Name that cable

Skyline

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to connect my pc to my tv ideally i would still have the pc display on my monitor as well. the tv is sony bravia kdl40w5500 and the pc is acer aspire with Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT.

HDMI is usually best as it carries audio as well, does your laptop have a HDMI connection?

the dvi-hdmi should work but that wouldnt allow me to have the picture on two screens would it ?

the dvi-hdmi should work but that wouldnt allow me to have the picture on two screens would it ?

It would, but dvi doesn't carry audio. I have a DVI-HDMI cable (Video) along with a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (Audio)

It would, but dvi doesn't carry audio. I have a DVI-HDMI cable (Video) along with a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (Audio)
My DVI to HDMI adapter is full with pins and carry audio as well.

i have the sound coming through my stero anyways
but the question remains can i have two screens coming from one pc ?

Yes, you would be able to run the system as 2 individual screens, just select the corresponding option in the Display Properties of your PC.

Ref the DVI Connector which has all its pins and can carry audio, yes DVI-I can carry audio however, no DVI connections on PC's will transmit Audio.

Hope this helps you

P.S. If you connect via HDMI from a Laptop then the settings should change automatically when you connect the cable.

so where do i plug the dvi-hdmi cable into the pc then because there is already a cable connected

If I am understanding you correctly, I don't think you can.
I don't believe a single monitor output can drive 2 displays.
You would need either a dual head graphics card, or a second display card fitted...

My pc also has this slot
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/3482/dsc00029q.jpg
maybe it could be used to connect to tv ?
dsc00029q.jpg

yeah there is a picture of the other slot it could be the vga you are talking about

So if you're sorted on the audio all you need is a DVI-HDMI cable.

It would be a pain disconnected the monitor and connecting the tv everytime so i am looking for another solution maybe this other slot (pictured above) could be the answer?

It would be a pain disconnected the monitor and connecting the tv everytime so i am looking for another solution maybe this other slot (pictured above) could be the answer?
Daveaka has already answered your question. Simply get a DVI-HDMI cable and connect the DVI to your PC (using the connector you've pictured above) and connect the HDMI end to a spare HDMI socket on your TV. Once connected you can set your PC to output to 2 separate montiors (one of which being your TV) - as you're using an nVidia graphics card this is prob best done through their nView software which should have been installed when you installed drivers.

Last edited:
now i understand that the DVI slot is the "other" one(pictured) and i can keep my monitor hooked up through what i presume is the VGA slot
thank you all for your help, i will post an update when i get my cable!

I have the cable and plugged it in and configured nvidia settings to multiple displays but .......... you cannot have the mouse on both screens at the same time you have to set a primary display!

Last edited:
I have the cable and plugged it in and configured nvidia settings to multiple displays but .......... you cannot have the mouse on both screens at the same time you have to set a primary display!
That's correct, but the mouse will pan across both screens. eg, if your primary screen is on the left then keep moving the mouse right until it appears on the second screen (in this instance, your TV). I think there are 3 different options when using 2 monitors (dual view, clone and expand desktop), have a play with these and see which suits your needs best.

another problem is my tv is on the right but in nview is shows as on the left and there seems to be no way to change this
the options are amazing i have clone display which basically shows the same picture on btoh screens and the default option where you have to choose a primary display and move the mouse through the screens

Last edited:
another problem is my tv is on the right but in nview is shows as on the left and there seems to be no way to change this
the options are amazing i have clone display which basically shows the same picture on btoh screens and the default option where you have to choose a primary display and move the mouse through the screens
Which monitor have you set as the primary display?

pc monitor which is to the right of tv, nview wont move it to the other side as far as i can tell

Last edited:
pc monitor which is to the right of tv, nview wont move it to the other side as far as i can tell
So the monitor itself is actually to the left of the TV but in the nView display it shows the monitor on the right and the TV on the left, is that correct? Have you tried dragging the monitor over to the left in the nView software (not sure if it will allow this but worth a try)?

The positioning of the monitors in nView may be connector specific, does your monitor have a dvi input and, vice versa, does your TV have a VGA input?

the tv is to the left of the monitor but nview shows it being on the right
my vga cable isnt long enough to get to the tv

In Windows XP bring up your Display Properties, click on the 'Settings' tab, and then drag the icons of the monitors into the correct positions. Apply then OK, and see if that fixes it for you :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom