Naim Uniti Atom or Nova - how much power to drive Dynaudio Evoke 50's?

pstare

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

I'm not new to audio but have mostly been using active nearfield monitors for music production. I'm moving into a new place though and have just bought some Dynaudio Evoke 50's (4 ohm floorstanders, two woofers, one midrange driver, and a tweeter, 87dB sensitivity, max power 260W). These are big speakers, bigger than I've ever had. I'm about to buy an all-in-one, because I've done the research and decided that Naim's Uniti series is exactly what I want.

The problem is the Uniti Atom is 40wpc. Apparently Naim is conservative in their claims, and the 40 W is into 8 ohms. Dynaudio recommends as a rule of thumb to get an amp that can deliver at minimum 20% of the stated max power that can be handled by the speaker, which is 260W, so that = 52W. My question is, does that mean I need an amp that can deliver 50-60 W into 4 ohms? Which the Naim Uniti Atom can probably do, since it's 40W into 8 ohms?

I'm a bit out of my depth here. There are others who say that the Evoke 50's are big speakers and very revealing, so I would be wasting them with an underpowered amp. The issue is that the Uniti Nova (80 wpc into 8 ohms) is more than double the price, and we're talking a difference of about $4000 Canadian.

Can anyone advise me on this? Anyone who's used the Uniti Atom? I hear the DAC and lots of other things on the Nova are better, not just the amp portion. But I would prefer the form factor and price of the Atom. Anything to consider here? Is 87dB a really inefficient speaker? Anyone owned the Dynaudio Evoke 50's (I think they're pretty new).

I'm new to the concept that amplifiers can change the characteristics of the sound so significantly. I thought initially that the worst case would be the dB SPL I get out of the speakers -- that I'd just have to turn them up a bit more, or live with a slightly quieter output. But it seems like distortion, bass definition, etc. may be affected by the power amp characteristics.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Alan Weir 1

Unless you are completely sold on Naim maybe have a look at the Nad M10.
Great reviews and 160w into 8ohm

pstare

Novice Member
I've actually been looking into the M10 quite a bit tonight, but it's missing one key thing -- no home theatre bypass, so using my Denon AVRX3600H for movies and TV with surround sound would not be possible while still using the M10 to drive music on the left and right. Unless I got some sort of clunky switch going.

Or am I missing something?

Otherwise the M10 has fantastic features plus MQA support (although no Chromecast built-in unfortunately).

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As the M10 has a volume control which can be set to a specific dB value, for use with AVR you can connect the front l/r to analogue input 1 or 2, set the volume to say -20dB (fairly loud), calibrate and then whenever you use it with the AVR just say eat the volume back to the that number. Not ideal but would work fine.

Rather than the nad m10 you might want to look at the Nad c388 with the optional bluos card and possibly the hdmi card. This has a fixed volume setting for use with the AVR. Lots of power 150w per channel with short bursts up to 350w into 4 ohms.

Last edited:

pstare

Novice Member
Yes, I did think of that. But not ideal. I'm worried that I would do that, and then my girlfriend might change the input source to stream something from spotify or airplay something from her phone without compensating for the volume, resulting in some crazy loud transient.

Also the AVR has Audyssey room correction, which I would definitely use, and I expect it would be calibrated to expect that same magic value on the NAD, and if that value was ever set differently, the room correction would be off.

Curious, is this a feature that might be possible to add in a firmware update to the M10?

gibbsy

Also the AVR has Audyssey room correction, which I would definitely use, and I expect it would be calibrated to expect that same magic value on the NAD, and if that value was ever set differently, the room correction would be off.
When you use any amp with or without HT by-pass and the Denon is not engaged then the room calibration is not being used. The external amp is under it's own power only.

pstare

Novice Member
Yes, I understand. I meant the room correctionn would only be in effect when watching surround sources for TV and movies, but that if the volume on the NAD M10 were set to anything different than the value used when calibrating the Denon, the relative levels would be off.

I'll look into this NAD C388. Might be an idea; unfortunately, it's entirely lacking in aesthetics. The M10 is a real statement, though...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom