1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naff fans in Sharp Aquos LCDs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mark88, Mar 27, 2005.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If anyone else hates the fans inside their Aquos, here's some info if you ever considered changing them.

The fans inside these TVs are approx 92mm and about 10mm deep(shallow depth, one of the reasons why they are noisy). The connector on the fans is like a smaller version of the 3 pin connector you get on PC fans which means swapping out the fans for quieter ones isn't an easy option. The fans have 3 wires as apposed to 2 on PC fans. See attachment.

Considering some of the larger Aquos TVs don't have any fans IMO the fans in the smaller models don't do much at all, and they are blowing out, not in. I think you can easily run your TV without the fans without any problems. However, if you do unplug any of the fans the TV will not work. You can turn it on and as soon as the light goes green it will switch itself off. It's programmed to check to see if the fans are running.

I don't know how easy it is to find fans that have the same connector as the Aquos fans, you might be able to get an adaptor. I guess the other options are soldering the wires from the sharp fan onto your quiet fan, or finding how it's possible to stop the TV checking to see if the fans are connected.

Attached Files:

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    bilmey you must be nuts to opene up your screen.

you get them connections on pc mother boards as well you could i suppose take a noiseblocker fan or silentX fan and you that connector with them. you can pin removal tools @ www.kustompcs.com

3. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I never said I did...besides, I don't see why it would be hard. Althought obviously it would screw your warrantly.

4. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone's considering buying a Sharp - but is put off by this post - Don't be! The fans are very quiet - and completely inaudible when running the TV at normal living room volumes. You can hear them when running at low volume - but it's really no big deal. They're certainly quiter than the fans on my laptop which I sometimes use for viewing movies.

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I only hear mine when I am stood by it, i.e. when I first turn it on. My SKY box fan is noiser!

6. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    well hard or not you stand a good chance of damaging it and voiding the warranty. if you cant stand it sell it on and look for an alternative

7. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Totally agree jimg, my xbox fan is far noisier, plus when the tv volume is at normal level you can't hear a thing!