1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Napster challenges iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by ipodstudio, Feb 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check this out! Napster has a released a new kind of iTunes where you pay a set fee per month and have unlimited downloads, instead of paying per song! :smashin:

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but you have to pay the fee every month for the rest of your life, or the files you've downloaded become trash-fodder due to the DRM.

D'oh!

3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. letitbleed

letitbleed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    notice its $14.95 in states & £14.95 in UK .
    Good ole Rip off Britain :mad:

5. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    who cares about Napster and iTunes anymore?!?!

www.AllOfMP3.com whips them both.

6. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great..... if you can read russian or whatever that site is written in. :rolleyes:

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The site is in English :rolleyes:

Yes iPodstudio... as mick's cat points out reading the small print is always advisable :p

I've been using Napster (among others) for a while during my write-ups of the various online services, and personally I like being able to browse the entire collection of music in full, and then buying what I want to keep. If you use the service expressly as a way to discover music for buying separately (either offline or online) and you do this often, I think what they're asking for the 'to go' service is not unreasonable. After all, many people pay more per month for renting DVD's which they'd never keep.

The quality of the mainstream services is still not what I want to keep though, so for my own use I'll continue buying CD's. AllofMP3.com is a very viable alternative, and as a pure download site (without the bells and whistles of a music manager) I think it's one of the best if you know what you're after.

8. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! As is following the link and reading the whole thread... ;)

9. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....well im afraid that when i click on the english tab it doesnt work. So i'd assumed that it was a native russian site that hadn't yet been translated into english.

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    allofmp3 :thumbsup: superb site been using them for a year or so now, they have recently doubled their prices (now 2cents per 1Mb of download :D ) but still the best/cheapest site on the net, thanks to them I've been downloading, playing and enjoying a lot of music I would have otherwise have missed or ignored :smashin:

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I don't bother reading the links usually. Reviews/opinions I can understand, but press releases and whatnot, I don't understand why a direct link can't be made.

12. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  13. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the link.......that site is giving me all of the individual tracks that aren't on itunes or napster - and being able to encode directly onto AAC is fantastic ....... and at a bargain price :smashin:

14. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    What is thbe advantage of being able to encode in into AAC?, I did an encoding test and a 192kps MP3 was the same size and quality as an AAC one.

15. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just tried Allof Mp3!!!!! :thumbsup: It ROCKS!!!!!!

Can it be legal???

Who cares!!! :clap: THankYOU!!!!

16. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I too have just registered for the site, extremely useful when you just can't be arsed downloading crap P2P files. I just spent twenty minutes downloading Eminem's Toy Soldiers, downloaded three from LimeWire and one from Kazaa and every single one was corrupted!. Also, I now download in 192kbps which considerably decreases the search results for lesser known songs as 90% are encoded @ 128kps - a throwback to the bad old days when everyone had tiny amounts of storage space on their players I guess.

Yes it is 100% legal, the Ruskies have got bigger concerns than music piracy so there copyright laws are weak ass.

17. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ALLOFMP3.COM :clap:

Thanks for the link. I have deposited $20.00 and have not had so much fun downloading music ever!
    I mean, i'm actually downloading a full album for around 70p!
    Tracks encoded @ 192kbps MP3 sound fantastic.
    No broken links, no dodgy tracks & no spyware or viruses (yet!)
    According to the site it is perfectly legal (in Russia anyway)
    However, how long before the UK & US record companies (not to mention Napster & I Tunes) get wind of this?
    Has this site been running for a while?

18. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's been running for quite a while, although it's taken a while for the word to spread. As I understand it they pay mechanical royalties (i.e. the same as when a restaurant plays your track for example) instead of treating the online download like a sale. I dare say Russian copyright law will change once sufficient pressure builds up, but for now, enjoy.

19. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    They used to do a monthly subscription deal which was $14.95 for 1000 tracks a month.

20. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Anyone who has more questions about this site might find the relevant info here...

21. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    Legal it may be. But moral?

In the 'west' royalties go something like this. Let's take an artist like U2, and their 10 track album 'Zooropa'.

For each copy sold in the west, c.£1 goes to the performers. In this case that'll 95p to U2, and 5p to Johnny Cash (who duetted on one track).

For each copy sold in the west, c.£1 goes to the writers of the music (25p each to the 4 members of U2...unless they have a different arrangement, in which case maybe 50p will go to Bono for the lyrics, and 50p will be split between the other 3 for the music).

For each copy sold in the west, c.£1 goes to the publishers of the music - in U2's case I believe this is Blue Mountain Music. If U2 own this, they get the money - if the record company (Island) own this - they get the money.

Let's say you pay £11 for this in HMV, and £7 online at i-tunes (or wherever). Of the £7 online, £3 goes in royalities, the rest is split between Island Records & i-tunes.

If you buy at HMV, the same is true, and the extra £4 (the difference between £7 & £11) goes in paying for the physical item (CD, cassette, whatever), transport, and HMV.

So, however you buy it, U2 get c.£3 per copy, and the record company makes a healthy profit, a lot of which is plowed back into new bands. Remember 9 out of 10 bands who release a CD this year will lose money for the record comany.

What the f*** do you think happens if you buy from this Russian site?

If you buy a CD in Russia it maybe costs you £3. Why? Well the record company knows the average earnings aren't so great, so they reduce the royalties, knowing they'll make money from western sales. Of that £3, at least £1 goes to the Russian end, and at least £1 to the western record company (a lot less of a cut for them), leaving far, far less for royalties to the artist.

If you buy online from a Russian site, they get Russian royalty rates, and the record companies make virtually zilch. The difference is, you & I can only buy our CDs from HMV (or wherever), whilst online it doesn't matter if we download from Russia, Blackpool, or Saudi Arabia.

"Ah, but I hate U2 and milti-national record companies", I hear you say. "They have enough money already!"

Okay, but what about new bands like Kaiser Chiefs? What about indie labels.

The record comapy doesn't have enough money to offer to invest in bands like this. And the band will be offered so little there'll be virtually no point in signing.

Indie labels can compete in a Western market, but if they have to price their downloads to compete with Russia, they'll be screwed, and won't survive.

I know of a band who sold over a million records in the UK & US in the '80's who split at the end of the decade. Two members of the band (the ones who didn't write the music) were earning so little they couldn't afford a mortgage on a house! And that wasn't a tiny band - they toured with U2 & Bob Dylan.

All power to online sales - but if bands earn pence instead of pounds, we're going to end up with a record industry which is the shadow of what it is now.

And who wants a cr*pper music scene?

When I left school in '81, I was earning £40 a week, and a new album cost £5.99. Now the minimum wage is almost £200 for a 40 hour week, and a new album can be downloaded for just £6.99.

If we demand that our music should be cheaper than this, is it us, or the record company that's been greedy?

Steve W

22. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I don't have morals over such small potatoes as downloading music, guess im not a big enough music fan. How much I pay is my only concern, I expect to pay a fair amount of money for what is a five minute piece of entertainment, it's not like a dvd where making some films take years and hundreds of millions. I only consume small slices of the album pie so record companies shoul wake up to the fact that albums are dead, no-one loves every song on an album and should not be expecting so much in royalties!. As if I could afford to pay 79p a track for a low quality copy of what I can get from the Ruskies for 6p!.

Also 99.9% of the stuff I download is pre 2000 so my downloads will have no impact on the today's music scene, of which I know little about.

23. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Legal it may be. But moral?"

I am a consumer and I consume (while trying to pay for it as little as possible).

If not paying higher price starts to trouble my conscience, I'll donate to an impoverished former musician’s charity. Thus far I haven’t had such an compulsion.

24. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a little off the issue but it's nice to read a thread w/o a gasping mention of "iPod" in every second sentence.

I mean, how cool can be a fashion item that practically half of the population owns?

25. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I spent £25 on some fancy Sony earphones imported from China for my pod as I hated everyone being aware of what player I was using just because of those earphones, only trouble is when they came they didn't sound as good as the Apple standard ones :( plus the left one falls out all the time. Good way to waste money that.

26. huron

huron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking of the morality/legality of AllofMP3.com, the Russian police have just raided it (yesterday) and recommended that the prosecution service charge it with copyright violation. Apparently it was under investigation for the last month or so.

