Naim Uniti Nova All-in-One System Review & Comments

It'd be interesting to see how this fares against the devialet range. The lower end obviously.
Very interesting review and this is something that I could definitely see myself looking at in the future.

I used to be a Naim fan hundreds of years ago...

And I think I might be again if I was in the market for an all in one; sounds like it’s impressive.

The styling is wrong for me. Looks like the Atom with a boring windowless extension added. This price bracket of HiFi needs to look sexy. The symmetry and simplicity of the Atom is gorgeous. My 5 year old could have come up with something more innovative than this!

I'll bet it sounds amazing though.

I'd like to add a cautionary note to this review. Since purchasing one of these units in early 2017, I have been the unhappy recipient of three replacements:

1. First unit was constantly disconnecting from the network meaning the control app was barely able to connect to the device.
2. The replacement caused a burned-out woofer in one of the connected speakers. The room filled with a dreadful acrid smoke. I never did find out why the Nova decided to send a blast of DC down the speaker cable.
3. The perspex logo bar on the front of the third Nova fell off. I then saw that it had been attached with double-sided sticky tape; not quite what you might expect in terms of fit and finish. A representative from the dealership fitted 'better quality' (apparently) tape and reattached the plastic strip. Then the proximity detector in the screen failed which meant I was unable to re-register to remote control after performing a factory reset.
4. I still have the fourth unit which seems to have a quirky personality. On two occasions it has developed an intermittent fault where short staccato bursts of severely distorted audio are heard and a warning appears on the screen concerning the amplifier developing an overcurrent situation. Switching off at the power socket and leaving it off for several hours has resolved this, but something is evidently amiss.

The screen that the reviewer loves so much cannot be turned off; meaning that if you like to listen in a darkened room, you will have a small bright rectangle of colored light with you at all times.

The sound quality is no better than what could be achieved with an inexpensive Shiit audio streamer and a modest integrated amp from Arcam.

Avoid.

I had the chance to audition four systems which were LINN Selekt DSM, Sim Audio Moon ACE, Naim NOVA and the NAD M10.

I had gone in with every intention to purchase the Naim Nova, however walked away with the NAD M10!

The BluOS app was easier to use and the tidal integration was excellent.

In my experience the sound quality the NAD was better. The system gripped the speakers better giving them a more controlled and tighter bass with a nicer open midrange/vocals.

I had the chance to audition four systems which were LINN Selekt DSM, Sim Audio Moon ACE, Naim NOVA and the NAD M10.

I had gone in with every intention to purchase the Naim Nova, however walked away with the NAD M10!

The BluOS app was easier to use and the tidal integration was excellent.

In my experience the sound quality the NAD was better. The system gripped the speakers better giving them a more controlled and tighter bass with a nicer open midrange/vocals.

If you have the time, would you expand on this? Your pros and cons for the various devices and how you rated their sounds, and also which speakers you listened with. At present you have done the group comparison test I would most like to read!

If you have the time, would you expand on this? Your pros and cons for the various devices and how you rated their sounds, and also which speakers you listened with. At present you have done the group comparison test I would most like to read!

Sure, please bear in mind I'm no audiophile journalist, just a regular guy with a little disposable income to spend on gadgets.

LINN Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC and AMP £6,750 Click here for video link

Really liked this system. The sound was beautifully detailed, with a lovely open soundstage great for vocals. Bass was good, but not as deep as I've experienced with the other systems. The app was very easy to use and set up. This system features a calibration tool called ‘Space Optimisation’, where the user can dial in the room measurements including windows, doors and speaker placement. It then runs the software to adjust the speakers as if the where position in their ideal placement.

Moon Audio Ace £2,850

I had high hopes for this system. Unfortunately paired with my speakers, I felt it wasn’t the best match. The amp also struggled at mid to higher volumes. Another strange thing that kept happening every time I would listen to the system was my ears would experience that trapped air in the ear feeling (like when you take off in a plane). The App didn’t feel as polished as the NAD, LINN or Naim. Build quality was very good. One of the features that attracted me to this system is the MQA decoding built in. I have tidal Hi-Fi which makes the most of this without having to go down the roon route.

Naim Nova £4,000

The presentation of the Naim was the most forward out of all the systems. Its midrange presentation was good and detailed but felt it was missing that deep scale bass from certain tracks from my demo playlist. The App was nice and easy to use and set up. From what I’ve been told the Uniti range will soon feature an HDMI input which should start shipping shortly. As mentioned I was set on purchasing this unit from my initial research. However, it wasn’t for me.

