Naff SKY HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sTTu, Aug 23, 2006.

1. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm feeling a bit naffed off having just had HD put in monday with my new Pioneer 50 XDE (plus new amp, DVD, Xbox360, cabinet etc etc) all I can say is don't bother ! HD PQ is mildly noticable but quite honestly it aint that good and defo not worth £299 + £10 per month. Okay my old Sky+ was on the way out so a new box is not a bad idea but HD is not that great.

Secondly all these problems with the Pioneer panels, SKY HD and the HDMI issues makes me wonder why I bothered !!! maybe I'm not understanding this issue, I thought the HDMI cable was the only proper connection for the Sky HD box and the XDE. I've currently got the SKY HD connected to the tuner box via the scart is that right ? Am I doing something wrong >

Oh, and I just read on the forum that there may be sound issues for Denon users, grrrrrreat ! I've just a new Denon amp :(

Can anyone give me a positive slant on this ??? :lease:

Thanks

Mr Fed Up !!!

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you are using SCART your will not be getting an HD picture. You would need to use component or HDMI as far as I know.

3. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    It looks crap because scart won't do HD. Have you got any component inputs cos you're much better using that.:smashin:

4. CHRISDF

CHRISDF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using Scart does not give you HD...only HDMI or Component (worse quality).

5. Gilly!

Gilly!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi sTTu - don't give up just yet!

The Pioneer XDE is a fantastic set - but make sure you use the running in settings from the FAQ for the first couple of hundred hours.

With regard to your HD PQ, you say that you have the SkyHD box connected to the media box via Scart, if that is the only connection you have you are not getting anything at HD quality - for that you need HDMI (not recommended for Pioneer users whilst here is the uncertainty about the HDCP error) or component (and optical for DD5.1 to your amp). You can pick up a set of component leads quite cheaply, or you can get a free set from Pioneer (mine took a week to arrive though).

When you get it set up correctly you will certainly notice the difference from SD to HD broadcasts - and if the BBC Preview channel doesn't get the "Wow factor" than I'll eat my hat.

All the best
    Gilly!

6. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :D You are not HD ready so.
    Most pioneers are using the component to display the HD as the HDMI can cause failures on the display.

7. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Shame no-one told the SKY engineer ! I was at work when it installed, so I'm guessing that the engineer just took the old box out and reconnected the new SKY HD box, my fault I should have checked. To be honest I'm really very clued up on this stuff (obviously!!!!! ;) ) I can feel and evening of re-cabling coming on....JOY !

8. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,736
    It will be worth it - don't worry! :smashin:

9. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not bad that though, the problem solved in 8 minutes.....well done people :smashin:

10. simon 2003

simon 2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    post your results m8,cos thats what i want,got me heart set on a 50 " pioneer ,but ive just read somthin about fried hdmi's with sly HD box,and now worried

11. dar2005

dar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just to say that I had a Pioneer 506xde, and had SkyHD installed on day 1, using HDMI. I have never had any problems with the connection.

The 506xde was replaced for a new 506 last week (the original was nicked in a burglary). The new one is also connected to SkyHD via HDMI, and again no problems. Picture quality is ace on HD broadcasts, and pretty damn find on normal stuff too. An excellent television.

12. simon 2003

simon 2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    saw this on another forum:
    If you have SkyHD and your TV is connected through HDMI then you want to go unplug it before you read any further - trust us.

Over the past few weeks there have been more and more reports of the HDMI ports on Pioneer plasma displays frying themselves for no apparent reason. What started out as a fairly isolated problem has become a bit of a headache for Sky.

Now, over two weeks after the reports started coming in on the AVForums.com, Sky have finally made an announcement.

“We're aware of a number of reports of HDCP compatibility issues with some Pioneer televisions when used in conjunction with a SkyHD box. Sky and Pioneer are working together to investigate the reports as a matter of urgency.

“We've designed the SkyHD box so that it is easy to use and compatible with a wide range of TV sets. Specifically, it is intended to work with TVs that carry the HD Ready label and it has successfully passed independent tests for compliance with the HDMI and HDCP protocols.

“While we investigate these reports, the recommendation to customers who experience this situation is that they simply use the component output to connect their SkyHD box to their TV to continue viewing SkyHD content. We will update customers once the cause of the reported issue has been identified.”

So let's get this straight, we, the consumers, have shelled out big bucks for our HDMI-equipped kit and now you tell us to revert to component? Ah yes, but ONLY after we experience problems, by which time it's too late, the HDMI port has gone to the land of nod. It's an odd situation though, as this isn't an immediate failure, but one that seems to occur a week or two after the SkyHD box has been happily pumping crisp content to your display.

Sky are looking into the problem and so are Pioneer - but who's going to be responsible when they do figure it out is anyone's guess. So far Pioneer have said the fried kit won't be covered by warranty if it was connected to a SkyHD box and Sky are saying, while they are aware of the problem, it can't possibly be their fault.

In fact, while Pioneer and Sky have each said their piece it turns out that more and more equipment is failing, from Toshiba projectors to Philips LCDs. Clearly, the knowledgeable people on the AVForums have uncovered a problem that is proving elusive to fix.

Sky seem to have only communicated to the educated few over at AVForums. A quick search on ******** brings up nothing of note. At the time of writing, no letters have been sent out to customers by Sky warning them of the problem.

With the AVForums community desperate for a solution, it's up to Sky customers themselves to protect their investment for the time being. So, go on, if you have SkyHD do yourself a favour and stick it on component.

13. Gilly!

Gilly!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Simon2003 - you are a bit behind the times with this mate - see the pioneer blog for the latest each day

14. simon 2003

simon 2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    sorry for the old news,just started considering a big plasma and saw it,ill check the blog cheers
    wow guess ill have to rethink the pio,the 7 series looks nice too,dunno how they will even get a fix,only way would be a slyhd box s/w update,surely IF its there issue

15. Ernie_C

Ernie_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Not that I'm condoning burglary but were the thieves astute enough to leave the Sky HD behind?

16. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    UPDATE UPDATE !!!

Okay, having proved myself to be the biggest biffer on the forum for trying to use scart for the HD:oops: ! (well no one told me!!!) I am pleased to say using component it is actually working.

Verdict...Great !.....BUT....limited, all of a sudden I want everything to be as clean and crisp. Forest Gump is so vibrant ! Die Hard was not too stunning but still good.

I've had my Pioneer 50" XDE since 9th June and I still relish watching it everynight, XXX2 was bloody awsome last night on Sky Movies. Its a damn big screen in a room 12ft x 16ft but everyone whos seen it reckons that its mega and a 42" would just not have the WOW factor or impact when watching a movie, anyone in doubt, just do it !!!

Overall, I still don't think HD is worth the tenner per month yet, as more channels come online it will be better value. I spose early adoption has its problems.

Thanks for the advice on the scart lead folks :D He He !

sTTu

Attached Files: