NAS buying guide

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by akane_1984, Sep 16, 2007.

1. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Looking to centralize my music, videos and photos onto an NAS to share with laptop, 360 and other PC in the house. This is my first dip into NAS market can anyone recommend best model and do I have to add the hard drives myself or can I buy NAS with HDDs built in.

2. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I've moved this to the right forum for you, so you should be able to find a lot more info. :smashin:

3. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
  4. devilyfish

devilyfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Both of the links are NAS servers at which case i would definately go with the WD one as i would probably say that it will be alot more stable. Setting up and external hard drive will probably not work with what you wish to do unless your okay having your PC on when trying to access all files on it.

Either that or try EVA8000 from netgear, take a look at that spec and see what you think

5. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    These options should work without my PC on, its stated in the product info.

6. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    read a review on web says the WD my books are quite noisey.

7. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    could you post the link to the review please?

8. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  9. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
  10. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Good choice, but also look at the Synology DS-107+

I originaly bought a single drive NAS, but soon realised that if the hard drive failed I could lose 750gb of data
    Make sure you have a way to backup your data to another external drive or go for a dual drive NAS with Raid 1 for piece of mind like the QNAP TS-209 Pro or Synology DS-207+

11. badsoden

badsoden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Don't go near the WD My Book World it is not a proper NAS drive and it certainly won't act as a media server for a PS3 or anything else for that matter. I made the mistake of buying one! Its claims that you can access your files over the internet made me think it was an FTP server as well but you need to install extra software then pay a monthly or yearly charge for the full promised functionality.

12. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I used to own a Linkstation 120GB for a couple of years and recently sold it. Finally got fed up of the noisy fan - it really is noisy - I had it in my back living room / office and my wife used to switch the Linkstation off if sat there for any time.
    Have now purchased a 320GB Maxtor NAS drive from Maplin for £99.
    Compared to the Linkstation it is virtually silent - in fact in standby mode it is silent as far as I can tell. Even when running the noise is a fraction of the Linkstation.

Also, the Maxtor feels much more solidly put together. The only downer with the Maxtor was the provided software seemed a bit flaky on my PC. However, I uninstalled the software and then just used the HTTP Web interface on the drive itself and that works just fine.

13. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    i've decided to bring a NAS device into my equation and pop it into the computer room upstairs. I've been scared for quite a while that my files stroon over various PCs around the house aren't that safe from loss. Yes, i take regular dvd backups of my pictures and stuff, but i've got around 60gb music, plus GBs and GBs of video files that are just sat there without any sort of backup.

After reading reviews and doing a it of research i've decided to go for the Synology CS407e.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/CS407e/index.php

This is a 4 drive model that supports RAID 5 for protection.

The CS407e was £357.19 (bare bones, no drives) and the drives are £44.05 each.

So the total cost is £357.19 + (£44.05 x 4 = £176.20) = £533.39

That gives me 320gb x 4 (1.280TB) of space, but take one of the drives off for the parity disk, so 960GB of usable space. Once formatting has taken place, that'll be 900GB of usuable and fully protected disk space.

Yes, its quite a lot of money for 900gb, but its fully protected and future proof.

I'll have somewhere safe to put all my data!! which i haven't got now!

And if i manage to somehow fill 900GB, i will just upgrade the drives as it can take 4 x 750GB drives no problem. (2.2TB anyone?????)

gonna connect this and the other hardwired pc's to a gigbit switch. £23 from ebuyer for a netgear! great price.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/64190

Then link this to my USR wireless router for the laptop to connect to and provide internet access for the other connections too.

I had considered 2 drive nas housing, but with 750gb drives at crazy prices compared to 500gb and 500gb mirrored not quite enough space, i thought the extra money for the 4 drive version worth it. especially with its upgrade potential at a later date.

As for the single drive versions: WHY? No redundancy at all!!!! might as well just get a usb external drive.

2 drives NAS devices are the bare minimum in my opinion. Space isn't everything - PROTECTED DATA IS!!!