name that 70's kids tv show programmme?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gary D, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    at a party on Saturday night some friends and I started talking about old kids TV, a programme was mentioned that we all remember but none of us can name (i told them Garrett would know :) )

all we know (remember) is that involved a girl (could have been a boy) looking out of her bedroom window and seeing a load of standing stones in the field next door. These stones had some kind of power but we cant remember what :rolleyes: We think it would have aried in the early to mid 70's.

Any ideas?

Gary

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    cheers keanyboy, glad to see you survived your birthday!!!

Gary

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Only stayed out until 1am i think gary, i'd been out since 2 though, necked a fair few. Can't be good good for the old liver:lesson:

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,023
    Some pics here and there is a DVD out of the series if your interested.

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Garrett & Keanyboy,

thanks for your help, i've been texting friends all morning to tell them about "Children of the Stones" - they are most impressed - even if they do think were just a bit sad. Although one of my friends collects bits of old steam engines - so pot calling the kettle black there then :laugh: i did point out that he didnt think i was that sad when i was watching Star Wars before release day!

Thanks again.

Gary

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say the series was not Children of the Stones but Escape Into Night,which was based on the book Mariannes Dreams by Catherine Storr.The giveaway is you mentioned a girl in a room.COTS is indeed about stones,but EIN concerns a girl who in ill in bed and has dreams that affect reality and she creates these stones in her dreams,along with other things that gradually becomes more and more deadly.The girl looking out the window is possibly an image you remember from COTS,but most of the story was about a boy and his dad.I prefer to think its EIN as the looking out the window is an image that runs throughout the whole of EIN.What do you think?Have I rung any different bells.COTS was 1977,EIN was around 72/73.Does that help?

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Phelings is right, it's not COTS.

AT LAST you've put a title to a TV prog that's been bugging me for years! :clap:

This 'stones programme' topic has come up before and i've done searches on the net and every time 'Children of the Stones' comes up, including this one...until Phelings came up with the CORRECT programme.

I too remember a girl ill in bed drawing images of her dreams and 'evil stones' moving outside!

Of all the stills i've seen of COTS I must say it didn't look like the series I'd seen all those years ago and was pretty sure it was well before 1977. But nothing else ever came up so in the end I convinced myself it must have been COTS.

Also I'm pretty sure similar subject matter came up in a British horror film in the 80s or 90s although not the whole film just near the end. Probably a totally different story but what was it called?

Anyway, Phelings thanks for putting to rest the most annoying 'What was that prog called' that has been plaguing me for years.

Cheers :smashin:

EDIT:

There were quite a few of these 'spooky' kids TV programmes in the 70s. Remember The Boy From Space?, that really spooked me!

I also vaguley remember a UK TV prog (early 70s) about young coloured boy (possibly more kids) who used to carry around some sort of 'artefact/device' that used to shout 'BOY' a lot (not very PC, but it was the early 70s!).
    I remember him dressed in really old, possibly Victorian or Edwardian costume and i'm sure the device transported him through time or places.

Another one that's bugged me for years.
    Anyone remember this one?
    [/EDIT]

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have not seen it,the UK movie you refer to is Paperhouse.Iam not 100% sure,but I think it may be based on the same book as Escape Into Night ,an ATV production which most likely has gone the way of Timeslip and other ATV stuff of that era,and is either lost,or only existing in B&W

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking deeper about Escape Into NIght,and although most of what I said still stands,I am now unsure if its her drawings that affect her dreams which appear real,or whether it all affects proper reality.The memory cheats.....

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,023
    I must say when I read about the stones I immediately thought of Freddie Jones and looked up what he was in and he was in COTS.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Paperhouse, of course, that's the one.
    Not a bad horror film from what I can remember.

It was after seeing this years ago that made me think of the TV series, but there was no net back then to do any research.

Yep, after digging deeper and reading the messageboard on IMDB about Paperhouse, it is indeed based on the same book and is the film version' of Escape into the Night' (Marianne's Dreams).

More info HERE

That wraps that one up all nice and neat.

Nice one Phelings :smashin:

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    by jove, i think you might have something there. i told my wife last night and she said no "77 is too late". and now you mention about the "drawing" it seems to be falling into place.

cheers

Gary

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont remember the other one as born in 71

15. phelings

phelings