NAD M10 £2,199 Click here for video link

(laughing to my self) This was quite the “don’t knock me till you’ve tried me” moment. I didn’t even know such unit exists till I had a demo against the Naim Nova as it had just arrived on the day. From my initial experience on the ease of setting up the BluOS app and the way tidal integrated and works with the speed, I was very impressed. Then as I started to listen to the M10, I knew this was the one. The presentation just had this clean, crisp sound as if it was inky black and the bass was controlled yet deep when it needed to be. All in all thoroughly impressed to the point I’ve actually replaced my Cyrus 5 box system.

Sure, please bear in mind I'm no audiophile journalist, just a regular guy with a little disposable income to spend on gadgets.

LINN Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC and AMP £6,750 Click here for video link

Really liked this system. The sound was beautifully detailed, with a lovely open soundstage great for vocals. Bass was good, but not as deep as I've experienced with the other systems. The app was very easy to use and set up. This system features a calibration tool called ‘Space Optimisation’, where the user can dial in the room measurements including windows, doors and speaker placement. It then runs the software to adjust the speakers as if the where position in their ideal placement.

Moon Audio Ace £2,850

I had high hopes for this system. Unfortunately paired with my speakers, I felt it wasn’t the best match. The amp also struggled at mid to higher volumes. Another strange thing that kept happening every time I would listen to the system was my ears would experience that trapped air in the ear feeling (like when you take off in a plane). The App didn’t feel as polished as the NAD, LINN or Naim. Build quality was very good. One of the features that attracted me to this system is the MQA decoding built in. I have tidal Hi-Fi which makes the most of this without having to go down the roon route.

Naim Nova £4,000

The presentation of the Naim was the most forward out of all the systems. Its midrange presentation was good and detailed but felt it was missing that deep scale bass from certain tracks from my demo playlist. The App was nice and easy to use and set up. From what I’ve been told the Uniti range will soon feature an HDMI input which should start shipping shortly. As mentioned I was set on purchasing this unit from my initial research. However, it wasn’t for me.

NAD M10 £2,199 Click here for video link

(laughing to my self) This was quite the “don’t knock me till you’ve tried me” moment. I didn’t even know such unit exists till I had a demo against the Naim Nova as it had just arrived on the day. From my initial experience on the ease of setting up the BluOS app and the way tidal integrated and works with the speed, I was very impressed. Then as I started to listen to the M10, I knew this was the one. The presentation just had this clean, crisp sound as if it was inky black and the bass was controlled yet deep when it needed to be. All in all thoroughly impressed to the point I’ve actually replaced my Cyrus 5 box system.

Very much appreciated and it's always good to get the layman's thoughts and opinions.

As much as I would love a Linn DSM in whichever configuration, I'm more in the Uniti Atom/NAD M10 bracket, the latter clearly intended to take the fight to the former, least of which it has HDMI as standard whereas it costs extra on the Naim. There is also the cost factor. If money is no object, then... But either of these two would still nuke my current system, which is of such shame and embarrassment I dare not name it. Which speakers do you have? Are you considering any changes here?

Very much appreciated and it's always good to get the layman's thoughts and opinions.

As much as I would love a Linn DSM in whichever configuration, I'm more in the Uniti Atom/NAD M10 bracket, the latter clearly intended to take the fight to the former, least of which it has HDMI as standard whereas it costs extra on the Naim. There is also the cost factor. If money is no object, then... But either of these two would still nuke my current system, which is of such shame and embarrassment I dare not name it. Which speakers do you have? Are you considering any changes here?

Monitor Audio Platinum PL200 II - I clicked on his video link!

They cost £6300 a pair, so the NAD must be pretty exceptional to drive these.

The video that played next up for me was Building a new Music Room by PS Audio :eek::love::love:

This became a factor too.... After the blind demo the guy at the store casually said "which did you prefer".... as I had no clue which system was first?... I enthusiastically said ... Yep the first one .... the Naim...

He then Laughed and said... I just saved you a few thousand pounds... The first System was the NAD M10..

The speakers I am using are Monitor Audio Platinum PL200II. They retail as £6,300 and M10 has no hesitation in driving them.

Demoing the M10 in a couple of weeks.

Not many reviews around at the moment, would be good to see it reviewed on here.

The NAD has Ncore amplification and Dirac Live room correction,very promising.Devialet 140 is a bit more expensive than the Nova.Plenty of choice indeed.

This became a factor too.... After the blind demo the guy at the store casually said "which did you prefer".... as I had no clue which system was first?... I enthusiastically said ... Yep the first one .... the Naim...

He then Laughed and said... I just saved you a few thousand pounds... The first System was the NAD M10..

The speakers I am using are Monitor Audio Platinum PL200II. They retail as £6,300 and M10 has no hesitation in driving them.

This makes my life a whole lot simpler, and cheaper :thumbsup: because I wouldn't be able to get above the Atom/M10 without risking domestic discord, disharmony and quite likely even death! Although my partner has since discovered the KEF L50s and LSXs as well (I have no idea how, but she has! Maybe I could swing her to the Dynaudio Xeo 20s and see what happens). But space is a factor, it has to be black and, ideally for her, not stand out. That the NAD can drive your speakers is a tribute and if I went that route I'd certainly be going for something a lot smaller and less demanding. And cheaper. Might have mentioned that already. In any event, I wish you many happy years of musical fun :).

Hi guys, I'm after a little advice/guidance if possible
I have had a nova for approx 6months now and love the sound it produces, the only gripe I have is with the temperamental naim app.
I'm looking at switching up my floorstanding spendor a6 speakers for a pair of dynaudio special 40 bookshelves. I also use a BK xl200 sub.
Would you consider this a step up?
Do you think I will lose out on the low range, or would the BK still cover that anyways?
Thanks for any help. Pete

Thanks for the reply.
There is a place not to far from me (Chester), which has a demo room and stocks dynaudio - I intend to have a listen to the speakers there.
The review on here is what initially drew me towards the special 40s.
Do you happen to own these speakers?
Thanks mate
Pete

Hi Pete yes I do, I auditioned them against two similarly priced stand mounts and the 40s easily came out on top for me.
As far as bass goes I went from the PMC floor standing twenty5.23s which go really low but annoy the neighbours so I was surprised that in my room the 40s have no shortage of bass for music etc. they are rated down to 41Hz. but go much lower in room.

Lovely review but very interesting user feedback on this thread.

Was going to say I’d love to hear a music first Naim surround amp with all the latest codecs if it existed. And then realised that NAD have made a couple...

Dirac Live update now available on the NAD M10.... there is no competition!

Modern DSP is the best thing to happen to hifi since the first phonograph.

I'd like to add a cautionary note to this review. Since purchasing one of these units in early 2017, I have been the unhappy recipient of three replacements:

I have recently acquired a Uniti Nova from the latest production batch and thought i'd provide my experience so that people have a balanced view of the current situation.

The construction quality of my unit appears to be excellent, as well as the quality of the electronics. No digital/static or temperature issues of any sort have occurred. Networking seems to be working flawlessly, i have not experienced any connection loss and the reaction time is almost instantaneous under all circumstances.

A software update was released a while ago that adds the option to turn off the screen, and there is also a timeout of about 15-20 minutes after which the screen is dimmed.

Personally i am completely convinced by the sound quality of the Nova, there is no denying that the musical reproduction of this amplifier is spectacular (as all the professional reviews also point out). I previously owned a Superuniti and while i also did really enjoy that, the Nova is in all regards sonically superior, i can only highly recommend it.

It's a shame that you had so much bad luck with your units, it would be understandable if you may have gotten fed up with it so much that you couldn't really enjoy it's wonderful sound anymore either.

-lite

1. First unit was constantly disconnecting from the network meaning the control app was barely able to connect to the device.
2. The replacement caused a burned-out woofer in one of the connected speakers. The room filled with a dreadful acrid smoke. I never did find out why the Nova decided to send a blast of DC down the speaker cable.
3. The perspex logo bar on the front of the third Nova fell off. I then saw that it had been attached with double-sided sticky tape; not quite what you might expect in terms of fit and finish. A representative from the dealership fitted 'better quality' (apparently) tape and reattached the plastic strip. Then the proximity detector in the screen failed which meant I was unable to re-register to remote control after performing a factory reset.
4. I still have the fourth unit which seems to have a quirky personality. On two occasions it has developed an intermittent fault where short staccato bursts of severely distorted audio are heard and a warning appears on the screen concerning the amplifier developing an overcurrent situation. Switching off at the power socket and leaving it off for several hours has resolved this, but something is evidently amiss.

The screen that the reviewer loves so much cannot be turned off; meaning that if you like to listen in a darkened room, you will have a small bright rectangle of colored light with you at all times.

The sound quality is no better than what could be achieved with an inexpensive Shiit audio streamer and a modest integrated amp from Arcam.

Avoid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom