NAD T777v3 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil Hinton, May 1, 2018.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,674
    2. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +219
      But does it make the Tea? :)

3. JoeSepi

JoeSepi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +689
      It does support Dolby Vision now, as of last firmware update!

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,030
      @Ed Selley

You may want to point out that the Auto Setup with Dirac requires a PC/Laptop.

5. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,965
      No, but does your teapot decode Dolby Atmos and power 7 speakers?

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +136
      I'm 90% set on Dirac Live for the next AVR, which raises the question - this or the AVR550? (or suck it up for the AVR850?)

The lack of a volume overlay is a huge black mark for me though, particularly if it doesn't seem especially loud at high volumes, given the AVR isn't in the room to provide a visual indicator :/

Another thing that irks me on most of the AVRs that are "missing" channels of amplification - give us fully assignable amps please! If I'm having to use an external amp, I'd much rather get a big stereo amp for the fronts and use the onboard channels for the .4

7. avbill1

avbill1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      I have one of these from helpful folk at Sevenoaks Oxford, for a few weeks now, and I am thrilled with it. The presence of multi-channel audio inputs makes it an excellent partner to my Oppo 205, and I can use either DAC depending on the disc. The quality of music is outstanding in my view.

I take issue with one point of this review, which is the slight obsession with the lack of an on-screen volume information. First, the amp displays the volume. Second, even if you have hidden the amp, are people not capable of hearing whether it is too loud or soft!! Even if you are terminally obsessed with having a number, you can see it on the excellent iphone control app, which I use in preference to the big NAD remote anyway. The app also shows the name you have given the inputs so you can see TV, Apple TV, Blu Ray etc if you have given them the names. No issue here at all IMHO.

I sort of agree with the fiddlyness of the HDMI inputs in their vertical stack. I had to get behind it with a torch to sort out my inputs. But that is a small price to pay for the upgradeability of the NAD hardware - you can swap the two vertical stacks on the left (from the back) without having to replace the unit. NAD call this MDC (modular design construction) and I thought that was a big deal for future-proofing.

I had a few false starts connecting up the Dirac Live calibration. You need to read the manual carefully to get the cabling right to a laptop. The differentiation between this and the much cheaper 758 is perhaps not a lot for the price difference - more Watts, more HDMI, Ethernet and support for speakers down to 4 Ohms is about it. I decided it was worth it but others may find the 758 V3 sufficient. (The official speaker rating of the 758 as being a min of 8 is buried at the bottom of the back plate and you might need to zoom in on the data sheet or manual diagram to notice it.)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    8. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,657
      This is the app I use with mine, works amazingly well: T 758 V3 on the App Store

Yeah unfortunately this, and the Arcam only have 1 pair of assignable internal amps, and that's either for rear surrounds, zone 2, or front heights

9. avbill1

avbill1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      I use the NAD one: "NAD A/V Remote", which added full support for the T777V3 in V1.18 about a month ago. Here it is on the store - on mine the Source numbers are replaced by the names I have given. Nice big volume On the Screen Display of the iPhone. And nothing in the way of the movie I am watching. app.jpg

10. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +623
      Having OSD with volume is essential when amp is not in line of sight and you have kids asleep and SHMBO or her mother can’t judge volume that well, i.e. they Set the volume based on a quiet TV program only to wake the whole house when a loud part comes along... It’s a small first world issue I know, but important to some and the house harmony, it doesn’t bother me, but having it would make an otherwise excellent amp more accepted / family friendly..

11. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +262
    12. JoeSepi

JoeSepi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +689
      Extremely fugly app though, I find it almost offensive!

When I last looked it still referenced some rubbish room correction instead of Dirac, is that fixed now?

13. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +770
      There's a 3rd party app on the Apple Store for a Ipad/Iphone display written by a member on AVSForums

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +136
      This.

I have some sound proofing in the movie room and it's an entire house away from kiddo's room, which means "loud" is okay, but it's too easy to cross over from "loud" to "way too loud", especially in films.

AVR is racked up in a cupboard next to the room, Harmony is doing remote duties so don't want to have to use a phone/tablet. Such a simple thing, but such a bummer that it's missing.

15. JoeSepi

JoeSepi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +689
      I agree it would be better if it had it, but with TV channels varying between each other and between programs and adverts, with movies from Disney like the new Star Wars where they seem to have forgotten to set a level so you have to run an amp hot to Dunkirk where the same level would make your ears bleed and wake up the kids in the whole street what real use is the volume display.

16. avbill1

avbill1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      Some soundtracks are louder than others. Some have greater dynamic audio range than others. On some the dialogue is clear and others it is mumbling. Clinging to the number of dB displayed by the amp alone seems to me to pointless given all the other factors that vary. This whole OSD obsession seems to me to be a pointless excuse to find faults with an excellent product. We have visibility of the dB display on the amp and the app, but pay no attention to it (I use the app for on/off and source switching). We have a rule that the amp is turned right down at the end of a viewing session, and then adjusted up to a sensible level as a movie begins. "Sensible" depends on whether the kids are also watching, doing music practice or reading or asleep. We get cries to turn it up if they are watching!

My whole life revolves around numbers as an applied mathematician. I also know when they tell you absolutely nothing. This is one of those cases. (Just as I finished writing this the last post appeared - I agree fully - ads are often massively louder on TV.)

17. Smudger1

Smudger1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +148
      Next you'll be telling us 'All the way to 11' is nonsense. Pah!

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +136
      Seems to be lots of mainly NAD owners defending it's omission. Personally I find the OSD very useful. I watch neither TV channels nor ads - with my own films, the streaming content I watch and games, the volume OSD is helpful in determining how loud loud will be for the duration of whatever content I'm watching - I don't want to be quickly reaching for the remote to knock it back when something blows up (by which time my daughter is already awake)

Lots of "buts", but this is all there is to it - some people might not find it useful, but some people do. Even if some people can live without it but don't realise it yet, it's not like we're talking about a feature that adds cost or development time - its omission is just a bit daft when it's something that can be on someone's "cons"list.

My life revolves around convincing someone they don't really want that feature that they think they want, working in technical sales - this is one of those features I do.

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,674
      Ultimately, I've lived for years with products that do it and most of the NAD's key competition has it. In test conditions here, the display is usually out of eyeline and it's been annoying to not have it. I appreciate that you don't need it and have a £2,500 shaped confirmation bias to the product but it would have been remiss of me not to mention its absence.

20. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,965
      I employ a butler to adjust the volume and inform me of its level :lesson:

21. Rockets

Rockets

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      I don't know if it is sad or good that a av amp is marked down for omissions while having fantastic sound quality. Clearly a lot of the R&D/manufacturer on this NAD unit was purely on sound quality.

Probably my main criteria would be sound quality and if another item matches it then look at the spec/usability after.

So yeah my next av unit purchase NAD will be in the testing list for sure.

22. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +770
      Lack of an OSD is a dealbreaker for some and not for others

I’ve had other Amps with HDMI issues playing 4K, not had a single HDMI issue with my unit

23. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +503
      Agree - especially as I have no doubt they also have suitable HT bypass capable integrated amps as well as their power amps.

TBH - this tends to be a pet annoyance of mine with many AVRs with pre-outs. At least Yamaha 2070 and 3070 can re-assign the fronts - think higher end Marantz can as well. For something like this and if setting up a 5/7.1.4 I'd almost count it as a deal breaker given the asking price (which I have would have no issues with otherwise as a higher end AVR that could do a decent job of music as well), but its annoying to effective need 2 amps one your first choice is always going to be to use an external amp for the fronts for HiFi integration. Given they are a Hifi company, I am somewhat surprised by this major oversight.

As for OSD - got used to not seeing the OSD and instead checking the device panel when watching from TV apps like Netflix etc anyway.

24. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +921
      The important question, it seems to me, is: if you're using both devices with external power amps, how does this device compare to the Arcam AVR390 (or the AVR550)?

25. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,657
      I A/B'd a T758v3 and an AVR550 using an Arcam P-1000 power amp. No Dirac, just 2.0 - couldn't tell the difference

26. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +382
      At the risk of appearing old-fashioned, didn't the difference between an "amplifier" and a "receiver" used to be the presence of a radio tuner in the latter? Given the total lack of any form of aerial connection on the back panel photo, surely this is an amplifier and not a receiver?

(And yes, I know about internet radio, but poor-quality low-bitrate online streams are not a substitute for FM in my book...)

27. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +770
      Just had SSAV on the blower, basically they can attempt the current fix that has fixed some units but not all, or they reckon there will be a new fix for the end of next week that will fix every unit

Anyone been told the same?

28. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,657
      Wrong thread, buddy ;)

29. silouette

silouette

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +79
      Noticed the review used a mains conditioner.
      What might one expect the improvements to be ?

30. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,674
      The mains conditioners are used because I wish to protect review equipment from untoward events that might happen here and vice versa. While I have heard subjective improvement with a selection of devices (items like phono stages in particular), their listing in reviews of this nature is to note their existence rather than to insist on their use for other people. The NAD was not tested without it so no difference in performance was logged. I don't believe a device of this nature would benefit hugely under normal conditions.