Naim Uniti Atom All-in-One System Review & Comments

Just like aston martins products like this exist so the neymars and messi's of the world have something to spend their money on.
Meanwhile im just pondering a project involving the 10 inch tablet ,class D amp and small speakers I have tucked away which can be given a new lease of life bodged into one cabinet.

As a man previously looking at a ND5-XS streamer and time \ bathrooms \ life getting in the way of that purchase (not to mention the 4K I'll wait a bit longer....) ,this looks like all the streamer I might need. Thank you for an awesome review!

T1b

I had one on home dem thinking of de cluttering.
Whilst ultimately I couldn't bring myself swap the valves out, I was very impressed - could have bought one on looks alone, the pics don't do it justice. The design is lovely and it's a joy to use and excellent for the price.

40W though... seems feeble to me.

I have had the Nait 5 on which it's based and it'll struggle with plenty of speakers. The preouts will add a more powerful amp naturally, but if it's a Naim one then that takes this little gem into absurd price ranges.

But for use with, say, Rega RS1s it might be a fine smallish room system.

The new range looks very promising and even the most expensive Uniti is cheaper than anything from the Porsche 911 in the sector,Devialet.

It would be useful if the reviewers start testing the all-in-ones with analogue inputs with vinyl too.

I honestly still don't know what this is supposed to do that a smart tv and an AV receiver don't already do with more power and presence.

40W though... seems feeble to me.

I have had the Nait 5 on which it's based and it'll struggle with plenty of speakers. The preouts will add a more powerful amp naturally, but if it's a Naim one then that takes this little gem into absurd price ranges.

But for use with, say, Rega RS1s it might be a fine smallish room system.

Naim 40w is more than enough and can drive many difficult load speakers
The star is also available and included cd ripping and more power
Listen to it and you will know

? What is special about 'naim 40w'? Do they use a different physics?

No. The reason why quoted power figures from some companies seem to go further than others is down to current delivery. Historically Naim has ensured that their amplifiers are well specified in this regard and it means that with all but the most insensitive speakers, their amps tend to be fine. As noted in the review, the Atom handled my Neat Momentums which are not an easy speaker to drive properly without issue and achieved any volume level I'd realistically want in this house. It won't be a perfect partner for brands like ATC but it'll work with a wider selection of speakers than the bald 40 watt figure might suggest.

Thanks so much Ed for this. My Sansui streamer has never sounded great and won't stream any of my files higher than 24/48.

Reading this review makes it look like this was made for me.

Excellent review, Ed.

Most Sevenoaks stores now have the Uniti Atom on demonstration, so get in touch with your local store to get a demo booked in. Here's a few shots from our stores:

uniti3.jpg

uniti1.jpg

uniti2.jpg

uniti4.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent review, Ed.

Most Sevenoaks stores now have the Uniti Atom on demonstration, so get in touch with your local store to get a demo booked in. Here's a few shots from our stores:

uniti2.jpg

Really?? What kind of an idiot puts a speaker on the same stand directly under a phonograph?

Really?? What kind of an idiot puts a speaker on the same stand directly under a phonograph?

Can't see what you are talking about, I can see a product shot designed to show what kit you need. and then a few of various in store display

It's like those nice product brochures where the set up runs on magic -no speaker cables to be seen anywhere.
Based on many years of using a number of their stores, SSAV are quite capable of putting on a proper demo.

Should think 2 speakers and one box would be OK

R.e the light bass, would this be a suitable match for B&W CM8's. I already have a Mu-so but want a greater degree of separation, already use the CM8's in my cinema so would need a quality switch too??

I have just managed to get one from SSAV Maidstone & it is superb! i absolutely love it. considering NAIM quoted 3 months to deliver i feel very lucky.

For me it cannot be THE device with only 40watts power. With 100w it would be, as would have power to move any speaker and also serve as power amp for an AVR

Only 40w is easily driving my PMC Twenty5 24's with outstanding results, i was as shocked as the next man but it's true... my speakers are rated at 89db so very easy to drive compared to the 25.23's at 86.5db. lets face it... it's not all about watts!

For me it cannot be THE device with only 40watts power. With 100w it would be, as would have power to move any speaker and also serve as power amp for an AVR

Have a look at the star or nova if you can afford them, they will give you the extra power in case you need it
Like southern mentioned, it is all about speaker matching and sensitivity.
Best to try always

I listened to this at my dealer. Went to listen to the linn majik ds vs naim Ndx but annoyingly dealer out this option at me so never got to hear what I went for.

As far as atom goes is reasonable product for the money but in my opinion nowhere near the sound quality of the linn. At same volume as the linn it was more powerful but I found once it got to mid volume all I could hear was distortion and poping of tweeter on the speakers which were £1500 a pair. Again the linn made these sing.

If I was after a one box solution and not overly bothered in sound quality I'd consider but wasn't audiophile level for me.

I listened to this at my dealer. Went to listen to the linn majik ds vs naim Ndx but annoyingly dealer out this option at me so never got to hear what I went for.

As far as atom goes is reasonable product for the money but in my opinion nowhere near the sound quality of the linn. At same volume as the linn it was more powerful but I found once it got to mid volume all I could hear was distortion and poping of tweeter on the speakers which were £1500 a pair. Again the linn made these sing.

If I was after a one box solution and not overly bothered in sound quality I'd consider but wasn't audiophile level for me.

What speaker you heard?. Price means nothing as I heard the atom with similarly priced floorstanders to yours and it was a disaster...
I heard them with pmc and it was much better. Still, I recommend you hear atom again with different speakers...

Linn sound is very different from naim
even if the atom sound is more relaxed in naim terms.

My point is that speaker partnering is critical. Heard so many expensive speakers and simply hated the sound with naim. Doesn't mean they are bad, just not right couple :)
Find a dealer capable to make you listen to several speakers (at least 3) and compare with linn again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom