Nail in Run Flat Tyre

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Germinator, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Germinator

Germinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,049
    Was driving home yesterday and all of a sudden the tyre pressure warning came on informing me of a warning with my rear left tyre. When I got home I noticed a hex nail/screw in the tyre.

The tyre is still solid this morning, but is this safe to drive, I do roughly 7 miles per day which does not involve motorway travel.

It's booked in for a replacement on Thursday, should I not drive until I travel to the garage?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Bubblin

Bubblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    No, get it repaired, preferable replaced asap, if I'm right the thread on that type of screw is quite large and is probable near to half a cm across.

I've just had the same, the wife was driving home and she heard a ticking noise, stopped, saw the screw and drove home, she made it back but the tyre tore across from the screw by about 5cm, it only deflated when she stopped at home though!

We called the aa out to replace the tyre, booked online, within a hour they were at our door with the new tyre, and worked out roughly the same price as a garage.

3. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,212
    I would agree - you don't know how much damage it's done to the tyre and I would try and get replaced asap, not a repair in most cases.

Most garages will not repair RFT. Basically due to the fact they are only supposed to be used for up to 200 miles in emergencies as they start to breakdown after this time.

Therefore no garage will take your word that it's only been used for a couple of miles etc and repair/plug the hole. They don't want the risk of you coming back to them if their's an accident down the line.

You might get the odd back street garage that will repair but I always went with a replacement despite the cost of the new tyre when I had RFT.

4. Germinator

Germinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,049
    Thanks guys not going to drive it till Thurs, best to be safe and not use it for commuting to work.

5. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    7 miles a commute? My 120 miles a day makes me envious of your paltry mileage ;)