external drive as a backup. If you didnt want to backup to the external hdd then you can put in a 2tb disk for less than £200. The TS-110 is around an extra £25 and is a little quicker in terms of cpu speed (800mhz vs 1.2Ghz)

You can go for a 2 bay unit and just have one or two disks in too. Similarly a 4 bay unit with 1 disk in to suite your budget and for future growth plans just add more disks

Last edited:

adonis

Thanks for the info Graham. I have 1 2TB drive which is ready to go in and going to buy another with the NAS.
Was looking at the TS-219P+ / TS-410 and Synology DS410 any idea what the difference is? 4 bay might be better with all the bluray rips I have been doing with my collection lol

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
the QNAP x10 models (so TS-110,TS-210, TS-410 etc) are 800mhz/256mb memory. The x12 models are 1.2gb and 256mb of memory. The P+ models sport a 1.6Ghz processor and 512mb or ram

The Synology DS410 is 1.06Ghz and 512 mb of memory so it will be a bit more responsive to requests than x10/x12 machines. The TS-410 and DS410 are around about the same price give or take a fiver so I'd go with the synology and you then have the space to add two more drives in the future

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
The Netgear ReadyNAS range has time machine on board, plus iTunes Server, and Squeezebox Server.

I experience great results with my Mac Mini and ReadyNAS.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
Actually I take that back. There is £100 difference between the Synology DS410 and the TS-410:eek: Sorry too bleary eyed after partying yesterday :)

In that case I reverse my recommendation - I'd go with the QNAP. If you are not going to be doing loads of multiple streaming at the same time then the TS-410 would be fine - The TS-412 is midway between the two price wise

adonis

I think I will go for the TS-412.

Would the Samsung F4 2TB (HD204UI) drives be ok in this? Think I might buy 2 or the WD 2TB (WD20EARS) ?

Marsocky

Standard Member
@Graham: slight side issue - could you elaborate a bit about why you choose Samsung over WD, Seagate etc,. Is it better performance, value or reliability or a mixture of these things? Is there any evidence that you know of affecting the quality of the output - either music or video?

Many thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom