Nano90 subpixel dimming bug

andrgin

Novice Member
Reaction score
Last week I have received my new NAno90 (exact model 65NANO903NA) and I am extremely happy with it except for one rather serious bug:

On all colors where is there is a bright subpixel mixed with a darker one (for example orange) tlever other line and column are brighter/darker resulting in a nasty chess board pattern so the effective resolution on these colors drops to 1080p.

Here is a photo of the pixel layout:
IMG_20201112_224419.jpg

And here is how it looks in reality:
IMG_20201115_234511.jpg

LG seems to mix panels for their Nanocell + LCD lineup as the shape of the subpixels is different. I believe that the pixel layout shown above is for the ADS panels and only ADS panels show this problem

rtings noticed the same effect on their UN8500:

I have tried all different settings on the TV and I can also rule out the graphics card as it is also present in demo mode.

At first I thought it is a physical limitation of the panel, but I dont think this is the case because
.) Each subpixels are dimming fine individually when the other 2 are not used or are darker.
.) When I generate a picture with the same cross pattern and align it the right way I can eliminate the effect completely and still receive the same good colors (at least for orange, I did not try other colors).

Note: You need to sit close enough to the TV to see the effect depending on how good your eyes are.

I have created a test pattern to test for this bug:
Subpixel dimming.png

Open the image with MS paint with 100% zoom and draw it across the screen at standard picture mode.

Without the bug:
.) One horizontal bar will contain solid orange
.) The other horizontal bar will show a mosquito net effect

With the dimming bug:
.) One horizontal bar with solid colors
.) The other bar flickering when being dragged across the screen changing from solid colors to very strong mosquito net effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom