1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim Power amp for Centre ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by coupe-sport, Jul 18, 2002.

1. coupe-sport

coupe-sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - System / Sony 735 / Marantz SR4200 / Kef Cresta 3's / Centre / 1's.

The Front L&R are driven from a Naim 72 / 140 / Flatcap combo, which has greatly improved the dynamic range of the system and dropped the low end of the Kefs considerably.

With the improvement to the Front, I'm wondering about doing the same with the Centre (probably leave the rear of the Marantz). I'm thinking of getting hold of an old 90/3 and using that to drive the centre, running straight off the pre-outs on the Marantz. As its a two channel amp and the Centre can be Bi-wired i'm thinking of using one channel to drive the bass and the other to drive the treble.

Apart from making up a RCA / Din lead (got some old Chord leads to canibalise) can anyone see any problems / has any suggestions on the above.

Intention is to eventually go Naim AV2 processor and Dynaudio speakers but enjoying the experimenting at the mo...

Cheers

James.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do naim amps not tend to click and pop alot when u turn them on..... apart from that, if u like the naim sound on the main pair, then ur elected!

3. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Guys,

Naim recommend that their equipment is left permanently turned on, therefore popping would not be a problem. I have a NAC82 Pre Amp with a Supercap and a NAP 250 Power Amp driving the fronts and this is left switched on all the time. The main reason for this is that it can take several days/weeks for Naim gear to warm up to the point where it produces the optimum sound.

My Centre and Rear channels are driven by a Rotel RB993 Power Amp, but I think upgrading to a Naim for these is the long term plan.

I think your idea of having a Naim Power Amp driving the Centre is a good idea - go for it.

Cheers, Roman

4. coupe-sport

coupe-sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys - just found a S/H Naim 90/3 amp this morning so bought that and going to make up a cable to suit.

I'll let you know how it goes.

rgds

James.

5. coupe-sport

coupe-sport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update - Got my Naim 90/3 through yesterday from Infidelity. Chord are making me a custom lead, but in the mean time, i just knocked up a quick one in the lab to tide me over. I'm using Chord Carnival bi-wire cable so it was easy to swap the connections over so one channel of the 90/3 is running the Bass and the other runs the treble on the center.

Results - Superb - the Marantz drives the 90/3 no problem and the 3 channels across the front sound superb - dialoque is a lot clearer and the sound is now nicely intergrated with the usual Naim drive in the bass. Very pleased.

Another 90/3 for the rear ??

6. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks coupe-sport. This is very useful info to me as i hoped my 4200 could be part of my future upgrade plans. I will now spend the rest of the day dreaming of a rack full of Audiolab power amps. Sad I know:blush: