1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim AV2 but not Naim amps - problem?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by DucatiEVO, Sep 1, 2004.

1. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone here paired an AV2 with a different brand amp? I know you can get the required cables etc but is there a better reason for using the Nap150,175 etc apart from the fact they look the same?

The specs show the Nap 150 as only 50watts odd, is this going to have enough dynamic muscle when cranked up? My Caspian Amp is over 100watts so would surely be a better partner to the AV2 even though they look different.

I don't fancy forking out the money for the amps and find out they're gutless compared to my Caspian.

thx

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,
    It's only been in recent years that Naim have even bothered to allow integration with other equipment. If you liked Naim you had Naim. In the last few years we've seen the introduction of Phono RCA connections on their CD players. They still seem to like there own dacs though....
    Naim tends to have a very unique sound, To get this I would assume you need all Naim gear. I honestly don't know how it would pair up with non Naim equipment. Would you be defeating the object??? The Naim sound tends to be very musical and dynamic. They tend to use bigger (Seperate) power supplies to improve the sound. I'm not overly in love with Naim but most of there amps seem to be up to doing the job. It would depend also on how hungry your speakers are.

3. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the reply. I guess I'll try the AV2 with the Caspian and see what it's like, I just assumed the AV2 would have better 'control' of the sound than my older Caspian DSP, plus it supports a lot more formats.

P.S. My speakers aren't too bad, but I do give em three shredded wheat each morning before playing my music! :smashin:

thx
    Chris

4. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Chris,

I've got an AV2 at present. I'm using it with 3 older Naim 140 amps ( I got them for approx. £350 each second hand). When I run the system, I run the AV2 at about 50 and it completely fills my room. Don't let the watt rating on the Naim amps sway you, they put out tons of current and have a reputation of being louder than their ratings and able to drive difficult speakers.

The AV2 is a stunning processor. It does not have that dramatic effect you get with other processors however. But, if you sit and listen to it, it draws you in more and more until all you are doing is sitting back and enjoying the film. Just brilliant.

If you do buy one, there is a new software upgrade coming out in about October timeframe, so worth taking a trip back to your dealer then to get the upgrade put onto it.

Roy.

5. Levi-501

Levi-501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an AV2, but it is the only piece of Naim gear I have.

It is being used with Regas for the fronts, and Rotels for the centre and rears.

One of the main reasons I bought the AV2 was its sound performance, no video switching ! and believe it or not it is fairly easy to setup, in comparison with other multi channel machines.

Chris

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Matching Naim preamps to non-Naim power amps is fine, but the other way around may cause problems. Naim bandwidth limit their preamps at the high end and that is the kind of input their power amps expect.

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had in the past naim nap 180 & nap 250 power amps, am using a denon 3802 at the moment beleive me the 60 watts rated 180 was far louder than my 3802

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Am I right in thinking on higher end naim they allow gain switching on the amps? This would explain the higher than pubished output.

9. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I demo'd aNaim AV2 with a Meridian 557 a little while back and found this a pretty good match. The AV2 is very musical, and has great timing. It also gets all the info out of any soundtrack. The Meridian gave it a little extra bottom end grunt over the Naim matcing amp IMO.
    The only disadvantage of the Naim, which is often quoted, is a relatively compressed soundstage, without the 3D effect one gets with some other kit.