• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Nas connectivity

Movieman

Just ordered the synology CS-407, but having read the on line manual, I'm not sure how to connect it up to my computer.
My set up consist of upstairs Apple iMac (1 Ethernet port) connected to 1 of the ports on BT Home Hub Wireless Router (2 Ethernet ports), then other Ethernet port on BT home hub goes down stairs to Tvix 6500 (1 Ethernet port) in viewing room.
so when the CS-407(1 Ethernet port) arrives how do I fit this in? were do I plug its Ethernet port.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Simple, by a switch. You then unplug the router from both users and plug one lead into the switch. Then plug downstairs, upstairs, NAS, printers etc etc into the switch.
If you buy a 8 way one will be for the router and the rest will be for what ever you want, all work at the same time.
Get a Gigabit router and file transfers will be quick if the NAS and Mac have giga bit ports.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/64191
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/64190

Movieman

Andy thanks for the quick reply.
Just to add a little more complexity to the setup, my Tvix 6500 is in a cinema room down stairs along with HD DVD player, XBox 360 and PS3, they all need to connect to the net and I have a switch down stairs that they all plug into then there is the 1 Ethernet cable that runs from down stairs to the router up stairs.
So do I buy another switch to go up stairs to plug the Ethernet cable from down stairs and the NAS (up stairs) into which then plugs into the router.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Yep no problem, but the speed downstairs will be governed by the speed of the switch you have. So if you have a 100M switch maybe it is only worth getting a 100M switch by the router.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom