NAD T777v3 AV Receiver Review & Comments

At the risk of appearing old-fashioned, didn't the difference between an "amplifier" and a "receiver" used to be the presence of a radio tuner in the latter? Given the total lack of any form of aerial connection on the back panel photo, surely this is an amplifier and not a receiver?

(And yes, I know about internet radio, but poor-quality low-bitrate online streams are not a substitute for FM in my book...)

Just had SSAV on the blower, basically they can attempt the current fix that has fixed some units but not all, or they reckon there will be a new fix for the end of next week that will fix every unit

Anyone been told the same?

Noticed the review used a mains conditioner.
What might one expect the improvements to be ?

Noticed the review used a mains conditioner.
What might one expect the improvements to be ?

The mains conditioners are used because I wish to protect review equipment from untoward events that might happen here and vice versa. While I have heard subjective improvement with a selection of devices (items like phono stages in particular), their listing in reviews of this nature is to note their existence rather than to insist on their use for other people. The NAD was not tested without it so no difference in performance was logged. I don't believe a device of this nature would benefit hugely under normal conditions.

Thankyou. Yes l thought any improveent might have been marginal especially with AV which is very subjective.
One just never knows if ones own system is working at optimum as one has nothing to directly compare with. Unlike the visual experience which is much easier to compare

So having further researched, I'm pretty set on this, pending a side by side with an AVR550 and perhaps an AVR850 if SSAV will humour me.

Seems there's no point shopping around though, is SSAV really the only place to get NAD in the UK?

It's funny. When I got my Yamaha RX-A3010 one of the things that annoyed me the most was having volume OSD and I was *so* glad when I discovered I could turn it off.

Popped to SSAV today and I'm now the proud owner of one of these along with a Sony 75XE9405 - missing volume OSD and all.

I want this...

With the recent price drop of the 777 I'm finding this very hard to resist

Ah now it is 500 less than I paid for it! That’s annoying but frankly I have had so much pleasure from it I have no regrets about buying it when it first emerged. SSAV in Oxford have provided good support with patient answers to my rather basic questions. Now it is visibly working with Atmos from my Apple TV, including Netflix, and an Oppo 205. The sound quality is amazing, especially with musical content. iPhone control is straightforward and a recent firmware update has made that connnection more robust in a house with multiple networks. I can see a
Number for the volume on my phone though tend to rely on my ears more! Highly recommended.

Is this a rebaged arcam? They sound very similar
Especially the assigning of rear/height/zone only for amps 6/7

Is this a rebaged arcam? They sound very similar
Especially the assigning of rear/height/zone only for amps 6/7

No.

NAD do not make hardware for Arcam and neither do Arcam manufacturer hardware for NAD.

The only real similarity is the inclusion of DIRAC LIve room EQ correction which is licensed from DIRAC.

Both NAD and Arcam do however have a long standing reputation for the manufacturer of higher quality stereo integrated amps, which is basically what both use as a template for the amplifcation they incorporate into their AV receivers. The similarity between them in terms of how they sound may simply be a matter of them both being relatively neutral as opposed to them being purposefully tuned to sound alike.

Hi Guys

I recently exchanged my Arcam AVR550 + P429 power amp + BlueSound Node 2i for the NAD T777 Mk3 + 2 x C268 power amps. (Long story for another post.)

One of my immediate concerns with the NAD is fan noise. Is it the case that the NAD’s cooling fans are always on, albeit at a low rpm?

It’s a bit maddening in my otherwise dead silent living room and a somewhat different approach to Arcam which allow their AVRs to run hotter and kick in the cooling fans at high temps/volume. I get the rationale for this, the NAD unit runs appreciably cooler and that’s got to be good for longevity (versus Arcam’s AVRs terrible thermal record).

Anyone had a similar experience and thoughts on how to reduce said background noise. (Placed in a BDI closed front / open back unit.)

Not sure I’ve ever noticed fans running, that said I’d have to turn off the Sky Q box to be able to hear.

One of my immediate concerns with the NAD is fan noise. Is it the case that the NAD’s cooling fans are always on, albeit at a low rpm?
Yes I must admit - I've noticed this as well. I have a loaner T777 while my M17v2 is being looked at and certainly in quiet passages of films, etc I could hear the fan noise. I must admit I have no idea if this is normal or not as on the M17 I never heard any fan noise - George

Looks like it’s in the design, there's an array of 5 fans on the underside in parallel with the heat sink. It’s a neat arrangement and really does keep things cool. So I get the layout, but can’t understand what NAD were thinking to have this running all the time. It’s certainly audible. I’ll write and ask them and post back their response.

Otherwise a similar sonic performance to the AVR550 is being put in by the NAD on surround sound. Too early to tell on music...

It's not great but there lies the problem putting a load of amplification and the processor/pre-amp in the same box is going to cause major heat issues unless it runs class D amplification. Capacitor life is directly related to heat/time.

The other issue is as the fans age they invariably get louder on top of this with forced cooling more dust tends to get stuck in units.

Hi everyone,

I got offered an irresistible bargain: a mint demo T777v3:

Please find the information below of a demo model T777 which has been upgraded to the SAME MDC boards i.e. AM230 + VM310 + BluOs AV Kit that is used in the T778.
These boards are priced at R 8990, R 9990 and R 3590 respectively, as well as the installation plus software upload charges and are INCLUDED in the price of R 44990 incl vat.
The last price of the T777V3, when available as new was R 64990.
This T777 now has the same BluOs streaming, 4K Video, Apple Airplay 2 spec as a new T778
The unit is being sold with the usual 2 year warranty covering manufacturing defects

Can't wait to be back with a NAD again :D

So, my unit arrived yesterday. I set it up and was up and running in no time. BluOS detected an upgrade, which went quickly & smoothly.

Everything is working great, except for one thing: even though I added my PC's shared Music folder in the BluOS app, I don't see any option in the app to play the files?

Here's me testing with Iron Maiden's latest album :D

AV Setup 20210909.JPG

After much fiddling, I found the issue with the BluOS app not being able to index my large music library: it was the Optimize Artwork option, which is ON by default.

Once I switched it off, the index was done in a couple of minutes, and my entire music collection is now available.

Maybe this will be useful to someone else :)

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue with my setup.

Just got back home after a week away, and now noticed that my speakers are humming/buzzing when I switch on my T777v3 (complete silence in standby).

There was a BluOS update, which I ran yesterday, and I'm pretty sure the humming wasn't present before that - could that be the cause?

The hum is coming from the front towers (PSB Imagine T2s) and the centre speaker (PSB Image C5). It's very audible when I mute the sound, but can also be heard when listening to movies where the characters are whispering.

I have done a power cycle, but no success.

By toggling the ARC settings, the high-pitch buzzing stops, but the humming is still there. The same thing when I disable the Input in the menu.

When I mute the output, some of the buzzing disappears, but the low-frequency humming is still present.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue will be most appreciated, thanks.

UPDATE 1:
I just did the following:
  • First I unplugged ALL inputs & outputs (HDMI, RCA, etc.), no success.
  • Then I disconnected all the speakers, and then reconnected them, no success.
  • Then I unplugged the unit from my AC Furman conditioner and plugged it straight into the wall outlet, no success.
  • Then I unplugged all the other equipment on the same power line, no success.
  • I even switched off the pool and the geyser at the Mains Switchboard to rule out AC interference, still no success.
  • When I do a BluOS reset, the version does not change - is that normal?
So, is it the amp then? :help:

UPDATE 2:
Did a factory reset, no luck.

UPDATE 3:
Tried a different wall outlet by running an extension from the kitchen, which is not on the inverter circuit - no change.

Two more tests I ran: the noise is still there even if I switch off the Centre channel in the Speaker setup, and changing the gain on that channel has no effect on the noise level.

So even with the centre speaker disabled, there is still a signal being sent to it, and it seems that signal is constant!?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom