Naim NAIT XS3 Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

Interesting Ed,

You’ve also reviewed the NAD M10. Both That and this Naim are within spitting distance price wise. But very different beasts functionality wise!

From a music point of view, what’s the better amp IYHO.

Rob

Can you clarify how the DIN connections work better? Thanks

Only in that it and the matching Naim sources are designed with a view to being used DIN to DIN. The inputs are designed around the impedance of DIN connectors which gives then a fractional (and I stress fractional) advantage over RCA.

Good review Ed. Just curious, did you compare your own Supernait 2 alongside the new XS3?

I do wonder which would be the better buy, as the secondhand values of the Supernait 2 seem to be hovering at around the brand new price of the XS3!

Good review Ed. Just curious, did you compare your own Supernait 2 alongside the new XS3?

I do wonder which would be the better buy, as the secondhand values of the Supernait 2 seem to be hovering at around the brand new price of the XS3!

I would take a young used Supernait 2 over a new XS3.

I’m thinking about this exact same situation to replace my Rega Elex-R!

All I can advise if have a listen to the XS3 to see if you like the Naim sound, the SN2 is a little better but we are talking by a very small margin. What speakers are you using?

Only in that it and the matching Naim sources are designed with a view to being used DIN to DIN. The inputs are designed around the impedance of DIN connectors which gives then a fractional (and I stress fractional) advantage over RCA.

Maybe I am getting old but I could not hear any difference between RCA and DIN.

Great review, Thank you.

All I can advise if have a listen to the XS3 to see if you like the Naim sound, the SN2 is a little better but we are talking by a very small margin. What speakers are you using?
Q acoustic 3050. The rest is Linn LP12 (Majik spec with Hercules II) and Lejonklou Slipsik 7. I did demo the 5si when I got the Elex, preferred the Elex over the Naim but things do change when you get higher up and Rega have only just plugged the gap with the Aethos. Also considering Lingo 4 for the LP12 which might be a wider investment than changing amps now.

Q acoustic 3050. The rest is Linn LP12 (Majik spec with Hercules II) and Lejonklou Slipsik 7. I did demo the 5si when I got the Elex, preferred the Elex over the Naim but things do change when you get higher up and Rega have only just plugged the gap with the Aethos. Also considering Lingo 4 for the LP12 which might be a wider investment than changing amps now.

I would have a look into a speaker upgrade before changing the amp.

I would have a look into a speaker upgrade before changing the amp.
Yep - also looking at that. I had a 7 day home demo a week ago of the PMC 25.21 but really didn’t like them in my room. Too lean and bright. The 3050 definitely punch above their weight.

Your Elex could certainly drive better speakers and I think you'd get a better upgrade from looking at that end of your kit. Like you I preferred an Elicit-R to the the XS2.

The Aethos will be reviewed here in due course.

Hi , I'm looking at replacing my MF A1000 in the next 6 months or so but can't afford the SN3, so looking around the 2k mark. The XS3 is on my shortlist plus possibly elicit r, exposure d3020, moon....to be paired with PMC 20.23.
Any experience/recommendations anyone?

Hi , I'm looking at replacing my MF A1000 in the next 6 months or so but can't afford the SN3, so looking around the 2k mark. The XS3 is on my shortlist plus possibly elicit r, exposure d3020, moon....to be paired with PMC 20.23.
CAN YOU TELL US WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR SOUNDWISE, and maybe your speakers

My MF A1000 is a class a amp, runs warm and sounds fantastic. Not harsh but smooth sounding I suppose. My dealer said it's probably showing it's age now and I'm not hearing my speakers at their best. He would say that though..... I'll just have to listen with my speakers. Got the bug now so want to upgrade, but need remote control and a phono stage also

My MF A1000 is a class a amp, runs warm and sounds fantastic. Not harsh but smooth sounding I suppose. My dealer said it's probably showing it's age now and I'm not hearing my speakers at their best. He would say that though..... I'll just have to listen with my speakers. Got the bug now so want to upgrade, but need remote control and a phono stage also
What about another MF, 3 or 5 series, same warmth...

Ed, did you get the upgrade? I’m looking at a new amp to go with my Twenty23s and I’d be keen to hear your experience.

Hi I'm actually taking my speakers to my dealer this week (they don't sell PMC anympre) for some blind listening. I've read so many reviews, just need to go and trust my ears...
Will update afterwards...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom