1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD T753 or Marantz SR7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by eviljohn2, Nov 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Marantz clocks in at £411 while the Nad is £450 so someone elses opinion would be nice.

I can't see a lot between them although the Marantz has PL2x. Both are ugly brutes but have well respected power supplies and are supposed to sound great with music which is what the main use will be.

I'm leaning towards the Marantz as it's cheaper unless someone can persuade me the extra £39 is worth saving (that's the amount I've budgeted for my X-Men animated series collection which will make me very happy to own) :)

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo them if you can because although both are great with music cosidering, the problem is they have completely different styles of sound. Nad gets my vote for music but overall they are about equal in quality, it's gonna be a personal taste thing!

3. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Can't comment on the NAD but I'm very happy with the 7400 I bought recently for movies and music.

If it helps, I too though it was ugly before I bought it, but have grown to love the interface and now prefer it to some of the 'neater' facias on other brands.

The remote is also the best multifunction type I've personally come across.

Dermot

4. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Marantz SR7400 is a great receiver. Sound pretty awsome with DD and DTS sound tracks, using the Direct mode sound great with 2 channel music sources even better if you plan to play SACD or DVDA disc's.

It's big, but then so are most of it's rivals. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's ugly though! The front panel layout and OSD menu is very simple to get used to and navigate around - takes very little time to get up and running.

I think the SR7400 is an excellent device, not as sexy or as bursting with gimmicks as say the Yamaha or Denon's but then no one seems to disagree that the SR7400 is a very "musical" Av device. I love mine :thumbsup:

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks all, I'll probably go with the Marantz then. Either will be a big step up from my Denon 1802 which I now need to shift to get the funds.

I listen to rock music so hopefully that won't affect anyones advice drastically.

6. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rock music is the way forward! The Marantz will do it justice no worries.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    John, you are more than welcome to pop over to my place and have a listen to my SR7400 mate. Let me know and we'll set something up :).

8. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It may be worth seeing if the new 7500 will push the 7400's price down. I got mine from Unbeatable for £411 a good few months ago so if you're prepared to wait.... wouldn't want to upgrade it for a good while yet as it's given sterling service so far.

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Kaz, thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm in Bath at the moment with no transport. I'd love to come and see your new Quads. In fact it was your comments at the sub test that put the thought in my mind.

Wildone, I think Peter Tyson offering it for £399.99 is about as low as it's likely to go. Everywhere else is still around the £500 mark. :)

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It's an open offer mate, you are more than welcome any time, just let me know.

Maybe if you are down over one of the weekends or something :).

You won't be dissappointed with the SR7400, it is a lovely machine, and for £399, it is a bargain :eek:

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Come on John mate, aching for some feedback :)

Remember, let it run in for a bit, my one only started sounding fantastic with music after a few days.

At moderate volume levels and above you should hear a big difference between this and your 1802. Should sound more effortless and the timing should also improve.

12. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Tysons dont have any in stock, they said Marantz are waiting for more UK stock :(

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi John
    If musics your main criteria i would try and get to hear the nad receiver in stereo,Ive read alot about other receivers being musical but any that ive heard in the nads price range couldnt touch it in stereo,I used to own a nad T752 so do have some idea.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    Ps nad receiver 20.5kg marantz 14.8 kg just gives you some idea of the power supply in each amp.

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Johns SR7400 has already arrived, just waiting to hear what he thinks of it :devil: :D

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Indeed it has arrived, and I had considered the relative weight of each. Also bear in mind that the main speakers that it's being used with are Mission 771e's which are one of the easiest loads around. If Tysons are OOS then I must have had one of the very last ones in which case I'm very happy, although I'm certain I'd have been as happy with the Nad for those that suggested otherwise. It was quite a shortlist!

Anyway, down to the mini-review that such expenditure deserves IMO. First impressions were that the 7400 was quite a beast compared to the 1802. Much heavier, much better build quality (just feel that volume control :D ) etc.

Please bear in mind that I havn't had a chance to test it with movies yet (loads of work, plus girlfriend and bands to see) so this is based purely on music and various tests that weren't really any more than playing...

Once first connected I was quite disappointed with the upgrade, I was expecting a huge leap in sound quality akin from going from midi to seperates. Unfortunately this didn't happen but it was pointed out to me that my old 1802 was a very capable receiver in its own right. There were plenty of improvements and extra features, but I just don't use the features and the sound improvement didn't seem worth the outlay.

About a week later after the components had become used to room temperature (I'm not a great believer in components settling in electrically, but do think allowing them to settle at RTP can help) then it's certainly improved when it comes to stereo performance. Sound improvements are always hard to describe but the most obvious one to me is vocal inflection where I think this product excels, every midrange nuance in my CD collection has become discernable rather than hidden in the background. Treble has also had a boost in clarity whilst bass really hasn't changed much. Perceived value isn't any different to the 1802 - it's just a big black box that sits in the cabinet and doesn't really get touched (although I really/i] like the volume pot and metal fascia).

Over the next few days I hope to put a few films through it but don't expect any major changes, from my prelim testing there's plenty more power which makes higher volume listening easier but the sound produced probably won't be a different leap from the CD sound.

