naim system worth the cash?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by andy1912, Jun 8, 2008.

1. andy1912

andy1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a about £2K or so to spend on a system. I was thinking that I would buy new separates (CD; integrated amp + speakers). However, I have the chance of buying for the cash I have a three year old Naim system comprising of: CD5, NAC112, NAP150, FLATCAP, + Proac Response 1.5 speakers (includes all cables and good quality stand). What are peoples' thoughts about how this would measure up to what is currently available for my budget? I listen to a wide range of music: heavy rock; classical; pop and some folk stuff too. I have the option of putting the system in a sparsely wood-floored room or one with a carpet etc

Thanks for any advice.....

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Thats a tough one. The older models of the newer range (if that makes sense) I personally do not think they are a patch on the older range , or the latest from the new range........the Supernait is a great amp now. Im also not a big fan of Proac (flame away), although it is very hifi and was quite costly when new so its difficult to know exactly where it sits s/h.

I sold my NAP140 for about £350 recently (though the older models seem to have massive demand with amps being snapped up quickly). If you think around that amount for each of the components in the system and add around £750 for the Proacs then its an easy £2K

The Proacs are very even handed and have a tight bass which will be OK in the majority of rooms. I would be looking at one with a carpet at least. Its the shape of the room that has most effect though. You want a room which is not over square and has reasonably low ceilings, try and fire down the length of the room if you can.

Anyway, you are not getting done at that price.

3. andy1912

andy1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks very much for that :thumbsup:.

I know this is slightly a matter of taste - I am suspecting here (as someone used to be an electronics engineer) that quality doesn't really change that much over time, not relatively small periods anyway - so I was wondering if you had about £2k to spend would you think like me - well about £5K worth of hifi that's a few years old is probably going to be superior (all things being equal ie personal taste) to £2K worth now.....

Would you go for the naim deal or do you think you could get a new system which would be superior ? I guess we'd need to be talking about £700 across each of: CD; amp, and speakers.

4. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm not a naim expert (or even a fan), but:

First, Naim equipment is easily the most consistent at holding its price on the 2nd hand market that I know of so if the price is good but you happen to not like it, you could sell it on for hardly a loss I'd think.

Second, any seller with nothing to hide and a decent nature would let you listen to the system in his/her house. I've done it and hosted others countless times, I can't remember a single time being declined.

Third, nothing has advanced in hifi design lately that has created a bargain.

Fourth, Naim amps get a lot of their characteristic sound by a quite simple design that most avoid: a high output impedance/low damping factor, similar to tube amps. They definitely sound different to a lot of other amps.

My points are a bit jumbled in order, but they may help hopefully.

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    As already stated, Naim have their own "style" of presentation. If you like that, then the s/h system you've been offered will almost certainly be a better buy than trying to find something else new.
    Go listen!

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Thats a million dollar question. Actually quality does change over time and not always for the best. Older components used lead based solders, new components use lead free..........do a search on longevity of lead free solder !

But back to your question:

Would I buy that system...........the short answer is, not without a home demo for a week and then probably not. But thats me, I know what I want and would rather not be restricted by cost. Spend 2K now and find that if I had spent a bit more to get exactly what I wanted it would have been better.

Its a bit like deciding you want a car, not quite knowing what you want you choose something that has a reputation such as an Audi A4 diesel and you find the right car despite never having driven it. The Audi comes with a 3 bedroom house and a detatched garage and the whole package looks a reasonable buy and about right for the market value..........

I just cant buy like that unless it was a fantastic bargain and could be sold on for an easy profit if it didn't suit.

My usual way of buying S/H is to get a listen to a component and make my mind up aboutit. Then cast around for a sound buy. Each part I choose would be tested to compliment the system before purchase.

That way means less audio frustration (read the legions of please help me my system sounds too...........doesnt have enough.............has blown up). Instead of weeks of hand wringing and escalating costs and disappointments you get exactly what you want........even if it costs far more than you originally budgeted.

If the sound of the system is really not that important you can buy this set up and it will match your criteria (which would be Im not too bothered as long as its good quality and reliable and is cheaper than new). If you are more dscerning there will be audio tears !!

A new £700 system might actually be perfect for you, only you can tell by listening. Price is an indication, but treat it with respect, not all that glitters is gold and some have bought incredibly expensive pieces of equipment on someones recommendation only to end up selling for a fraction of the value.

7. andy1912

andy1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :) OK thanks very much - yes I will go and listen and pop along to the local hi fi shop too who now have some pretty good deals re: separates which will soon be superseded. I'm not miserable or anything but as I said at the beginning I used to be an electronics engineer so I know a bit about all that stuff and I know for sure that a good cd player will be still be good and not very different from the next (small) move forward (the newer and improved version). I contacted one of the local shops today (there are only two near me) and was a bit disappointed that much of the equipment I have been reading about over the last few years is simply not stocked. Hmmm. Still I take the point that ultimately taste is taste and I need to go out and find out what mine is at this point in time...

Thanks for all the advice.:thumbsup: