1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nah dont fancy an ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by reevesy, Sep 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    the gmini xs200 20gb from archos has caught my eye,along with creatives offerings, and seems to get favourable reviews where ever i look.i'm edging towards it price wise and ease of use but was wondering if the new 202 replacement is a big improvement and worth the extra dosh?.
    also if the replacement 202 is worth the upgrade would the extra money i'd have to spend be better off going to creative (must admit the SQ on the wifes muvo impressed me).
    lastly if it helps with the decission i do favour SQ over stlye.
    as ever, any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers :thumbsup:

2. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which creative one are you referring to? The Zen Vision?

If you are using the player for music exclusively then go for the Zen Touch, bit heavy but no player can touch it for value. Nice battery life, excellent SQ (imo), and easy to use.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or the 20GB Zen Sleek, which has improvements in interface over the Touch, and is considerably smaller and lighter (though with shorter battery - 18hrs instead of 24hr)?

Re: Archos Gmini, I found the onboard software to be somewhat buggy, and the manual unhelpful. Certain things that I was meant to be able to do on the player simply wouldn't work for me. I'm sure others have had more success. By contrast, I've owned three Creative products and found them effortless to operate (and with much better SQ than the Archos Gmini 200, IMO).

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more thing: the Gmini XS200 only gives you around 10hrs battery life off one charge (on average), and gets UNBELIEVABLY hot when charging and transfering songs at the same time. That was my experience at least ...

5. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zen Sleek it is then!

6. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    yeah i think i might have to go the extra buck for the creative not sure which one though? seems to be a few deals around for the touch, i would like to keep south of the £150 mark.
    have'nt checked out the sleek yet,also can they all be piped through to my denon amp ok?line out needed on the player i suppose?

7. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    oh nearly forgot seen some reasonable prices for the rio carbon 5GB as well ,pc worlds got em for £119 again favourable reviews though i'd soon fill 5 gig

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want line out, look elsewhere. Creative don't natively support this AFAIK. With the Touch, you'd be whacking your volume up to the max to get anywhere near enough source power.

9. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the iPod is getting alot of unnesercary *spelling* nasty stuff said about it (cant swear on here). Basically, every1 is getting annoyed because they are dominating....i can agree why people said that when other companys had superior models a few years back, but now the iPod is a worthy choice

10. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    nothing against i pods or their owners...whatever people are happy with but i fancy something different from everyone and their dog and anyhow i'm using 98 se as an operating system which,as i understand it,is'nt compatible with the ipod and like i said i was impressed with the little creative i got the missus.
    oh and getting back to the line out question,would the archos support this?

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    yep....think its a head/heart situation,but i must admit i do keep finding myself going back for more looks at the archos,the line out might be the clincher.
    is the only difference between the 200 and the 202 better battery and screen?