Nappies

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 174041

Not the most elegant subject to talk about but I need a little help please.

Were expecting our first in October and theres one thing we cant decide on, yep you guessed it, 'Nappies'.

As far as im aware there are three types
1. Disposables
2. The really old ones that you wash
3. Newer ones that you wash.

Does anyone have any experiance in which is the best? I know disposables are the most expensive but im hoping to save alot of money and get the washable ones.
:thumbsup:

Our experience was that as soon as you see the damage that one of the little blighters can do in their pants; the results needed sealing in concrete and dumping in thenorth sea, not put into a little bin to soak and then onto a boil wash !. Each to their own though, good luck if you go for the resuable but my vote is for disposable. Maybe i'm a lazy sod but disposing of poop was pretty much bottom on my concerns list at the time.

For my 1st, nearly 30 years ago, we used terry nappies with nappy liners. They were quite good as long as the liner stayed in place. As Stoatman says the nappy then goes in to soak until there are enough for the washing machine. Main disadvantage was when away from home as you need to keep the nappy.

Last 2, nearly 10 years ago now, we used disposable. Much easier to deal with and give the impression they are more comfortable for the baby to wear. You can either put them in a poly bag then in to the bin or you can use a special type of bin that contains a long tube of polythene. Each nappy is put in and the lid twisted round to seal the smell in; the smell still gets out though.

As for cost I don't think there's much difference. Terry nappies are expensive and you'll probably have to replace them before the baby gives them up. Then you still need the liners. You could try without but it's very messy. Then you have the added cost of extra washing at high temperature plus the soap and fabric softener. There's also waterproof pants that are worn over the terry nappy as they get wet all the way through.

Travelling and just being out and about is also much better with disposable as they take up little space and you don;t have to take them home. You can also buy a small pack in an emergency.

We went down the reusable route. We used these ones:
Birth to Potty Nappy Hamper Set : Cotton nappies by Onelife
We found them to be very good. While the initial outlay for these is expensive, They do last from birth to potty.
The nappies themselves have a outer plastic cover which stops all the waste soaking through.
Then you have the actual nappy which has a detachable inner liner that soaks up all the moisture. Over the inner liner you have a paper liner which is there to reduce the amount of moisture which passes back through onto the babys skin. This paper liner also stops the solid waste coming into contact with the cotton nappy. So when you change the nappy you would just take the paper liner out and throw it down the toilet, and you would be left with a wet nappy.
You dont actually need to keep the dirty nappies in a bin of water as they dont need to be soaked as the solids dont come into contact with the nappy.

Looks like disposable ones look the most popular and easy to use. I was told by someone that most nappies whatever brand are basically the same because they never usually stay on long enough to have an effect. What do you guys think?

We have got 7 month old twins and looked extensively into reusable basically for the cost saving. After doing our sums it turned out to be pretty much comparable with disposable, this was backed up by talking to quite a few midwifes. We went with the disposable as they are so much easier and quicker which is the main thing for us, especially with twins!
Try the differnet brands too, we found that Tesco own brand for new born were excellent but after they went past that stage they weren't so good so use Pampers now. Huggies were poor too but I really think it depends on the baby, their shape and how they move around so be prepared to try them all!
Good luck with it!:thumbsup:

Looks like disposable ones look the most popular and easy to use. I was told by someone that most nappies whatever brand are basically the same because they never usually stay on long enough to have an effect. What do you guys think?

During the day, they could have a point (but we had a few disasters along the way). If your baby sleeps through the night - it's a good 12 hours of the same nappy, so you need something decent.

You can sign up to a company that sends you free nappies to trial (i'll ask the wife who it is), they basically send you loads of big brands, small brands & supermarket brands to test. From that we soon realised all the supermarket ones were crap, Huggies are crap & I wouldn't use anything but Pampers. "New Baby" & "Active Fit", didn't bother with their "Stay Dry"

My wife and I are gurus when it comes to cloth nappies. We decided to change from disposables as we thought about all the nappies we were putting to land fill and the fact that our bins got filled up with nappies and there wasn't space for actual rubbish.:rolleyes:

We have a whole stash of cloth nappies, such as pockets, fuzzi bunz brands, green kids velcro. The pockets are an all in one with waterproof outer layer with cloth (hemp, bamboo, microfibre inserts). Then you can terry cloth that you use a "nipper" Y-shaped rubber with teeth to secure the nappy across and use a separate wrap over this. There are many different types and colours of fabric too, or for different uses, newborn, night nappy. Some have their disadvantages and advantages. You can also use lanolised knitted wool shorts or trousers to act as a breathable outer layer.

