Nakamichi AV1 Pre-Pro Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Jaunty, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    This describes everything that i have found also on the very same software version V1.52.02.61

2. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    They're only little niggles anyway at the end of the day. Won't be parting with mine any day soon.

3. JEDIBLADE

JEDIBLADE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I suspect a lot of us (myself included) have let things go that we wouldn't have if the unit was more expensive. I've had and are still having problems with both the pre and power amp, of course because there both under warranty I have the option to return them.

I wonder if this will be the case when the new upgraded pre comes out at 3 or 4 times the price of the current one?

4. alandbush

alandbush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That's good to know, but I am confused as your post below suggests that you have experienced issues when the signal format changes.

5. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Well no biggy but if ive been listening to music in stereo mode and change to a film that's say 5.1! its stayed in stereo mode , so all i then do is quickly flick from on one sourse back and all is good.................And its corrected itself everytime.

6. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Of course it will. THIS pre-amp was £600-800 on release. It's an end of life product that i'm guessing stopped being manufactured at least a year if not two ago. We have gotten New Old Stock for peanuts!

7. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Oppo still released firmware for the 83SE, long after newer models came out. I'd expect major bugs to be fixed though.

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Well I hope not. I've bought and kept mine based on the idea that any problems will be worked on and put right in time. I was under the impression Ian was working through the problems as they came up but maybe I'm wrong.

I would be surprised if they tried to release a more expensive new model knowing potential customers may well find this thread to find issues haven't been put right in the past. It would certailnly put me off anyway.

9. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Indeed. Oppo also had a big hit with that player.......For whatever reason this didn't take off at all. It got a poor What Hifi review and I think that's all the press it got. The Emotiva UMC-200 was the one that got a lot of press abroad both good and bad due to some issues. They've released a few bug fixes in the firmware, but I don't think everything is fixed and it's been lifed now.

I was quite surprised that we got a firmware update, but I think that it's about the same level as the Emotiva, but built for the Nak. I doubt we will get any more.

It's a great processor, but it has a few niggles. The odd pop here and there and the auto-set-up is flakey, so you need to tweak it and ideally EQ it properly with REW

Accept the bargain it is with those, or sell it on, if you can't live with it, would be my advice, They seem to be trading in the forums for cost, so you haven't lost much!

10. JEDIBLADE

JEDIBLADE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I don't agree, for a start a lot of us have had more than the odd pop and is it too much to ask that we buy something that works without issue. The price its put up for sale is irrelevant, that's up to the retailer. Did it say on the nakamichi website 'yes its cheap, but there's a few issues'? In the AV world we're used to problems with HDMI, some blu rays not playing, buzzing from amplifiers etc but just because we accept that doesn't make it right.

The reasoning 'if you don't like it, sell it' is ridiculous, as with most things you don't just buy the av gear, you buy interconnects, maybe a new unit to house your new piece of kit, change things around i.e invest your time. Then to find out it doesn't work properly is just not acceptable. Rant over.

11. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    If you buy one it should be a given that you also budget for the umik-1 mic and download REW!! And compared to years previous is a walk in the park to use...................To go even further and to have something in place for sub eq would be to also implement the minidsp 2x4 for an even more complete package.

12. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,176
    The mini dsp, is it purely a manual calibration or can auto EQ?

13. Cr8cket

Cr8cket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Ok

A quick update after an insane 6 weeks, and I am really sorry for not being online as much as I should have been. So if anyone want to speak to me directly email me on [email protected], I will respond as quick as I can else call me the number is on the website.

I have finally received all the cards which I hope will finally resolve any XLR issues that have been cropping up.

I have also finalised the preamp that will be available in the 4th Quarter, It will launch for £399.99 for the first 30 days thereafter will revert to its Normal Retail price 499.99.

2 x HDMI output, however only 1 will be ARC.
    Streaming onboard (DLNA, Airplay, and local playback of Video Files through USB)
    Some level of DSD support
    HDMI 2 Support
    6 x HDMI inputs
    Additional formats supported
    MPEG4 MPEG2 MPEG1 Xvid DAT AVI VOB RM RMVB MP3 WAV DVD-ISO BD-ISO BD-9 BD-25 D5 D9 APE OGG FLAC PCM MKV
    Audio: Dolby TrueHD、Dolby Digital Plus、Dolby Digital(EX)、DTS、DTS ES(D6.1、M6.1)、DTS 96/24、up to 192K 7.1CH PCM.
    Unfortunately no DAB Support, Sorry about that

Hopefully that gives you a taste

As for the Power Amp I will be moving the price up to its Actual Retail price 599 ex vat, I will most likely not bring out a follow up unit till 1st qtr next year once I have locked down what we are doing on the ATMOS/AURO etc

Ian

14. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    Looks promising. Put me down for one. If you want a beta tester happy to help ;-)

What about eq? Will it have the same as this one. Surround back eq ability?