Bad points are that I havn't found a convenient way to set the surround back channels to the stereo pair to enable biamping, and that the remote has a few quirks. The remotes good points far outweigh the irritations though.

Overall, at first I was quite disappointed with the SR7400 as a jump from my 1802 but as time progresses I'm becoming more and more pleased with my purchase and I know it has the capability to drive far more demanding speakers than I've connected to it (in fact I wonder if it would perform better with something that it can actually get its teeth into rather than my whimsical Missions).

Kaz, you have the CD5400 as a CD player. Does it provide a worthwhile improvement over the SR7400s DACs for stereo replay as I'm wondering if one of the entry level NAD CD players would be a worthwhile christmas present? :)

16. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can't say I'm surprised you haven't found a big difference moving from the Denon to the Marantz. I'd say you'd have to go to a flagship or power amp to make a noticable difference. I've seen people go from a 3802 to a 3803 and similar. They must really love their features.

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

I think you need to pop over to my place to hear how the SR7400 sounds with the Quads and CD Player.

A dedicated CD player will always make a difference next to a similarly priced DVD Player, and a budget NAD would definitely be an improvement over using the Toshie DVD player. The source is one of the most important parts to a system.

If only wiring up AV amps wasn't such a pain, I think you would hear more difference if you played both amps back to back. I was lucky to still have my SR4300 and managed to do a near as possible back to back listen :D and there was definitely a difference :).

I reckon a nice big pair of floorstanders would make a difference too, Mordaunt Short 914's are almost a perfect match. The Quads have really shown me what the SR7400 is capable of.

One of the biggest differences I found with movies is that everything became so much more transparent and effortless, I could hear back ground noises that were missed before, and dialogue is handled superbly.

As for any further noticeable improvements, the only way to get a huge step up akin to the one from all in ones to seperates is to go the pre/power route. I'm torn between going for the SR8500 next or saving more and going the pre/power route. Moving one model range up may not provide the benefits for the amount of money paid, probably wouldn't hear any difference, two model level jumps like you have just done should show an improvement, but as Daneel says, not one that is galactic.

When are you back down for Crimbo John?

18. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Bear in mind that the main reason I upgraded was to improve stereo playback which it's certainly done, there's loads more drive in crunching guitars and vocal inflections are conveyed brilliantly. Treble clarity has improved significantly too.

Don't get the impression that I'm disappointed with it, the more albums I play the better they all get. I just get the feeling that it's capable of much more than I'm using it for but isn't that always the way. I certainly wouldn't have been too thrilled if I'd paid full whack for it, but at £400 it was an absolute steal (with £75 worth of remote!) and has easily justified the outlay.

I can't see me doing any significant upgrading from my current system in the future as I'm happy with it (may be persuaded by a BFD and CD player but who knows ;) ). A car and a house will probably have to take financial priority now, and more media of course!

Kaz, I'll be back home for a few days over Christmas but hoping to stay here in Bath for most of it. I'll see if I can arrange transport and maybe head up to yours for a day, your setup has just taken a few leaps and I'd love to hear the SVS :)

19. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Another option is to buy a good (even used) DAC to take the DVD Player digital out and feed the stereo direct input of the AVReceiver...

Good DAC, good musical sound, only one player... search Ebay

20. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Just spent a bit of time fiddling with the settings and it's all getting a lot better very quickly. Apart from when I forgot to turn it down from 100dB and had The Clash suddenly bursting into my room :eek:

The BK sub was set up for my old Denon which did have fairly ropey bass management. It's all coming together now, probably no real need for a CD player (just use the amps DACs) if it keeps getting better like this whenever I spend some time with it, like a fine women it seems to demand quite a bit of attention!

Falp, I have been looking at offboard DACs as well :)

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have to agree, it does need a bit of tweaking, there are quite a few bass management settings to go through, and even more speaker settings. Took me about a week to go through everything and be happy with it. Now with a good 10 months tweaking behind me it sounds lovely :D Now I think you should buy some Quad 21L's :devil:

22. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    :laugh: I'd definitely like a pair of 21L's but they're far too pricey and impractical for me at the moment! I do tend to move around quite a bit at the moment and I've far too much stuff as it is. Once I've got my own place, a car and a stable job then I'll consider a speaker upgrade - some of the Wilmslow Audio DIY models are quite appealing.

It is very beneficial having never really heard a system that's better than mine! No doubt that will all change at the Bristol Show and I'll have to start upgrading again :(

23. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to bi-amp your front speakers, you can use the "speakers A+B" feature.
    You plug your low level speaker to front A and your high level on your front B, and you switch the amp on A+B.

Let me know if this works.

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Endora when you use A+B Speakers you are not Bi Amping you are just Bi Wireing the speakers, meaning you are still useing the same amplifiers..

John

25. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As recruit says, I tried that with my old Denon but eventually decided it was a waste of time. Although the surround back channels on the Marantz are available for multi-room use, I havn't found a way to automatically link them to the stereo pair (I think it would be possible if you changed the normal source and then changed the multi-room source to the same one). :)

26. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's Bi-wiring, no Bi-Amping... :nono:

27. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I was wondering about this, so the front amp section is shared between the two sets of connectors?

28. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Of course... :smoke:

29. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: