Naim Uniti Atom

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I,m looking at buying a Naim Uniti Atom as an upgrade , I have been offered one for £1899 with full 5 years warranty ,its classed as open box, but having spoken to the retailer ,i,ve been told that its a customer return and has never been used .
Do you guys think this is a decent price ? Cheapest i.ve found so far for a brand new one has been £2100, and more importantly how do owners rate them , are they actually worth the price ?

What speakers (and subwoofer maybe) are you using with it, how big is your room, is it sparesly/well furnished and can you position the speakers away from the walls and corners ? This will make the biggest difference to the sound. Also, do you have any other sources than the built in streamer (cd, turntable, TV etc.)?

That price is very close to the Lyngdort TDAI1120 which is getting lots of love on here recently and this adds the Room Perfect EQ System. The Marantz M10 is also close on price and has DIRAC. best advice is to get out to a shop and listen to all three if you can with your chosen speakers and let your ears decide.

What speakers (and subwoofer maybe) are you using with it, how big is your room, is it sparesly/well furnished and can you position the speakers away from the walls and corners ? This will make the biggest difference to the sound. Also, do you have any other sources than the built in streamer (cd, turntable, TV etc.)?

That price is very close to the Lyngdort TDAI1120 which is getting lots of love on here recently and this adds the Room Perfect EQ System. The Marantz M10 is also close on price and has DIRAC. best advice is to get out to a shop and listen to all three if you can with your chosen speakers and let your ears decide.
Thanks for the reply , room isn't massive ,speakers are Q Acoustics 3020i (the Naim is probably going to be overkill for these ).
All music will be done via streaming, nothing else will be going into the system ,the system will be in a corner with the speakers at least a foot away from the walls ( no other place to put it really ).
Currently using a Marantz MCR612 that I do like , but wanting to go to the next level sound wise (hopefully)

Naim does have a well documented "house sound" that is not for everyones taste or suits all speakers (PMC and Focal are often paired with them), Nad similarly has a warmer house sound (maybe closer to the Marantz you have) and the Lyngdorf tries to provide the most accurate sound of the recording from what I have read but has the ability to apply "profiles" to tailor the sound to your tastes. So definitely worth demos and let your ears decide.

I also agree the speakers will not get the most out of any of these amp/streamers and the amps will certainly stand an upgrade or two of the speakers (probably up to £2500 per pair level), so good in the long term.

For price, have a look at the clearance sections of the main dealers (Peter Tyson, Sevenoaks, Richer, Audio T, Hifix, Fanthorpes, Harrow Audio etc.) there are often good open box or ex demo deals to be had whist keeping the dealer warranty that you don't get with second hand.

Naim does have a well documented "house sound" that is not for everyones taste or suits all speakers (PMC and Focal are often paired with them), Nad similarly has a warmer house sound (maybe closer to the Marantz you have) and the Lyngdorf tries to provide the most accurate sound of the recording from what I have read but has the ability to apply "profiles" to tailor the sound to your tastes. So definitely worth demos and let your ears decide.

I also agree the speakers will not get the most out of any of these amp/streamers and the amps will certainly stand an upgrade or two of the speakers (probably up to £2500 per pair level), so good in the long term.

For price, have a look at the clearance sections of the main dealers (Peter Tyson, Sevenoaks, Richer, Audio T, Hifix, Fanthorpes, Harrow Audio etc.) there are often good open box or ex demo deals to be had whist keeping the dealer warranty that you don't get with second hand.
The one I,m looking at is from Peter Tyson, and has been confirmed I would be getting the full warranty 2 years plus 3 when registering with Naim , I,m hopefully going up to the Newcastle branch for a demo in the next few days ,and they are getting the open box unit delivered there Tommorow for me to see at the same time.
Thanks again for your replies , much appreciated:thumbsup:

It's a lot of money so you're doing the right things with auditioning. Several years ago I went to an auditioning session thinking I would just be rubber stamping a Naim Nait amp. Wrong. Ended up disliking the signature so keep an open mind.

It's a lot of money so you're doing the right things with auditioning. Several years ago I went to an auditioning session thinking I would just be rubber stamping a Naim Nait amp. Wrong. Ended up disliking the signature so keep an open mind.
Yes it is a lot of money ,I’m even wondering if the Naim or any other models in the same price bracket are actually going to be much of an improvement over the MCR612 I currently have when you take into account the extra cost

Yes it is a lot of money ,I’m even wondering if the Naim or any other models in the same price bracket are actually going to be much of an improvement over the MCR612 I currently have when you take into account the extra cost
I'm not into streaming so that part doesn't interest me at all. Old git that likes his little silver discs. Got to be worth the day out though as you'll always end up wondering what if.

