Quantcast

Naim Supernait 3 Integrated Amp Review & Comments

NYCFCFan

Suspended
Love Naim products tho a bit weird & quirky.

mark800

Distinguished Member
I've had a lot of Naim gear over the years, and the previous Supernait. The problem I have with Naim gear is that you pay such a lot for a product that sits in the middle of the range (e.g. you have their separate pre and power amps). So, you're constantly wondering how much better they are and whether something is done to make them sound better (or make the Supernait worse). In some ways, are you better going for the top end of another manufacturer knowing that it's the best they can do?

DT79

Naim really have mastered the art of building upgradeitis into their products. Still nice kit though!

Jefke13

Hello Ed,

The latest Naim Nait XS is not the XS2 but the XS3 which is absolutely stunning, in da house as we speak, and another alternative to the supernait 3. Almost as good as well and a lot more affordable.

Best regards
Geoff

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I've had a lot of Naim gear over the years, and the previous Supernait. The problem I have with Naim gear is that you pay such a lot for a product that sits in the middle of the range (e.g. you have their separate pre and power amps). So, you're constantly wondering how much better they are and whether something is done to make them sound better (or make the Supernait worse). In some ways, are you better going for the top end of another manufacturer knowing that it's the best they can do?
Their best might be nowhere near as good as naim’s middle ground though, or anyone else for that matter. I personally think the dev expert 220 pro is the sweetspot in their range and that sits in the middle. If I was going back to separate components I’d buy lejonklou again.

Jefke13

Hello,

Nope no typo, you have to almost see the supernait as a true pre and poweramp combo at a very high level, and I do mean very high. In fact you could even say it is inexpensive for what it delivers.

And it is too expensive for me to be clear but in the normal price range of Hifi it is worth it. You have to spend about 6000 or 7000 pounds to do better. I know because I use, not own, a 6000 pound combo for reviews and the supernait is as good actually.

Happy end of the year everyone!

drummerman

£2.2k for a simple 70 watt transistor amp with only a MM phono stage and nothing else seems a little much ... . Mind, its built in the UK so that goes a little way towards explaining why.

You get Kef's 50 wireless active for that.

Alternatively there are some very interesting choices for far less.

phil t

£2.2k for a simple 70 watt transistor amp with only a MM phono stage and nothing else seems a little much ...

Alternatively there are some very interesting choices for far less.
Tis £3499 and 80w.
There are also some very interesting choices for far more.

Horses for courses.

drummerman

Tis £3499 and 80w.
There are also some very interesting choices for far more.

Horses for courses.
Yup. I meant the XS3 which, compared to the SN almost seems a bargain ... even though it has seen a £700 price increase since its launch in 2009.

Es Lung

Novice Member
Though musical, I find Naim integrated amps lacking in resolution compared to rivals at similar prices unless you add one of their power supply uprdages.

These Naim amps require months of being continuously powered and regularly used before the owner will experience what they are truly capable of. The performance of the Supernait 3 after 5 - 6 months settling in is remarkable. Imaging and bass response are significantly better compared to the 'out-of-the-box' performance. The 3500.00 price is trivial compared to the performance. I disagree strongly with the reviewer who touts the all-in-once Uniti Star or Nova units as suitable alternatives. I have previously owned a Nova and can assure fellow readers that the NDX 2 plus Supernait 3 is vastly superior. Pair with a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers, give it all time to run in and then listen to R.L. Burnside's album 'Bothered Mind' and you will understand what I mean.

drummerman

Why would an amplifier need 6 months to 'settle in' ?

Ps. I did like the original Supernait if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Wesley85

A quick question if I may ask without sounding stupid but should the remote be able to switch amp inputs?

If I want to change from AV to CD I have to physically press the button on the device itself.

Also, I currently have my PC connected to my Chord Hugo TT2 as DAC only and then into the CD input on the SN3. Is CD the preferred input or should it be aux or something else? Or doesn't it matter?

Many thanks in advance.

phil t

Just had a look on the website.

Prog may need to be pushed, then use the numbers.

Any line level input should be fine.

phil t

A quick question if I may ask without sounding stupid but should the remote be able to switch amp inputs?

If I want to change from AV to CD I have to physically press the button on the device itself.

Also, I currently have my PC connected to my Chord Hugo TT2 as DAC only and then into the CD input on the SN3. Is CD the preferred input or should it be aux or something else? Or doesn't it matter?

Many thanks in advance.
Just had a look on the website.

Prog may need to be pushed, then use the numbers.

Any line level input should be fine.
Did it work?

Wesley85

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't work.
I feel like I'm not doing it right though. I am able to get CD to switch away from CD but can't see what it's swapping to as there isn't a visual cue other than the CD button no longer illuminating and the sound stops. That was achieved by pressing Prog. + 1. All other numbers don't have an affect. AV can't be selected by any number.

Thanks for your suggestion though Phil.

phil t

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't work.
I feel like I'm not doing it right though. I am able to get CD to switch away from CD but can't see what it's swapping to as there isn't a visual cue other than the CD button no longer illuminating and the sound stops. That was achieved by pressing Prog. + 1. All other numbers don't have an affect. AV can't be selected by any number.

Thanks for your suggestion though Phil.
You only need to press Prog once, to put the remote into "amp" configuration. Then the numbers equate to input button. I think 3 is stream and 4 is av.

Wesley85

You only need to press Prog once, to put the remote into "amp" configuration. Then the numbers equate to input button. I think 3 is stream and 4 is av.
You my friend are a genius. Saved me so many 16ft return journeys to the SN3. Thank you! 👌🏻👍🏻

Trending threads

Latest News

Panasonic launches SC-HTB600 and SC-HTB400 soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic launches HX940 and HX800 4K LCD TVs for 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson launches 3230 loudspeaker at Bristol Hi-Fi Show
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 17th February 2020