Your washing / water usage will be higher, and cloth nappies are more expensive per nappy, but they last a long time. It is actually cheaper in the long run though compared to buying disposables all the time.

Here is a small selection of our large stash :smashin:

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0181.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0187.jpg

PICT5722.jpg

I admire anyone who has done my bit for the planet for me and used washable nappies, but I was able to live with my conscience and it was landfill all the way for us.

Our first and third were in Huggies and the middle one Pampers, because the current designs at the times seemed the better fit for that child. Each time their advertising execs tweak the design to attract a new generation of parents it can suddenly mean that a particular brand is suddenlyu less suited to your child.

As each grew older and into larger nappies they were moved to the cheaper supermarket brands as the finer engineering of the quality brands seems slightly less critical.

You might want to look into the nappy cleaning services that are available if you want to go re-usable and can afford :)eek:) them.

One word of advice: if you use disposables and visit friends or family who don't have very young children, don't leave a nappy perched fetchingly on top of the kitchen bin when you leave, however well wrapped, you may never get invited back :D try and take them home.

Dave

Disposable here too.:smashin:
We bought a heap from Makro only a week or so ago.
Worked out @ 9p per nappy.
Somewhere around 11p-15p a nappy at supermarket prices.
I think it's pampers we use (green packet anyway)
Their ability to hold stuff in is impressive.
Outward appearance normal, open the nappy and it's like there's been an explosion in a Cadbury factory.:eek:

I used disposable with our son. I admit to not even consider reusable simply because of the hassle; if you have time to spend on dealing with dirty nappies then why not but with disposable you change the baby and it's in the bin, done, more time to spend on good times with your new born.

I've used Pampers all the way and they've been fine for him.

Disposable all the way for us and we found Tesco and Asda own brand to be the best. Tried and wouldn't try again the huggies and Pampers, although huggies were better than pampers.
Disposable nappies and scented nappy bags are the way forward.

Disposable here too, we started off with Huggies when he was born but switched to Pampers as tey seemed to get rid of nappy rash...then he grew a bit and we switched back to Huggies.

Don't know what all the fuss is about, new born baby poo is very inoffensive, just smell's like wheat germ and does not even look like poo. Might be different with bottle feed babies though.

We used cloth nappies for the first six months; much nicer, comfortable and never had any nappy rash. Motherease are by FAR the best, so easy to use. Saves a fortune too. Just chuck them in a bucket of water and put through the washing machine every few days. I would say you need a minimum of 15 to make it efficient (washing machine on less).

Then when you start getting out of the house more often and start weaning to solids (proper poo, but still no big deal) you can switch to disposable like we did.

Last edited:
Disposables here as well.

When my 5 month old does explosive ones Pampers doesn't seem to contain it and it ends up all over his back. Huggies seem to do a better job. Maybe cos they have elastic around the waist and Pampers don't

We had every intention of doing our bit for the planet when our 10 month old was born but as many others have said, convenience, cost and for want of another word - laziness meant we opted for disposable. Currently using Tesco's own brand and have no complaints.

What on earth did we do before wipes were invented?? We must go through a packet every couple of days!

Word of advice No 2: Never flush a baby wipe :D A single wipe can block a sewage pipe all by itself...

Dave

I have to say that using re-usable nappies really doesn't take much more time than disposables. With practice you can have the old one off and a new one on extremely quickly.

People seem to think re-usables are going to be a lot more work but they are no hassle at all after a bit of practice. It's a bit of a myth that they are time consuming. They are not like the old terry toweling nappies with safety pins. Even if they poo in them, you use a sheet of liner which you just pull out and flush away (they are safe to flush). Absolute doddle to use!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom