NAS and Plex

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by zantarous, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I am in the market for a NAS, been thinking about it for a while and as my desktop is now approaching 11 years of age I want to try and take it out of the loop. I also have a large number of Blurays and DVDs that I want to rip and playback via Plex.

My main media playback machine is a Nvidia Shield and ideally I am looking for a NAS that can act as a Plex server (I understand that the Shield can do this). What I don't understand is can I still edit and set up stuff my PC for Plex and then when it is powered off the NAS would have all the meta data?

Am I asking for too much, if I turn my Shield into a Plex server do I lose the ability to configure Plex on the PC?

2. NickC4555

NickC4555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have a silent fanless QNAP HS-250 (current model is HS51+) which contains my Plex media library. I currently have Plex Server running on a NUC (Win 10) which contains the Plex database on its SSD. I did try putting the Plex data on the NAS too using iSCSI, but it caused some reliability problems. Plex only supports configurations where the application data is local. You need to keep the server on, but you would still be able to configure Plex using a browser on the PC if you moved it to your Shield, which presumably would be always on anyway.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,251
    You could also use Kodi which IMO (but not everyones) is better than Plex (for me)

The NAS would serve the data, the Shield would pay it back natively. Kodi is more configureable than Plex having loads of diferent skins, layouts within skins, add ons (not all add ons are dodgy) etc.

Plex has many plus points as well, just for what I use it for Kodi has the edge.

4. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Thanks for the info folks, looks like it aint going to be so easy to get the ideal solution. I used to use Kodi but wanted something that had a central database so could sync to multiple devices, I did try Trakt integration and that was a bit hit and miss. Also it was easier correcting any mistakes on the server. And lastly as all the meta data sat on my PC I didn't have to worry about low storage devices like my Fire TV running out of storage.

I still use Kodi to run the Plex client, would be nice if the Kodi team built a Plex client into the software like MrMC with a bit more functionality.

As I want to rip my collection and have it stored digitally and put my discs into storage for space and convenience. Looks like the answer for the time being is just get a NAS with lots of storage.

5. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,251
  6. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Been down that road already, Plex just makes synching the library so effortless. I remember looking at MySQL years ago and decided it was far too complicated.

7. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,251
    You didn't read the whole thing then as you don't need to use MySQL (I decided that was far too complicated as well)
    UPnP is simple solution.

8. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Your right didn't spot that, will have a look. I guess the meta data needs to sit on both devices or can you point that at a NAS?

9. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,251
  10. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,139
    I have Qnap NAS which supports Plex Server - but I think it is too under-powered as when I connect the Sheild to it as a client the movies grind to a halt after about about ten seconds. I switched to using the Shield as the server and it's all good. Can still configure Plex via the website - suits all my needs.

11. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I use both, Kodi and Plex, I have a HP micro server running server software and 6hdd installed I then have Kodi on the PC's and run Plex on other devices if they are not compatible with Kodi and if it's compressed files, full fat ISO files are run through Kodi as it has a good play back.

12. MGRayd

MGRayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    I'm running a Synology DS916 with Plex installed, the nas has no issues with the content I'm hosting as all ripped to be played natively by the clients on network. I've tried transcoding and it will do it upto 1080 fine but when the bitrate gets too high it doesn't like it.

I could run the shield as server as that can handle more but it's not needed as all clients in house can pay the native files.