Not fussed about Dts:x/ Atmos, I take it the hdmi are going to be the full bit rate hdcp 2.2 ones?

15. Cr8cket

Cr8cket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Yes to both questions

16. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    Well I think you have to go into this with your eyes wide open. It was clearly made from similar parts to the emotiva umc-200 and runs on the same software platform. Expecting perfection is a little unrealistic. Emotiva weren't able to do it so what chance has Ian got. We got a firmware update that looks on paper to be the newest out there, I think he's done all he can. If you have major issues then that's obviously a warranty issue and you should get a repair or replacement.

17. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Or a refund.

18. steve 1979

steve 1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ian can you confirm whether or not there'll be any more firmware updates for the AV1 in the furure?

Thanks.

19. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Well in fairness, when you buy a product I don't think you shoud be expected to investigate other companies similar products in order to predict problems. One might argue that should have been something Nak did themselves.

20. Cr8cket

Cr8cket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Yes there be ongoing updates as we iron out the niggles.

21. Cr8cket

Cr8cket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    I am continually in contact with the developers, and will release update as I am satisfied it makes a real difference. One thing about software releases if you do it to quickly one can create a bigger problem than was before. So rest assured if the manufacturer wants both yours and my hard earned pounds they will have to work for it.

22. kwazi

kwazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    so is it worth upgrading from the av1 to this new preamp? will the eq be better (less loud),have fewer niggles generally?
    with the glitches reported on the current model have all these been taken care of to produce an even better sounding and reliable preamp![emoji4]

23. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    I am hanging on for an official release of firmware as ian said unless you want to be a beta tester prepared to take a chance additional problems it might create its best waiting for a stable fully tested release.
    Thanks for the update Ian

24. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Martin - The update appears stable and actually so is the platform. I had a play installing some of the other manufacturers firmwares and some of them will run to a fashion, though you loose certain aspects (Bluetooth, dab), however you can easily return it to the previous problematic version :-D

25. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    Oh.. I read reports of it mixing speakers up etc in settings so you end up with two pairs of rears. Mine is running pretty well apart from the odd pop now and then and it locks into signals etc via hdmi ok so i will just wait it out and see if a later release is worth it.

26. Cr8cket

Cr8cket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    I would say yes, as I have brought in a lot more for very little price adjust. As well as adding/leaning it towards hifi as an added bonus. Of course having additional formats, outputs and inputs is a massive bonus.

I am confident it will have a lot less niggles or none, fingers crossed, as for the eq I have still opted keep a similar to current, to keep the price competitive. This will be updated on the unit coming out next year. Still massive amount of negotiations still to go through to make that happen.

27. 69COU

69COU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Great to hear all existing people will be sorted shortly which is a credit to Ian. Back in 2007 I paid massive amounts for a Cyrus system that included their AV8Master http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product-archive/master-series/av-master-8-0-digital-av-decoderThis was never sorted out on firmware updates although some were and as I was able to put up with it slow locking into signal types to decode etc. I never sent back. Some time later at about 3 years old it developed a hum on a channel. Out of warranty it was decommissioned on my rack. Remembering that it cost about £1000 I thought I would investigate repair at £280 from Cyrus as even on second hand market thought would be wanted by a cyrus fan,only to then find out they no longer support any repairs to this series of equipment.

28. benvader0815

benvader0815
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jepp, that is a very good solution. I own also a 2x4 balanced for my 4 subs and it works great :)

- The new pre supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2?
    - The surround backs are also to equalizing?

OMG :thumbsup:

When will you post more specs??? Specs like audioprocceors/converters, steps of the manual PEQ (hz, Q and gain), LFE output (singe or double with seperate managment) :lease:

Perhaps there is no way for me to stay at the AV1 :facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  29. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,176
    I have decided to wait and give the new processor a try if it has new HDMI specs as I plan to buy a lazer projector within the next couple of years so may as well future proof it..

30. Cr8cket

Cr8cket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Lol. I will be posting specs once I have the pre production model that way I can take photographs and put it on pre order.

Ian