1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim & B&W kit.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Robert85, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, just thought I'd register as I've just started to collect my first hifi kit. I went to Practical HiFi in Manchester to demo the B&W 601/602 sets and a nad 320BEE with the nad 521BEE cd player (with the intention of buying just the amp and speakers). I was really amazed by the quality...then the sales guy threw a spanner in the works, he brought in the Naim Nait 3 amp. Now, having heard of naim...but no specific product I wasn't sure what to expect. I demo'ed the amp and was surprised to find that it was clearer and louder than the nad.

I ended up buying the naim and the B&W 601 S3's. At the moment I can't afford a decent source, so I've connected my iPod as the source, as I can't tell any difference between it and a 10 year old technics cd player, so I think I'll probably order the nad 521BEE unless there's anything better for the price.

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Try and find a second hand Naim CD3.5. These can be had for around £350/400 and would be a great match for your Nait 3. You can then also use the Naim DIN-DIN cable between the two. Then lastly get yourself some Naim speaker cable (minimum of 3.5 metres per speaker) and you will have a cracking system!

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Not to put a damper on your new purchase, but one of the rules of demoing hi-fi kit is to make sure the volumes are the same. Something that is louder almost always sounds better. Maybe you just meant it went louder at max volume but that's not how I read it.

4. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel is definitely right, however the Nait 3 is a stunningly good amp so don't worry about it. Galaxyguy1s choice of CD player is also spot on - you just can't go wrong if you liked the sound of the amp.
    Another CD player to try is a Rega Planet. Even a Jupiter might fall within budget.
    Try http://www.exdem.com/
    or obviously the classifieds here and ebay/loot
    Good luck!
    Cheers
    Alex

5. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I meant at max volume! I did try them both at the same level :)

I've hit a problem though. I noticed crackling in the left channel...which went away. Everything was fine - then I got crackling from both channels. I've phoned Practical hifi and they think it's the amp at fault. I'm the sort of person who isn't happy with something after it has been repaired e.g. it'll never be as good (probably not the case). So I'm swapping it for the Nad 320BEE, if indeed it is the amp at fault.

6. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robert
    If it went back to NAIM, then their service dept is first class, just don't expect it back for a couple of weeks.
    It would definitely be a great amp once it's been serviced by Naim.
    However, I can understand your viewpoint and I'm assuming the NAD is brand new.

7. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah. If I send it back it'll just take the "shine" from my first hifi setup. So I've decided if the amp is knackered then I want a brand new amp. It's a funny viewpoint but I'd rather have brand new for the money, now the amp's gone funny.

8. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - totally understand
    Hope you have fun with it anyway :)

9. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The from which I bought it is around 20-25 miles away. I just hope if I get a lift there that it IS the amp which is at fault.

10. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to reiterate what others have said, if it goes back to Naim it will come back as new - they're one of the few hi-fi companies who will support/service/repair even their oldest products (well most of them).

Naim gear can be fussy about speaker cable as well, basically use theirs, 3.5m minimum each channel.

You might want to try the Naim owners forum for more info, over at http://forums.naim-audio.com

cheers,
    Paul

11. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, good point Paul.
    I've never not used Naim cable so I don't know whether it could cause the problems Robert was hearing, but their older kit was indeed known to be very fussy.
    Cheers
    Alex

12. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Contact Mark Ragett at Naim Audio. If he is unavailable leave your number and he will call you back.

This is one of the few companies where their members of staff do return your calls.

13. Daveace1

Daveace1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

It might not be the amp at all. I have got a creative Zen MP3 player and occasionally I get a crackling from one or both speakers. If I turn the Zen off and then back on again the crackling goes away. I have heard from some other people that this happens on their MP3 Hard Disc players too.

When the crackling happens next, turn the player off and back on again and if it stops you know it is a problem with the player. :lesson:

14. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It happened with a cd player as the source as well.

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Robert85

An unwanted noise in your system can be produced by any of the components in your signal chain - source, amp or loudspeakers.

Equally the noise can be produced/induced by things such as a fridge freezer on the same ring main as your HiFi kit.

Your HiFi salesman I fear has thrown another spanner in your works and its one that possibly only extra expenditure may fix.

By introducing you to the Naim Nait 3 he let you experience the resolution and detail a well executed HiFi amplifier can pass from Source to Loudspeakers - unfortunately this resolution has to be paid for and if your working on a fixed budget something has to give; in this case horse power.

You mention running the amp at full volume - this is definitely not an ideal solution to fulfil your listening requirements. If you need to run the amp at full volume its possibly not the best amp for your needs. Either lose some resolution and gain more horsepower with a beefier amp, look further up the Naim ladder for something with more horsepower or learn to listen at lower volume levels.

Running any amp at full volume is not ideal - your likely to be hearing more distortion than you would at lower volume levels and your leaving no headroom for the amp to provide the dynamics of the music your listening too - plus your likely to fry the amp or Loudspeakers at some stage (if you haven't already done so).

Best regards

Joe

PS Does the iPod have a line out or are you using a cable from its headphone socket?

16. Wingless Garuda

Wingless Garuda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ever so tenuous connection, but at work many years ago we had a small office which lost its data connection to the main Data Centre. It turned out that the network controller took a hit every time the fridge kicked in - moving the plug to a different wall unit fixed the problem. So don't discount external influences!

17. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried this. Oh - and btw I wasn't running at full volume...certainly not at home. The highest I went was 1/4 :).

18. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If I was you, I'd be unhappy at accepting second best even if it means waiting a couple of weeks to get the Naim back. It'd always bother me that the NAD doesn't sound as good.

I can only echo what others have said here. Naim are an excellent company with a fantastic and deserved reputation for after-sales service. I'd hang on and get it back. If it's an older Nait 3 and it's gone wrong, by the time Naim have finished with it, it'll probably come back sounding a whole lot better too!

19. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys. Just a little update to say that I *seem* to have fixed the problem. I signed up to the Naim forums and was advised to make a securer connection. I found that I could take the plastic guards off from the banana plugs. I did this and was able to get the plugs straight through the hole, rather than just sticking in @ an angle.

20. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Ah, that was you :) Glad you seem to have got it sorted.

21. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    May I ask which one you were?

:thumbsup:

22. Elzar

Elzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do have the banana plugs plugged into the hole on the top of the binding posts and not through the hole for bare wire connections?
    I don't see any reason as to why you would need to remove the red/black plastic covers from the banana plugs. I'm guessing you have had to remove blanking plugs from the binding posts on the back of the speaker in order to allow the banana plug to fit at all.

23. fudge.the.dog.

fudge.the.dog.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh rite,naim service is first class,o.k if your rich and then some.

24. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason it's first class is because it's expensive. You can't offer a top class service for peanuts.

25. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    As mentioned many times Naim are very aware of public relations and customer care. If you want to find out more about the company they do hold tours around their factory. It is on these tours that you find out where your hard earned cash is going and why.

It's well worth checking out.