Basically, their legal bumpf was a crock. A rival to the official copyright society set itself up and started issuing licenses without any authority to do so. Unlikely that a single penny of the money they collected would ever make it back to the Western artists they sell there. Maybe some Russian musicians made something out of it, though, if you're into balalaika music.

Seems the old adage about how if it seems too good to be true, it probably is has struck again. I'd love it if a site turned up that was as well run and set up as that one, but was supported by artists, composers, and yes, even 'the industry', while charging no more than say 40p-50p a track.

27. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I read the full article about the police investigation and at the bottom there was a bit where they admitted any court case would be highly likely to fail. I wonder why they are only targetting Allofmp3, I also use http://www.mp3search.ru/ and there is also http://mp3spy.ru/en/ although I have not used the last one.

28. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ahhh, probably explains why there's been no new updates for a few days then. Bummer ! :thumbsdow

29. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, the site is still working but as pointed out no new updates.

Not too sure where you are coming from here, unless you are the MD for Universal music...

Do any of the record companies have sleepless nights before they release the special edition of an album by your favourite band 6 months after you have purchased the original version?

When they go on to release the special special edition with bonus dodgy remix or duff CD single bonus track (which you have already bought) do they toss and turn in their safe warm beds?

When they then go on to release the amazing 10th/20th/25th/50th (delete as applicable) anniversary edition of your favourite album complete with 'bonus' CD of demo's,session outtakes, horribly inaudible live tracks an oh, lest we forget, the never seen before amazing photographs....(yours for only £24.99 guv!)

Really, i could go on and on and on and on.

Sure, the artist deserves our support and they should be receiving a fair return for their efforts. To suggest that there is not enough money to further the career of a band like the Kaiser Chiefs must be wrong. Surely the cost of the latest Gareth Gates/Will Young video alone would be enough to employ most bands for a year or 2!

Most of us who have continued to support the music industry these last few years are truly sick of being fleeced time and time again (to even suggest that i am more greedy than your average record company is laughable...)

The music business has been in decline for years and the record labels/companies have no-one to blame but themselves.

Their in-ability to embrace new technology (and their continuing 'here today gone tomorrow - let's make a quick buck' philosophy to selling music) meant that when MP3 was all the rage 5-6 years ago they cried foul and proclaimed it the work of the devil :devil:

Had they considered it's obvious potential then they would be in a position now where they would be calling the shots.

What have now is a mostly half arsed attempt to join the 21st century.
    That's why most of us see allofmp3.com as a true godsend for true music fans (or even the occasional listener)

allofmp3.com offers us what we want. Downloads in a format and a bitrate that we choose, no DRM, a large and diverse artist catalogue and best of all a truly exceptional price point. (which i would gladly pay a little more for if it meant that the artist would receive a better share)

Nah, absolutely love U2 mate. All time favourite band. They deserve everything they have achieved in my opinion.
    However, would they have achieved the level of success they have today without the illegal copying of their early albums onto dodgy audio cassettes so that you could share them with your mates?

HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC - Not according to U2 manager Paul McGuinness it wasn't. Home taping is spreading music was his reply.
    In fact, early editions of U2 'October' had the album on one side of the cassette and the other side was left completely blank so you could copy something else onto it.
    Bono has also recently said that he doesn't mind fans making a couple of copies of the latest album to give to their mates.
    They have also endorsed the recording of live shows...

I truly believe that MP3 downloading is the digital equivalent of the above.

On a brighter note, it is great to see some truly fantastic new bands on the horizon. There does seem to be a genuine buzz around at the moment.
    However, how long will this last? Will any of these current bands be given the time to find their feet and get to the stage where they are releasing album number 4 or 5? Or, like so many before, will they be dumped before they have even had a chance to show the world what they are truly capable of?
    Here's hoping that MP3/AAC/WMA downloads etc can help spread the word. Perhaps one day, The Killers will be able to embark on world tour selling out venue after venue and their latest album (album number 7!) is eagerly awaited by millions of adoring fans :smashin:

30. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nice Spiel :clap: :clap: :clap: