1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD Vs Marantz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Semiskimmed1976, Jun 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hey All,

I'm pretty new to the home cinema scene..so i'm a bit confused as to what to buy!

However i'm choosing between 2 systems unless you can throw in some more with good arguements as to why.

I'm really interested in the NAD T752 or MARANTZ SR-7300 - what do you think? Also what speakers would you recommend...i'll have another £1500 to spend on speakers...

Your comments are much appreciated...

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Photo

Photo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to listen to the Marantz with Mordaunt Short 908 + center + surround. Sounds very nice to me.

Best of luck with deciding :)

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi semiskinned1976
    To me the nad t752 is the better amp sound wise but if you want 6.1 you would need to get the marantz 7300 as the nad only has 5amps built in.The nad also sounds good in stereo where most receivers under £1000 arnt that good in this department .Really the best thing you could do is try and get a demo of the kit your intrested in and let your own ears decide
    Gonzo.

4. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm a new Nad t752 owner (just over a week) and I'm still tweaking the configuration. Even now, I love the sound of it and so does my wife (who knows nothing about hifi, other than whether she likes how it sounds). Having said that neither of us are audiophiles but it's a big step up from the cheap integrated Sony ghetto blaster we've been using for the last five years.

One other thing I'll say about the Nad is that it's actually somwhat "less-deep" than most of the other amps in the same price range, so if space is a consideration then it's worth considering it. My custom-built fitted AV unit is a bit tight for space (I didn't measure up correctly, doh!), but despite the tight fit and hot summer, the Nad's fan has yet to come on (even after four or five hours of reasonably loud play).

I'm using Celestion Soundstyle AVP305 speaker package which comes with four sexy-looking satellites, a center and a 200w sub.
    A lovely crisp sound and well worth 600 quid. If it's essential that your speakers be attractive and not overl large I would recommend them, a nice, bright sound with very good midrange response. I believe that the Kef eggs Mk2 may be an slight improvement, now they've beefed up the sub and improved the tweeter.

Gunrock

5. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hey All,

Thanks for your comments - i'm still none the wiser on what to get :) but seriously like everyone says, test the system before you buy as everyones ears are different - i'm pretty keen on the NAD personally, but i'll check it out in my showroom and see what the sound is like with the speakers they recommend.

When I went in their, they did recommend purchasing the Mordant-Short THX speakers, but will the two AMPs i'm interested in be compatible? And more importantly would you rate them...at the end of the day - I want a decent system to enjoy films, not really bothered about the music side of things but because of my lack of experience I don't wanna get ripped off...thats why i'm trusting you guys, don't let me down!!! or i'll send the bover boys round :D

Cheers,
    Matt

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have not heard the Nad but can vouch for the Marantz gear sounding very nice, for speakers make sure you listen to B&W you could get a full 600 set-up (603 Front, LCR60 centre 601 Rears and even an ASW675 Sub) for that sort of money and you will not be disappointed.

7. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The nad is very good indeed for both music and films, i had a dem between the nad and the marantz and found the nad had more power on tap when needed. The harmon kardon is also worth considering as well, but at the end of the day always let your ears deside.