Name the hose....

malk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bit of a strange one...here goes..
Last week, i did the stupid thing of trying to drive somewhere( the doctors, i was late), in rush hour Swindon traffic...
I was at a junction, a car in front of me, and i was getting impatient, i admit it.
I was looking to the right, and keeping a bit of an eye on the car in front, but looking to the right a bit more.
I noticed there was a gap in the traffic, looked ahead, the car brake lights went out, so i thought the car in front was moving,...it had stalled, i hit the back of it.
I fully held responsability, apologised etc, but the driver , wasnt having any of it, she started to get really angry, swearing, etc,,,then she said she was worried as she had just finished her drink driving ban.
We both pulled over into a car park, where againn she went mental, i gave her my details, when i asked for hers she told me to fudge off, and drove off( after stalling again).
I still havent heard from her insurers , this was last Wednesday.
Anyways, my car , a 2002 VW Passat, 1.9TDI, no mods, sufferd a passenger side headlight broken, little bit of a bent Nearside wing, and now i have a strange noise coming from the engine when i accelerate, it sounds like the air going in to the turbo.
Also, there is what seems to be a bit of oil coming from a big fat hose, from behind the nearside( passenger) light unit.
I wiggled it about , and it is quite loose, so , im thinking, this hose, does something with the air, and is maybe going to the turbo.(causing the air sound)
Also its chucking out black smoke when i accelerate.
Its right behind the passenger light, and looks like it was knocked in the bang.
My question (after the longest story ), is how do i find out what type and make the hose is to be able to order one??
Its a dead easy fix, ive orderd a new light from ebay,(25.99), thats from a passat, and i can also get another wing, unpainted , for 39.99, there is a paint shop near my work, so all i need now is to find out what this hose is.
Ive looked for some sort of ID numbers on it, cant see any.

Sounds like the intercooler hose.

$_35.JPG

I fully held responsability, apologised etc, but the driver , wasnt having any of it, she started to get really angry, swearing, etc,,,then she said she was worried as she had just finished her drink driving ban.
We both pulled over into a car park, where againn she went mental, i gave her my details, when i asked for hers she told me to **** off, and drove off( after stalling again).
Why would she be worried? unless she was pissed :) I bet you never hear from her.

Probably not insured either if she'd seen her post ban premium.

Why would she be worried? unless she was pissed :) I bet you never hear from her.
She seemed to think , for a while, that she would be to blame, after i explained it was my fault, she then, got even more angry, asking if i was pissed, why did i do it, .She was very confused, and TBH, i dont think it was her car, it was a 1 series BMW, she spoke to her boyfreind on the phone, he repeated what i had said, and she listened to him.
Not once did she ask if i was OK, .She did say how bad it would be if she had cracked her nose on the steering wheel,, she was playing the victim, but angrily.
She looked like a 25-30 chav, who kept calling me BRUV, tutting alot, and had loads of make up, wouldnt be surprised if she had a white powder problem...that sort of type.
I was thinking here comes the whiplash blag.

its not that side, it looks like the one on the other side, attached to the , what looks like a little radiator...any ideas what that one is? i think marked as No 10.
Only put the pic up to show what's down there. It's still one of the inter cooler hoses.

Yup, nice one, i think its called the lower turbo inter cooler hose...

Managed to get the part number, nice one for that little diagram!!.
Got one on order..Thank you!!

I take it you've reported the collision to the local police station just to cover yourself in case she tries to pull a fast one.

If she was acting a bit weird at the time maybe you should have called the cops anyway. If she was under the influence and over the limit (drink or drugs) insurance (if she had as pointed out) may be null and void? Depends on insurance company maybe? But in any case fault goes 100% against the person over the limit - or is that something else I dreamed of about 26 years ago? It might have been applied to me in my younger foolish days :blush:

Yup, sounds like a leaking boost hose.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Also have a good look around the front in the engine compartment for other possible damage. Has the intercooler or anything else seemingly shifted for example? Can you see any bent supports?

Ive had a good look, and a better one when the light comes out, it does seem the hose was rubbing on a bit of the bracket( it sticks out and rests right onto the hose, like a sort of raised lip) and there is a bit of residue , like carbon build up, looks like a little while , and this knock has fully dislodged it.
It wouldve needed doing at somepoint anyway.

I managed to source a new hose, from Turkey!! 30 quid, i was hoping on a fiver!! 2nd hand ones go for about the same price.
Im at least a bit happy knowing i can sort it.
Was thinking the worst, i told the insurance company and asked what my options where to fix it(not knowing what was wrong), she said because of the age of the car, scrapped!!!
Mental, so i might as well go just 3rd party fire and theft as the fully comp does not work with this car!!

she said because of the age of the car, scrapped!!!
I wonder if this suits them because modern care are more complex to repair so that justifies higher premiums.

I agree with @outoftheknow, the situation was suspicious enough that you should've called the Police there and then. It may have just been her attitude causing all the weirdness, or it may have been something else - I guess you'll never know now.

She seemed to think , for a while, that she would be to blame, after i explained it was my fault, she then, got even more angry, asking if i was pissed, why did i do it, .She was very confused, and TBH, i dont think it was her car, it was a 1 series BMW, she spoke to her boyfreind on the phone, he repeated what i had said, and she listened to him.
Not once did she ask if i was OK, .She did say how bad it would be if she had cracked her nose on the steering wheel,, she was playing the victim, but angrily.
She looked like a 25-30 chav, who kept calling me BRUV, tutting alot, and had loads of make up, wouldnt be surprised if she had a white powder problem...that sort of type.
I was thinking here comes the whiplash blag.
All that is irrelevant, was she fit?

sort of, in a cocaine-bint way,.

Lil update, my truck was in for its 6week service at work, so i had a good look inside my car, under the bonnet.
Seems its the actuall intercooler unit thats taken a knock, i can feel the air coming out on the top of the unit.
Theres a hard plastic joiner on the top of the unit, thats cracked.
Ive orderd a new part from some bloke off ebay, £35, reckons its the right fit, mananged to get part number off the old broken unit, and started to take the wheel off, the front bumper, ready for when it arrives.
Also, as i remember, she was also on about settling for cash..£2000 she wanted, when i said i havent even got £2, thats when she couldnt get away quick enough, looks like it may have been a crash for cash sorta thing.

I wonder if this suits them because modern care are more complex to repair so that justifies higher premiums.
Yes, thats what i think, as far as she was aware, it was only the headlight and a slight ding.
Yet she was quite adament it would be written off.
For me, thats no good, i wouldnt get hardly any cash, plus they take the excess off...waste of time being fully comp...
I needed the car fixed, mind you, im hoping ive managed it for a fraction of the cost, still if i where to try and get it fixed under the insurance, i wouldnt happen.

looks like it may have been a crash for cash sorta thing.
Well done for standing your ground (and politely).

Ive talked to a cpouple of people at work about it, and as always, (after the fact), the pieces go together.
I really didnt think much of it, you know, swap details , move on, job done.
Only after , do i realise the situation,.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom