1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Narrowed Down To 2: Pioneer Or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dayioglu, Oct 5, 2005.

1. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I have been looking for a plasma for a long time and have narrowed down my choices to 2 models.

One is Pioneer PDP-505HDE the other Panasonic TH-50PV500E

The documentation suggest that Panasonic is better in the resolution and contrast areas.

Can someone help me choose the better plasma here? Thanks.

:lease:

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You have to choose it for yourself, have a look at them both and compare! Try out some of your favourite DVD's, Sky etc.

I prefer the pv500 as does many others for the PQ, which I believe is still the one to beat as far as that goes. If it was on Style then definitely the Pioneer would win.

But as Maw said I dont want to watch the TV when its off, I want it to look at its best when its on.

3. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but what about the problems listed for the Panny? I have not seen such a problem list for the Pioneer yet in these forums?? the flickering, the horizontal line, the buzzing, this is scary stuff.

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Youve got to remember that the pioneer is very new, people have not even had the TV for a couple of weeks yet. The Panny problems didnt surface as far as I know until months after first being released. The pioneer also has buzzing and a horizontal judder.

The way I looked at it, evey pv500 I looked at it every shop, I never heard it buzz, never so the horizontal line, never saw the contrast change.

How many people actually complained about these things on here, maybe 30 at the most, how many Pv500's have been sold in the UK do you think? Probably thousands.
    I talked to the sales guy in JL and told me he had only 1 Pv500 come back cause of a faulty main board thats it.

At the end of the day, no TV is faultless, its just a question of what looks the best to your eyes. I wasnt prepared to pay £2800 for a TV with a 3 year warranty (max) when I was getting my Pv500 for £2259 with a 5 year warranty. It was a no brainer for me. Especially considering on avsforum.com the general consensus is that the pv500 still has better blacks and is able to give more detail with less noise than the pioneer.

I tried a few of my DVD's and they were stunning on the PV500. Havent seen the 436 yet.

But just compare them and see what you prefer!

5. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Any other thoughts from someone else? Nobody in the Pioneer camp? The sale is about to go to Panasonic!

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Do you mean the Pioneer 506 or were you right in typing 505?

If it is the 505 I would not touch it, the 506 is now out and is definitely better.

7. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is the 505. why would you not touch it? this is exactly what I need to hear. 506 is not out yet here.

8. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the way I was out for a few hours and did get the demo. it does not look like there is a world of difference between them. pio has a more sleek look, panasonic on paper has the better specs, quality looks quite similar when they are side by side. and it is not a price issue either as they are priced very close to each other. it seems the more I research the more confused I get. gotta decide soon. thx. :confused:

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Personally I do not like the way the Pioneer can not do black, to me it gives a very flat image, it looks very washed out and it really annoys me. Also the Pioneer 435 I had used to drive me nuts with a funny judder, some people can't notice it at all, which is great but if you do it will annoy you especially if you watch sport.
    Having said that my mate with a 435 swore that his set had no judder, that was until he saw my Panny panel, now he realises what I mean when I say it's not smooth.

The 436 has got deeper blacks than the 435 but still no where near as deep as the Panny. You need to go into a store with a set up disc and get them looking as close as you can and then deciding. The Pioneer has bigger gaps between the pixels which can give the screen a much sharper looking image than the Panny, which alot of people really like.
    The Pioneer also looks 100x better than the Panasonic when hung on the wall, it is a stonking design, but at the end of the day only you can decide.

10. cheechy

cheechy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was lucky enough to see the SKy HD Demo running on the pv50037 and pio 436XDE on Monday. I know the smaller screens generally look better close up so I deliberately stood back to try and get a subjective view.

I have to agree on this that the pv had better colour reproduction and looking at the HD football demo side by side the pio looked had judder and that famous really green pitch. The panny had what looked like real grass and less judder. I mean less judder as it still looked like there was judder in there. I'm also aware that the screen size may have something to do with the visible impact of the judder as well.

As mentioned in another thread today - my only problem with going for the Panny now, and in particular a panny panel like the HD8 is the quality of the digital input. It really is a factor for me in terms of plugging in a HD capable sky box and possibly a PS3 when both come out next year.

Does the Panasonic PV500 have better quality digital inputs than the panel - is anyone in a position to answer?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    The Pnasonics digital input is no worse than any other makes, however its analogue is so good so why bother unless you have to.

12. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Im going for the 360 and might push for a Ps3 to have the blu-ray drive. Ive no doubt that the Panny will do a great job with HD games and HD films.