1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

naims for cinema?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buns, May 24, 2001.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have decided that my cinema gear has been getting way too much attention recently and the hi fi has gotten somewhat neglected, so I am in the way for a pre/power amp for stereo at about £1500. My intiial searchs have all led me to Naim....the sound is just soooooo good.....fast sharp and rhythmical! I am guessing this is a good combination for use as my front channel for cinema....has anyone any experience of this???? thanks

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Buns:

You're in luck! Naim are bringing out their own AV processor in the coming months (soon hopefully!). Should be pretty good, but don't expect DTS ES or DPL II straight away, though it may be software upgradeable.

Will post when I get info from work!

Rick

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow......an AV processor from Naim!!!! What is the world coming to!

I have to admit to a slight reluctance to combine cinema and hifi. IN my experience, It cost an awful lot of money to get the stereo performance of £1500 of 2 channel kit from cinema stuff. I guess that this processor you mention will be a fairly high end affair.....perhaps to rival the new Linn. Unfortunately that would break the bank alot! For now i feel that I will have to continue as I am and have my hifi driving the front channels and use a cheaper cinema amp to drive the rest.....anyways, its the music that matters most so thats where my money should go!

But to the point, apart from connections to Naims being a small nightmare, what do they sound like in a home cinema context? I have never heard or even heard of anyone using Naim as their homecinema amplification, but i know there must be someone who knows about it!!! So if that someone is reading, please enlighten me!

thanks alot

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (Edit: Sorry this seems out of context, there were no replies to this thread when I started.)

I have a combination Hi-Fi/Home Cinema system where the main power amps are used by both systems, although in my case I use Krell amps not Naim. I auditioned Naim and found them to be an excellent amp although my personal preference is for Krell.

Do you intend to use your Home Cinema preamp for Hi-Fi use or are you going to use a separate Hi-Fi preamp?

My advice, if you want to get the best out of both systems would be to use a separate Hi-Fi preamp, or maybe a Naim integrated amp and feed the output from the Home Cinema preamp into one of the line-inputs on the Naim integrated. By way of a benchmark, I use a Lexicon DC1 for Home Cinema and an Audio Synthesis Dax Decade digital preamp for Hi-Fi, the DC1 is excellent for Dolby Digital but I find it's left wanting when asked to reproduce music (something I found with all my previous Home Cinema amps, 2 Denons and a Cyrus).

[ 24-05-2001: Message edited by: GaryG ]

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary:
    First off i would like to compliment you on what seems to be a very fine audio set up!!

As my system stands, I have a Yamaha A5 doing duties for my rear and centre speakers, I then have the front channel preouts run to my Marantz integrated.....I assume this is what you mean to get the best out of the system. I am planning to basically exchange the Marantz for something altogether superior, such as the junior Naim 5 series pre power combo or indeed anything that I can find that matches it! I would love to avoid having to have a pre amp for hifi plus basically another one for cinema, but my dealer is of the opinion that I need to spend serious cash.....maybe a couple of thousand.....to get a multi channel pre amp that beats the naim in stereo. So for now it looks like I am stuck with another box on the racks.....but ultimately I guess this is the best way to achieve quality stereo sound.

thanks

Adam

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam

Yes, your setup is the way to go.

Here's some stuff to get the old 'grey matter' working, taken from the customers comments section on www.williamshart.com in the power amps section. No warranties, implied or otherwise! but what the hell, why not go along and have a listen to what he's flogging.

WILLIAMS HART MONO BLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS

Recently, of necessity, I was forced to look to raise some money from sale of part of my Hi-Fi system.

My Hi-Fi comprised of a Townsend Rock Reference turntable,a Naim Pre Amp plus Linn Clout power amp and AE2 Loudspeakers.

I decided to sell the Linn Amp and replace it with Williams Hart Mono Block power amps to raise my cash.

I was expecting as a result of this forced sale to sacrifice some sound quality from my system.

To my surprise and delight the Williams Hart Amps comfortably out performed my much more expensive amp. Without going into Hi Fi speak they have given me more music and less Hi-Fi type sound and to this day I am very pleased with them and no longer feel the need to spend large amounts of money on flavour of the month Hi-Fi amps.

With my new found confidence in the Williams Hart power Amps I decided to try their Phono stage and Andante Power supply.I am pleased to say this Phono stage is every bit as good as their Power Amps and with a passive pre amp more than matches the performance of much more expensive equipment I have heard at Hi-Fi dealers and exhibitions.
    M Booth
    Lancashire

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wow again! You had something that i thought wasnt possible.....a naim and a linn working side by side.....that must have taken quite some system matching!!

Unfortunately, being in NI gives the disadvantage that it makes it very tough for me to demo anything obscure. I am forced to stick to what my local dealers can come up with, or something i can hear from a friend and then buy mail order. As good as u make these amps sound, my only chance is that I happen to be over on the mainland for some obscure reason. But all things are possible!

I have alot more demoing to do, the money I am talking about gives me a very broad band of amplifiers to look at. It will be fun, that i am sure!!

Adam

8. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam

Just to clarify, the comment was taken from the customer comments page on the williamshill site, not my own experience.

Good luck with your auditioning!

9. Steve Willett

Steve Willett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns :

I am using a Denon AVC 10SE at the moment to drive centre and rears with a Naim Pre/Power combo plus Hi-cap power supply driving my front L & R.
    The Denon in its own right sounds good but hooking up the Naims, the system sounds fantastic. Dynamics on DVDs are superb and soundtracks take on a new dimension. The only slight drawback is that the sound isn't quite as seamless across the three front channels as i would like.
    And like you said as a stand alone Hi-fi set up Naim is pretty hard to beat.

Cheers

Steve