1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nad...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Cat, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    As some of you may know, I'm after a stereo amp as my yammy can't quite cut it musically…
    My obvious options seems to be that I would have both amps together and either have the nad (c320 cbee, c350, or some other amp ) driving the main speakers, or use a speaker switch to alternate between the amps (depending on if I want to listen to music, or watch a dvd)…I checked the Nad website, found some info, but I decided to e-mail them for some advice, I basically asked what my options would be, this was there response -

Dear xxx,

I have no Knowledge of the connection capability of the Yamaha RX-V620RDS, so cannot comment on how or whether, it is possible to use an alternative amplifier for the front channels, an integrated amplifier such as the C320BEE or C350 would not normally be used for this, but more normally a power amplifier would be used, while the NAD integrated amplifiers do have the option of using them as either a power amplifier, or just pre-amplifier by removing the "U" links it would be rather a waste of the amplifiers abilities, and there is no way to connect in the manner that you describe for two amplifiers to drive the speakers by connecting the amplifiers together this would damage or destroy probably both amplifiers, and also the subwoofer needs to be feed from the LFE output for correct surround sound effects. It is possible to get high grade speaker switch boxes (at a cost of about £50 up for a two way) or high quality switch box for switching between amplifiers to the speakers concerned, but as the spacing and positioning for speakers is generally different for best stereo and best surround is different it is seldom a good solution.

Sorry but the best and simplest solution would be to audition the many makes and models of surround sound equipment for one that sounds good in both stereo use as well as giving surround sound capability.

Regards NAD Service Department.

Now I'm confused, not sure what to do, any ideas..??:confused:

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Well Babble, he's right in that he cannot comment on the Yammys connectivity, he's a Nad engineer. The speaker switch option is possible. I would not use a switch box as you are risking introducing degradation of the signal. He is also right that using an Integrated as a power amp is technically a waste of its features. Lots of us do though. If the Yammy has 'pre outs' just buy an integrated amp and plug it in, if not try a switch box.

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I added a C370 to my DSPAX620 and the improvement was huge.
    For Music I use C370 as an integrated & HC I use C370 as a power amp.
    A quality switch box lies between Yamaha Pre outs, NAD Pre amp outs and main power amp in.

Setting 1 on the switchbox connects NAD pre outs to NAD main ins (use this for music)
    Setting 2 on switchbox connects Yamaha pre outs to NAD power amp section.

Doing this also increases Dynamic power by some 20% as the Yamaha is only driving Centre and rears.
    Not much improvement with music though (when using Yamaha pre outs).

CD player connected only to NAD.
    DVD player via digital connection to Yamaha.

All u need is 4 pairs of interconnects and a switchbox.

My switchbox makes no audible difference to SQ.
    It cost me £15 @ maplins.

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    My CD is connected direct to my integrated amp. The receiver pre outs are fed straight into the AV analogue inputs on the integrated. Two amps and one pair of front speakers. The speakers are connected to the integrated only. The results are high quality CD replay and as mentioned above less stress on the AV receiver during movies. Not a switch box in sight.

Regards, Mylo:p

5. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but having two volume controls sucks IMO.
    I tried it for a while but the level was always changing.

The switch box degrades the sound no more than the silver u links NAD supply.

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    You’re not wrong Wookie, if I play a CD and forget to reset the volume on the integrated:eek:
    For movies the integrated is set to 12 o'clock as the other channels are calibrated to match.

Both of our methods definitely work well.

Mylo:p