NAS and Gaming Server

JasonH76

Right, just been spending the last few weeks deciding what parts to get to make a gaming server for my kids (Keep getting distracted!) Decided on building a AMD based system with parts I already have from an existing server that is Intel based... The server will house a Windows Server 2016 AD system (kids hate it!) and run a minecraft local server, and Steam LanCache. It will also host all my media and files. It will host a couple of VM's too. I have a separate backup (12TB drive) connected elsewhere in the house.

My mine issue is that I need a motherboard with IPMI KVM socket for remote management including BIOS access. These seem to be on Motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, Supermicro and ASRock.
My Budget is £600 for a CPU and Motherboard.

The parts I have so far are:

AMD Ryzen 3700X 8C/16T CPU @3.6GHz)
16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 (Existing)
256GB Intel NVMe Drive (Boot OS)
500GB Samsung 950 Evo SSD
4 x 4TB WD Red Pro HDD's (Existing)
10GB XC-1OOG PCIe Network Adapter (Existing)

My existing server is a HP Microserver Gen8 with a 2C/4T Xeon E3-1220L V2 @ 2.3GHz with 16GB ECC DDR3 RAM.

I have also looked at UnRAID as a OS and run Windows Server 2016 as a VM, but not sure as it seems a lot of work!

mushii

Distinguished Member
I think that if you are going to spend that sort of money and effort (particularly with that NIC) for a caching server and you want to use it as a media server you may want to re-think your memory. I'd be looking at double that - 32GB.

I'd also consider a hardware raid controller for your drives.

JasonH76

I think that if you are going to spend that sort of money and effort (particularly with that NIC) for a caching server and you want to use it as a media server you may want to re-think your memory. I'd be looking at double that - 32GB.

I'd also consider a hardware raid controller for your drives.
Hi Mushli,

Thanks for the reply.

I did consider a Hardware RAID controller, but to be honest. I feel that UnRAID makes a better use of storage space than RAID 5.

As for memory, I plan to get another 16GB DDR4 3200MHz I can utilise once it up and running as also looking at Docker! So many options!

Last edited:

mushii

Distinguished Member
Maybe but that 10Gig NIC may get bottlenecked using a standard MOBO SATA controller. I guess it all depends on how many gaming clients are hitting the server at the same time, and what demands you have on streaming media.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I was also going to suggest more RAM because you are running VM's - they stomp through the RAM and run much better if they (or the host OS) don't need to page to disc.

JasonH76

I will have no more than 5 clients connected whilst gaming and streaming at the same time. I do have a 200Mbps Virgin Connection and later on, I will allow online multiplayer, but that's another project for the future!

I see what you saying about the 10G NIC card bottlenecking the SATA controller (6G vs 10G), but the price of 4TB NVMe drives are a tad expensive at the mo! I must add. I will also house a GTX1050i GPU. Main issue is learning how to passthrough Hardware to VM's!

JasonH76

I was also going to suggest more RAM because you are running VM's - they stomp through the RAM and run much better if they (or the host OS) don't need to page to disc.
Just ordered 16gb 3200MHz extra so a total 32GB DDR4 will be utilised. VM's will be Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10. I will also run Linux Mint OS to run the Steam LANCache system (From what I have researched!)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom