Naim nait 5i matching speakers in difficult room

Spiritwalker27

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for another thread on this but I can't see the wood for the trees.

My room is quite awkward meaning I have to have speakers close to the wall, spacing them is no issue, its the proximity to the wall and this seems to limit my choice as rear ported is likely to be out (i guess?) I prefer floorstanders for the aesthetics but can do standmount if necessary.

The room is 14' square and furnished, I like a decent bass but it doesn't have to dominate, listen to rock, electronic music, goth. Very little classical maybe a little jazz.

Budget is £450 absolute max, would prefer to spend closer to £350 though. Any suggestions welcome.

I'm currently using kef q35 with the naim and they seem ok but I'm sure there's better to be had. I have heard good things about rega rx3 but they may need space from the wall ? Likewise quad 21l ? I I believe Neat are a good option but they seem out of price range.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ps, as the room isn’t huge, you might consider these too.

The RX1 will be fine.. the RX3 is more side spacing to watch for and the Neat's also work well with the Nait.. all can be found at the Audio T down the road from where you work. call them though to make sure they have them in store or to see when they can get them in before going to listen :)

Just be aware that the Neat's at Audio T will be the newer versions of the Motive 2 etc.. but should give you an idea on their sound

Thes would be impressive if you can get to London?

Or arrange your own courier with the guy, perhaps.
I looked at them, he won't ship them unfortunately but thanks for the suggestion.

The RX1 will be fine.. the RX3 is more side spacing to watch for and the Neat's also work well with the Nait.. all can be found at the Audio T down the road from where you work. call them though to make sure they have them in store or to see when they can get them in before going to listen :)

Just be aware that the Neat's at Audio T will be the newer versions of the Motive 2 etc.. but should give you an idea on their sound
Hi, I emailed them, they suggested the spendor a2 but they are waaaayyyy beyond budget ! They are just about out of the rega lines.

Pity indeed.

I’d keep an eye on these.

It’s just conceivable that they’ll sell for around your budget. Possibly.

Pity indeed.

I’d keep an eye on these.

It’s just conceivable that they’ll sell for around your budget. Possibly.

I will, they are fairly local too....

...and these. Built to sit against the wall.

Bit of a drive to Leicester though.

Rear ported ? Are they unfussy about placement?

...and these. Built to sit against the wall.

Bit of a drive to Leicester though.

It is unfortunately. Any thoughts on how might the quad 21l stack up ? Have read good reports but again its positioning them. Maybe spendor s5e ? I believe they are unfussy.

Rear ported ? Are they unfussy about placement?
The RX1 needs a rear wall to get the oompf from the bass.. its not a party animal
The RX3 is a weird one to get placed right due to that side firing woofer....

Both work well on the Naim :)

It is unfortunately. Any thoughts on how might the quad 21l stack up ? Have read good reports but again its positioning them. Maybe spendor s5e ? I believe they are unfussy.

I haven’t heard any Quad speakers so I’ve no idea.

I do know that Regas can be placed very close to a wall without issues at all.

My previous (excellent) RS1s actually preferred it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom