NAIM AV2 Specs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ReTrO, Jan 19, 2002.

1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Naim Av2 specs taken from Naim Audio's website. I hope it appears soon.

The AV2 is designed to be used in addition to an existing stereo system or as part of a stand-alone home theatre. The NAIT5, for example, has a dedicated AV input, which if used in conjunction with the AV2 amplify the right and left channels. The remaining channels, surround and centre, are amplified using our three-channel amplifier, the NAPV175. [Please note that for DTS use a further NAP150 will be required.]

Our low-vibration, cast and machined aluminium chassis and cover house this exciting Naim AV component. Microphonic degradation of sound quality is greatly reduced by our Naim low-energy-transfer feet system and unique decoupling pillars for circuit board mounting.

Integrated Power Supply: The integrated power supply uses a custom design toroidal transformer with separate analogue and digital windings and additional screening which reduces RFI from the mains supply.

Time Aligned Analogue Filter Circuitry: Designed and used in our state of the art pre-amplifier designs, TAC (Time Aligned Analogue Filter Circuitry) is used within the AV2 and features high grade, close tolerance Polystyrene capacitors and metal film resistors.

VIPS: Versatile Input Switching means that inputs 1 and 2 can be used as multichannel inputs for use with systems such as SACD or DVDA or as additional analogue inputs via Naim’s common ground DIN socketry.

The AV2 is fully compatible with Dolby Digital Decoding, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS and DTS-ES. At the moment ProLogic2 and DTS-ES are upgrades.

7.1 multi-channel input: VIP- to connect an additional external 7.1 channel decoder, DVDA,SACD or further future formats. Or Input Stereo Pre-amp Mode so that the AV2 can be used in a stand-alone stereo system as well as an AV decoder.

Six Stereo Analogue Inputs: 3 DIN and 3 RCA PLUS a tape loop.

Four Digital inputs: 2 coax and 2 optical which can support PCM, AC-31 and DTS with true 24-bit/96kHz performance.

Three Digital Record Outputs: 2 coax and 1 optical.

RS232 Port for upgrades or for configuration into multi-room systems.

RC5 input for multi-room applications.

VSwitch Port for connection to Naim’s VS1 video switching and on-screen display controller.

Digitally Controlled Volume: All outputs can be independently controlled making set-up user friendly.

Digitally Controlled Bass Management: If a sub is not being used the software builds a “virtual subwoofer channel” and adds this channel to the front channels.

Programmable Input Selection: all inputs can be associated to a source type, i.e. DVD, CD, or TUNER etc. This enables the processor to select the relevant decoding required. If the source is video as well as audio the AV2 will instruct the video switch to automatically select the relevant input.

Separate A-D and D-A converters using state of the art 128x over sampling which are equipped to handle 24 bit 96 khz music and movie sound.

LED Display technology to minimise electrical noise: as with Naim CD players the display can be turned off for better sound quality. If the AV2 is connected to the VS1 video switcher the display information is presented on your screen.

On-screen Display via Naim VS1 video switch unit.

Future-proof due to full software upgrade design track.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not that there will be a hope in hell that i can afford it....but im allowed to take interest anyhow!

How much are these things going to cost?

What is the point in having pro-logic 2 and dts es an upgrade? maybe im just unusual, but im fairly sure i wouldnt bother buying this machin (if i had the money) unless i could afford to get all the gear at once!

i presume they mean the extra 150 is required for dts es not regular dts?

and the big question....what are you going to get hold of one to tell us if it is any good!?

Ad

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,058
    You'd also presume they mean you need the extra two channel amp for DTS"-ES" rather than DTS.....or perhaps they need to do a bit more research in to home cinema......

Gordon

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The AV2 will be £2,200. I think the NAP175 will be £1,175, that is the 3ch power amp. A NAP150 is £750 if I remember rightly.

Hopefully the DPLII and dts-ES will be free software upgrades.

And even more hopefully the VS1 will be out at the same time.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I hope it is better than the AV1! They told us that the world didn't need PL, DD and DTS then!:D

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    NIc: They told us you didn't need a centre channel with the AV1. And if you set it all up properly it didn't. Can't complain there.

We've got the Naim rep coming on Thursday with the AV2 and Nap175 for a demo.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,058
    Rick,

The AV1 didn't have a centre channel...it was a haffler box.....so no centre channel would have been a good idea.....

At hi-fi show Doug was explaining how The Prisoner was great for showing off home cinema....er....OK!...

Gordon

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Rick

I know you like your Naim kit but the AV1 hardly surrounded Naim with glory as their best product, as Gordon correctly points outs it was just a Haffler box!

I have family who have worked for Naim, I have visited their old factory (back in the mid 80s), I am also an engineer form Salisbury so have a soft spot for Naim but the AV1 just wasn't their crowning glory. Now if you want to talk Tuners, Aro and even the un launched electrostatic loudspeaker, these are great products that deserve praise.

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Myt favourite Naim product is the NAP 500. Cos it's so nice looking, just waitying for the NAC 122 pre-amp (£12k ish it's reconned to work twin NAp 500's).

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Is the 500 the one with wings?:D

11. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Naim AV2, "it was just a Haffler box" - isn't that basically what prologic was anyway ?

Thats the power amp I use in my Hi-Fi system - CDS2/52/500/SBLs. I believe the new pre-amp is going to be called the 552, the 112 (122?) is an existing pre-amp costing around £700-£800 IIRC

Allan

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Allan: It would break tradition if Naim called the new pre-amp the 522. I said 122 because it follows their previous pre-amps 32-42-52....102-112.

Have you got all your gear power-supplied up?

13. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naim are about to break tradition.

Okay, if you want to be pedantic, here goes:

CDS2/XPS/52/Supercap/500/500PS/SBLs

However, a CDS2 isn't a CDS2 without its power supply, a 52 isn't a 52 without its power supply and a 500 isn't a 500 without its power supply. Where its mandatory to have a power supply and there is no choice over what power supply it can be its usual shorthand not to bother mentioning it.

BTW, whats that about the new pre. operating twin 500s ??

Allan

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cheers Allan! :)

Pre operating twin 500's?

Eh?

Explain.

I'd love to see an AV2 with 500's running off it.

Ed: Just read what i wrote last time, see what you mean now. I mearly meant runninf 2 500's off 122/522 pre-amp so you could bi-amp. If the pre-amp is to be £12k ish it'd be silly if it could only run one £10k power-amp.

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Got to listen to the AV2 an NAVP175 today. Sounded pretty good to me, needed warming upo fore a while the AV2 before it sounded great.

It comes with DPLII and DTS-ES (both types) and DD-EX (offical) as standard.

The new £12k pre-amp is to be called the NAIT 552, with a new matchiong 500 series 'disc' player out when the DVD-A/SACD market stableises. Expect a 500 series AV pre-amp if the AV2 sells well.