1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim amps- a help please

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by funboy3, Mar 7, 2005.

1. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of using an old 90, 140 or 1800 for the centre channel but all these are stereo, can I still use them for just the centre (ie mono?

Thanks in advancve

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Naim has probably the finest and most technically proficient customer service personnel in the world.

http://www.naim-audio.com/

E-mail them with your question to get the correct answer.

I'm not sure running a stereo amp on one channel only is ever a good idea and would strongly advise against mono-ing a stereo amp without the manufacturer's (Naim's) written approval.

Regards
    Nimby

3. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

4. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Funboy,

Don't sweat it. Whilst it is indeed not good practice to run only one amp, there is a better solution which I use via a Linn stereo power amp. Biamp. :thumbsup:

Just use a splitter to run two cables out of the centre out on your pre, one into the left and one the right of the power. Then power your tweeters from one side and the bass from the other. Provided of course your centre speaker allows this.

I've done this before with a Myryad power amp after a thumbs up from Chris Evans (the designer) adn tehn again with the Linn after the same agreement from HelpLinn.

Have fun!