Nakamichi AVP1 Power Amp Owners' Thread

For what it's worth, I have two AVP1's from the second batch (£299) that have worked flawlessly since day one. Bargains!

I have one from the initial (£200) batch and one at £299 with no problems, but it's the faulty items that show how good a companies customer service is and in this case it seems to be lacking.

So what is the options open to people with faulty units?

I asked about buying one with free postage and got a reply within an hour from Ian!.

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm asking something that has been answered already but it's just way too long to go through all the posts.

What iIm interested to know is how this amp would perform if being used just for two channel music listening in a Hi Fi setup?

Cheers

It is a solid state amplifier with low distortion and is capable of driving difficult loads (as I have found with my speakers which sit at about 3 ohms average.) It has no noticeable "sound" per se that might suggest poor design. Very good value for money.

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm asking something that has been answered already but it's just way too long to go through all the posts.

What iIm interested to know is how this amp would perform if being used just for two channel music listening in a Hi Fi setup?

Cheers
I've tried mine in 2 Channel mode with several pairs of speakers and have to say it is a very clean sounding amplifier, with plenty of Power and Current (+/- 30 amps each channel) so plays very loud without losing composure.

I guess with such a massive Power Supply dedicated to just 2 channels it competes with some very expensive high quality Amps. (there are very few stereo amps with a 1000 watt Transformer and 90,000uF of capacitance. So in 2 channel duties, it is probably able to compete with 250 watt stereo Amps.

It sounds as good as my Roksan Caspian and plays louder.

Interestingly the circuitry in the AVP1 looks almost identical to the Sherborne PA 7-150 Power Amp, but the Nakamichi has a few subtle improvements imo.

The Sherbourn was over $1200 dollars in the USA and came with a 10 year warranty.

The AVP1 is surely the best HiFi/AV bargain of my life. :thumbsup:

I had some big plans for Hi Fi upgrade but the reality kicked in after Christmas and I had to dial back my spending plans. I ended up looking at a pair of Audiolab 8200MB mono blocks and was even offered a really good price on new 8300MB but just this morning AVP1 caught my eye.

I've seen the name popping up a few times in the past but never paid any attention to it. Having had a closer look at it now it looks like that even at the current asking price of £600 it would be silly not to give this a try. :)

I have had audiolab gear both UK and Chinese made and the latter caused me no
end of trouble. My advice is to avoid...

Well, just finished reading all the 21 pages on this thread and it was a long read i'll tell you that. Unfortunately i'm a little bit less optimistic about this product now purely due to declining support from the supplier.

Does anyone know if there are genuine reasons the support is lacking right now?

I don't think there is a support issue right now.

Maybe a few months ago, when they had just taken over new premises and orders were flying out the door.

I think the issue now is they can't keep up with demand for more amps.

Congratulations to the lucky few hundred. lol.

I went to ian with my amp and he personally modified it while i watched :) his new building was under development so he was extremely busy..he had way more important things on his plate so he is customer focused. Unfortunately there was a spell of poor contact and support but i think this was due to ian going back to south Africa and getting married etc things seam to be improving with support for owners thankfully.

I've had no issues and loving my amp. Amazing value too boot.

Mine are running perfectly too....

My pair are running flawlessly at present too, it's turned out to be the best AV bargain ever. I was dubious about what I was getting for £200 a pop but I'm so glad I've been proved wrong there really fantastic.

Unfortunately there was a spell of poor contact and support but i think this was due to ian going back to south Africa and getting married etc things seam to be improving with support for owners thankfully.

Ah that would explain. I'm sure I'll give this amp a try after all. :laugh:

My pair are running flawlessly at present too, it's turned out to be the best AV bargain ever. I was dubious about what I was getting for £200 a pop but I'm so glad I've been proved wrong there really fantastic.
You were one of the very lucky ones.

A stereo amp with this performance will be about £1000 now. :facepalm:

You were one of the very lucky ones.

A stereo amp with this performance will be about £1000 now. :facepalm:

Yes Mike I just happened to be at the right place at the right time for once lol

Mine work better than they did thanks to the advice I took to go back to RCA between them, but my RP6/Grayham Slee communicator still trips it 90% of the time which annoys me.

So I have a big issue with my AVP1. Been getting hum through speakers and thinking it could be a ground loop between my pre and power so I popped off the tops to check the grounding connections.

anybody else here confirm that this amp is supposed to not have anything connected to the earth pin on the IEE socket? Because the power lead on my amp has 3 pin, yet there is nothing connected the other side to earth the unit. I've been informed it may be a CLASS II device yet there are no markings or indication on the rear panel confirming this......

Attachments

• 000_3710.jpg
    000_3710.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 85
The Chassis of the AVP1 is not connected to ground, so the earth is not connected internally.

It is double insulated.

Any ground loop issues you have are caused by wiring between components.

Is that confirmed? There is no mention in the manual or on the case about it being double insulated. Is there something inside I should be looking for to confirm this?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom