1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by targetrich, Aug 24, 2005.

1. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: My Naim dealer tells me that I shouldn't invest in mega expensive cable for my new NAP 250.2, but stick with the Naim own brand cable as it has been specially made with Naim amplification in mind.

Is this true? The cable he recommended (I cant remember what its called) cost about £10 a metre. I was thinking of spending alot more than that....

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Your dealer is right. You don't need to spend lots on speaker cable. £10 per metre is IMHO excessive. Browse through some of the threads or run a search on cat5, van damme. Both are very good as speaker cable.
    There is no sense spending where there is no need. £10 per metre buys quite a few CD's. Certainly worth thinking about.

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    This is true Naim amplification is designed right through to the speaker cable rather than to the output sockets. The cable carries an inductance which stablises the amps and hence stops them blowing up. This is why any Naim dealer will tell you, you have to have a minimum of 5M length per channel.

Provided you are using Naim speakers this is generally the best set-up.
    However now going completely against the grain of Naim's recommendation/design philosophy I've used other types of cable with no i'll effects on a Naim Nait I own (no longer use) and likewise a mate was actually recommended some other (cant remember the brand) cable to link to his 42.5/110 and Epos ES14 speakers from a Naim dealer!

So you can either play the safe game or experiment... it's up to you. Snap crackle pop :rotfl:

4. targetrich

targetrich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, they'll be driving my Proac D15's. My dealer has told me he can make special bi-wired naim cable for me, so that seems like the best option.

at the moment, anyway!

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    And you believe this....????? You have to think what Naim do that every other hi Fi manufacturer doesn't.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is true, I have seen a very upset NAIM amp due to the cable, it is down to the inductance. Stick with NAIM cables, they are good.

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It IS true. No Naim amp has inductance coils in it's output. Every Hi-Fi manufacturer have their own views on design. Naim until recently would not use RCA sockets, prefering Din and BNC on their equipment. So they DO, do things differently.

TO further verify this you only need to have some discussions with qualified design engineers (those not of the Naim variety). Some newsgroups are good for this sort of knowledge.

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Naim amps like Nic/Knighty correctly state were designed a fixed LRC value from 5m of NAC5 IIRC. Only a few years ago there was even a disclaimer noting that if you used non NAC speaker cable then you risked invalidating the warranty of the amplifiers, as they were being used out of design parameters (thus you could not use any speaker cable from anyone else than Naim). You can this a number of things – bad design (which I think) Naim retaining even more customer sales via their speaker cable (for which they are more than famous – DINs – XPSs).

This advice has changed in recent times @ Salisbury (as a Naim user informed me on a recent discussion on this very point @ HFC), they still advise that the NAC stuff be used and that the amps are designed around that, but that the amplifiers now can use most speaker cables (I would advise against bellwire though or ones with low capitance rating & high resistance – small CSA). If I had a Naim amp, I would simply run 2x2.5mm of Van Damme speaker cable on it, £2 a metre. Or buy some NAC5 second hand if you can.

Not one of Naims finest moments – ie fixed LRC design a certain length of speaker cable. As Nic points out I know of a few puffs of blue smoke that have famously left the casings of Naim amps due to this daft design idea. Ie most amp makers in the world make amps that are speaker cable friendly without problem, yet Naim could not.

IMHO of course

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It is in fact true,and has been documented many times that a number of Naim amps are reliant on cable inductance for stability,esp into more demanding loads.

An example of a situation where it is very sensible to stick with the recommended cables.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    daft design idea or good marketting idea?

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Its both actually Nic IMHO.

Bad design in that everyone else manages fine (like everyone else does with putting digital outputs on their CDPs for example, like everyone else manages with standard PSUs)

Naim rentention of customers is legendary, from locking them in with DINs & NAC5 to the bolt on power supplies. Its always been their trademark operating philosophy.

Its when this business stategy is lauded as the reasons by Naim users as superiority in design over all other kit that the fireworks begin.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I stand corrected. I didn't think it was relevent anymore with Naims new ranges.

13. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
    It's actually only 3.5m minimum run to maintain the impedance necessary.

They market it as best to use NACA5 as it was designed from the ground up using it, accounting for all parameters... i've tried a few other cables and without spending silly money you can't really go wrong. DNM Reson cable is good, different sound but good. Chord Odyssey and Signature are also good... but then you are into the league of silly money. Nordost Valhalla is stunning, but ridiculously priced IMHO.

Summary, stick to NACA5 you can't go wrong with it.