I'm not into streaming so that part doesn't interest me at all. Old git that likes his little silver discs. Got to be worth the day out though as you'll always end up wondering what if.
Yes there’s no harm in having a listen(apart from to my wallet maybe 😂)

I would suggest listening to it with your speakers (or if they have the same model in) and also some more matched speakers price/performance wise so that you know whether the speakers are limiting the system. However, this may put your wallet into shock.

It may be worth considering splitting the c.£2k budget over a £800-1000 streaming amp or amp+streamer and a pair of much better speakers to get a more balanced system. You could research a possible pair and compare that to the Naim and your Q Acoustics to see whether that is a better compromise.

As an example - Richer in Newcastle have an open box Cambridge 851A (£720) or Arcam SR250 (£805, £2500 when first released) amplifier, a new Yamaha WXC50 streamer (£270) and add a pair of £1k speakers that suit your ears, maybe Focal Aria 906 or Chora 816 (£900), Wharfedale Linton (£1000). May be worth dropping by whilst you are in Newcastle to see what they have and have a listen to an alternative.

Is it correct the Atom does NOT have an FM radio tuner?

Doesn’t look like it but the naim app suggests it has the iRadio system so worth looking to see if your favourite fm stations are available over the internet. Worst case is you can Bluetooth them from a phone or tablet.

Doesn’t look like it but the naim app suggests it has the iRadio system so worth looking to see if your favourite fm stations are available over the internet. Worst case is you can Bluetooth them from a phone or tablet.
Thanks , tbh the only FM station I would need is BBC Radio Tees so I can listen to the Boro matches, but if I cannot get it via the Atom , then its ruled out .

Just did a quick check, I downloaded the BBC Sounds App, scrolled along the top bar to BBC Tees, started playing live radio. It was able to find both of my chrome cast devices (there was also an option for airplay devices) and was able to cast to them ok. So as the Atom has chromecast and airplay built in it should work but worth checking at the demo.

Last edited:
Just did a quick check, I downloaded the BBC Sounds App, scrolled along the top bar to BBC Tees, started playing live radio. It was able to find both of my chrome cast devices (there was also an option for airplay devices) and was able to cast to them ok. So as the Atom has chrome cast and airplay built I. It should work but worth checking at the demo.
Thank you very much for trying for me , however I had a feeling that they were not allowed to broadcast any football online , and checking tonights schedule that's been confirmed as it states the Hartlepool match is not available online :(

Quick update , just got back from having a demo of the Atom , unfortunately I couldn't try my speakers out , the Atom was hooked up to a pair of Linn speakers and sounded awesome if I,m honest , now I,m under no illusions that it will sound as good with my speakers , seeing as the Linns were £900 !!
However I was very impressed in general with the Atom , the Naim App , and everything about it , however there had been a mix up and the open box Atom had been sold (they said they would reserve it for me ) , So they offered to sell me a brand new Atom for the same price as the open box one £1899 !!
I,m sorely tempted to go for it at that price.

If you liked it then go for it. Your Q Acoustics might surprise you on the end of the atom. I run Q's Concept 40s on the end of a naimuniti gen1 and they positively sparkle.

im using an atom with monitor audio bx5 speakers and love the sound. Its the only bit of kit ive ever had that i find myself involuntary foot tapping away to the music. Once its settled in you find yourself just enjoying music rather than analysing it.

im using an atom with monitor audio bx5 speakers and love the sound. Its the only bit of kit ive ever had that i find myself involuntary foot tapping away to the music. Once its settled in you find yourself just enjoying music rather than analysing it.
Placed the order today, VERY happy with the price I’ve paid 👍

So looking at the review on here , it appears that the price I was very happy to pay for my Atom yesterday , is actually the price it was released at £1800 !! that's crazy

So looking at the review on here , it appears that the price I was very happy to pay for my Atom yesterday , is actually the price it was released at £1800 !! that's crazy

Iirc the Atom went up £200 after Brexit. Enjoy it.

Iirc the Atom went up £200 after Brexit. Enjoy it.
Wow , hopefully its going to be worth the money over the Marantz Mcr 612 I currently have, that to me punches above its weight

Quick update ,received the Atom today ,lovely piece of kit ,very surprised by the weight of it !!
Fantastic design and build quality ,sound wise it’s a definite step up over the Marantz MCR 612 it replaces , lovely clarity and detail ,I’m very pleased with it overall ,certainly not cheap even at the £1800 I paid ,but it will see me for a long time to come 👍👍

Quick update ,received the Atom today ,lovely piece of kit ,very surprised by the weight of it !!
Fantastic design and build quality ,sound wise it’s a definite step up over the Marantz MCR 612 it replaces , lovely clarity and detail ,I’m very pleased with it overall ,certainly not cheap even at the £1800 I paid ,but it will see me for a long time to come 👍👍
Result !! what speakers did you get in the end ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom