Nardies' Flat Set Up

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by Nardies, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Nardies

Nardies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Long time no post, last time I posted a set up I was living with my parents (http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/705962-mkandys-bedroom-set-up.html) and was planning on taking all the equipment to my new place whenever that was. Well, thankfully that all happened and over 4 years the whole set up has grown and changed.

The Lounge:

I actually stuck with the Sammy R87 all this time as I didn't find anything I really liked that ticked all the boxes and wasn't stupidly expensive. So last month I took the plunge and bought an LG 42LM620T, I did read about issues with banding and such, but to be honest haven't experienced any of that. I previously had fashioned a centre speaker stand for the Sammy panel, and had to modify that for the LG (I'm in a rental property so can't really make anything more permanent).

The Onkyo 715 has been relegated to the office and has been replaced with a Denon AVR-4306, which is just immense, if not extremely difficult to work out! The Q-Acoustics 1020is remain, but are now on stands, are coupled with the 1100Ci centre speaker mounted above the TV, some Mission 77DS bi-directional rears and a Q-Acoustics 2000 Series Active sub (which replaced the REL Quake).

The cabinet is from Alphason, and comfortably takes the Denon, PS3, Sky Box, Wii and the HTPC.

As before I'm storing DVDs on the HTPC, but it now boasts a Bluray drive, a new HD Radeon graphics card, 4TBs of drive space, Windows 7 Media centre with tweaks to allow it to play both Blurays and MKVs, as well as ripped DVDs, and in total I have something like 300 films available to watch on demand.

I've also recently set up Plex Media Server so the HTPC now acts as a streaming server, more on that later. Here's some fancy shots of the lounge, including some of the flora and fauna!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bedroom 1

So, with the Samsung now relegated, and being a trusty servant for the last 5-6 years I didn't want to sell it, so I moved it to the master bedroom, which, rather inconveniently doesn't have an aerial socket. A quick trip to Argos and I bought an internal aerial which actually picks up 70 odd Freeview channels on the Sammy's Freeview receiver, not bad!

That said, the lack of HD was disappointing, so I added a cheapo Bluray player, which was fine for just playing Blurays, but it was noisy and limited in it's functionality. I got bored and managed to pick up a PS3 Slim from eBay for £90, connected it via Powerline Ethernet adapters to the HTPC, and now via the Plex Media Server software I mentioned earlier, can seamlessly stream MKVs/AVIs and MP4's directly to the PS3, a really nifty solution I reckon!

[​IMG]

Bedroom 2| The Office

Finally we come to the office, where I've got a 23" LG LCD TV, plugged into my laptop docking station, along with the Onkyo 715DAB (now with a powered iPod dock), the old REL Quake woofer, some gloss black Q Acoustics 2020i speakers, and the old Bluray player.

[​IMG]

That's all for now, maybe I'll comment again in 4 years! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Looks great, well done

3. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Wow very nice i especially like your livingroom setup.:smashin:

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very tidy set up indeed :smashin:

5. BM08

BM08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Nice setup, i love the plantation behind the tv/speakers, nice touch.

6. Drew088

Drew088
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Your setup looks great , like your touch on the photos they look artistic.

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Piccies have vanished.

I worked out you can host the pictures on the forum itself, which solves the 3rd party website deciding to no longer work issue.

8. Nardies

Nardies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the comments chaps.

Are they pictures back now, seems ok for me?

9. BM08

BM08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Yeah I can see them ........

10. zad

zad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Pics are back, how or what are you using to hold the centre above the tv?