Naim Unity Atom without smart phone?

brian8591

I did try asking Naim about this, but they didn't bother to reply. Basically I need a DAC/streamer/amp to listen to flacs on a USB hard drive which contains all my ripped CDs. I'm not interested in streaming services. I also no longer own a smart phone (they annoy the hell out of me), so I need to know if it is possible to use the Atom without one. Is it feasible to use its own screen to navigate the contents of the directory structure on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
To be honest if you are spending that on a an amp/streamer then a couple of hundred quid for an iPad/tablet/old smart phone to contol it is in the noise!

The phone does not need to be functional as a phone, just connected to your local wifi, it basically acts as a remote control but a bit smarter basically telling the Atom to go fetch the music from your server, no data passes through the phone/tablet etc.

brian8591

To be honest if you are spending that on a an amp/streamer then a couple of hundred quid for an iPad/tablet/old smart phone to contol it is in the noise!

The phone does not need to be functional as a phone, just connected to your local wifi, it basically acts as a remote control but a bit smarter basically telling the Atom to go fetch the music from your server, no data passes through the phone/tablet etc.
Thanks for the reply. It's not the cost of a smart phone (although I resent having to provide what is, in effect, an expensive remote), I just hate the damn things, the way people are obsessed with them, the effects they are having on people, using them myself, charging them up, etc, etc. I just need to know if I can use any of these modern streamers without one.

xmb

It would not be possible to use the Naim, as it does not have a touchscreen like the NAD M10 that would be needed to navigate a connected drive or NAS server. Given you want to be able to select music while sitting conformably then you really need a screen in your hand.

As already mentioned this does not have to be a phone, it can be a cheap tablet (£70) that cost no more than a remote for some systems!

xmb

If you don't like phones or tablets you could get a Lyngdorf TADI-1170, as this can be operated via a web browser on a laptop.

Kend3591

I did try asking Naim about this, but they didn't bother to reply. Basically I need a DAC/streamer/amp to listen to flacs on a USB hard drive which contains all my ripped CDs. I'm not interested in streaming services. I also no longer own a smart phone (they annoy the hell out of me), so I need to know if it is possible to use the Atom without one. Is it feasible to use its own screen to navigate the contents of the directory structure on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
I have a Nova and have just tried this and it can be done.
I would suggest taking an USB with you and try it when you demo the unit.

brian8591

Thanks for the replies. I actually don't mind getting off my rear to change the music. After many years of vinyl album changes (having to get up twice per record to select and then change sides) I actually prefer it that way. I'm tempted to just use a blu ray player as a kind of transport feeding a DAC and the tv screen to navigate with a remote if I really have to. I don't want to faff around on a laptop/tablet/phone and buying a laptop would be even more expensive than a phone. Then again, I suppose I could use the laptop as a transport and eliminate the need for a streamer though.

phil t

Thanks for the replies. I actually don't mind getting off my rear to change the music. After many years of vinyl album changes (having to get up twice per record to select and then change sides) I actually prefer it that way. I'm tempted to just use a blu ray player as a kind of transport feeding a DAC and the tv screen to navigate with a remote if I really have to. I don't want to faff around on a laptop/tablet/phone and buying a laptop would be even more expensive than a phone. Then again, I suppose I could use the laptop as a transport and eliminate the need for a streamer though.
Each to their own, but it really isn't a faff using a tablet or a phone with a Naim product.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom