1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD T752 full of bugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thedude, May 12, 2003.

1. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my self a denon 1803, after 1 week i sell it because i didnt like how it sound, i replace it with a new NAD T752 and here is my experience.

After taking it out of the box, connected it to my speakers Wharfedale diamond 8.3, diamond center, diamond 8.1 and JBL PSW1200 sub. Connected it to my Pioneer DV 355 DVD player, Onkyo 6 Disk CD Changer, Samsung VHS player.

Turned it on, put my favorite CD and wow, the sound is great...put Blade 2 DTS-ES and the movie sound was excellent. The sound was really amazing until i discover the very many bugs in this unit that i cant live with.

1. Ticking sound at evry increase and decrease in volume.

2. Annoying alien like noise on analog connections, which can be easily heard when volume is at +2db.

3. The thump produce on my subwoofer everytime i turn on and turn off the nad(this doesnt happen in my previous denon 1803 and yamaha RXV520 so the sub issnt an issue)

4. The thump produced on all speakers when changing DSP's, can be easily heard when no source is playing and volume is +10db

5. Quick noise produce when Auto is enabled, everytime the the decoder switches from any DSP to DD or DTS, there is a very quick noise before the switch, then mute then back to normal. Can be easily tested when using the Audio button of DVD player in which u can toggle between 2 channel ,DD,DTS audio of a disk, then the NAD will automatically shift surround modes and that is where the quick noise appears.

6. SOmetimes no sound from the Center and surround channels when 1st turned on, need to turn off then turn on the unit again the second time around to get the center and surround working.

7. The VFL display suck, sometimes there are displays that is clear than the others like when the display is DVD, sometimes D is more clearer that VD, its not equal

8. Sudden increase in volume to +18 db, happens to me twice at midnight, i was watching DVD at -48 db after finishing to watch i decided to use the tuner my volume is still -48, then i pressed the tuner button on the remote then bangggggggggggggg...the sound is so loud i panicked, run to the NAD and quickly turn the volume knob on the front panel.. the volume starts to decrease from +18 db..

Its too bad..the NAD sound great but its just i cant live with this bugs...After 1 month of usage i returned the player to the store and replace it with the Harman Kardon AVR5500...

Now im happy...

2. R oss Smith

R oss Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Rotel has had bugs read my thread below, talking to the Tech it has to have a new DSP board installed hopefully that will fix the problem. Maybe your Nad has a faulty DSP board also.

3. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I e-mailed NAD and they told me a bunch of upgrades for my problems, anyway i dont want it to be upgraded and told them that i will be bringing back the unit to the store for a replacement of other brands.

Its just i heard too many quality problems regarding NAD and i dont want that a year from now after the warranty i will be bringing the unit to a tech. for repair. Ive used a yamaha for more than a year and didnt given me a single problem.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Thedude
    Iam sorry to hear of your problems with your nad t752 the only problem ive got out of the ones you mentioned is the ticking noise on the volume which is only the led flashing and nad can rectify this if you want. personally the ticking doesant really bother me as i dont turn the volume up and down alot when listening to music and movies.It seems you got a bad unit its just a pity you did'nt swap for a new unit because as you said the sound quality is great.I also buy my stuff using my barclaycard you get an extra years free cover and for the nad 5 years cover cost me £80 so if the worst did happen i would get a repair or replacement to the same value. Ive had my nad 3 months now and iam very pleased with its performance. If all nads had the problems youve had i dont think they would have sold any receivers as the problems you got were quite bad. shame you didnt try another receiver.
    Gonzo.:(

5. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gonzo,

I know NAD sounds better..and i really like how it sound thats why i bought it in the 1st place. I auditioned Marantz, Denon and Onkyo but NAD gives me the sound i want.

Im from the Philippines, the probleme here is they only give u 1 year of warranty in parts and services and only 1 store sell NAD products.

NAD came here just about 3 months ago, so the T752 model is very new here in the philippines although in other countries they released it about early last year.

There are only 5 owners of NAD T752 including me, here in the philippines, i know coz i asked the store on how many has bought the T752, though many people here owns its older brother the T51 and the T61.

Out of the 5 owners, three of us returned our unit coz of Unit problems, though we encountered different problems, but the ticking and the noise problems in analog sources is evident in all our unit, including those unit that are still being sold.

I also dont mind of the ticking and the noise problems, but what worries me are the other propblems that i stated specially the one which suddenly increased my volume to +18.

Another thing is ,the two other owners also encountered the sudden increase of volume in which one owner destroyed his rear surround speaker the other his subwoofer. Its good wharfdales speakers didnt blow up, maybe because the wharfs is very hard to drive due to its very low sensitivity.

I think the models that they released here in the philippines have a very serious problems for them to temporarily stop the marketing of the T752 here.

Due to our complain with NAD, they let us bring back the unit and left us with this e-mail.

E-Mail From NAD:

"Sorry for the inconvenience that has been cause by the bug on the OSD of the NADT752.

Our product engineers has able to find-out recently the cause of this problem and will soon be fixing it. Momentarily we are not releasing T752 in the market. Like responsible manufacturers (ex. Toyota or Honda) we are going to solved the problem head-on. Please also don't see this as the whole product line-up problem, but a limited on this model.

In in as much as we would like to release worry free units, there are certain things that we cannot control due to situation varies a lot. Like any manufacturers, we would like to say again our apologies and thanks for your feedback.

I hope you understand that this is not we do business and I hope your continue support to NAD."

6. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the 'ticking' noise on my Marantz SR5300, living with this and the auto-decode delay at the moment.

I agree though, a sudden shift to +18db is unnaceptable - I could cope with the small things but that's a little too much.

Is there such thing as a bug-free receiver?? :(

7. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I replaced the NAD with Harman Kardon AVR5500(HK AVR520 in the US). Ive been using it for more than two weeks, all i can say is no ticking sound, no noise at high volume when nothing is playing, no delay, no ticking relay sound when switching DSP, no quick noise produced during auto shifting to DD or DTS, no thump on any speaker when being turned on or off.

So far i dont see any bug on this receiver, thank god, and good sounding too, much better and much powerful than my former NAD T752

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Thedude
    I have heard the avr5500 and to me didnt sound any more powerful than the nadt752 also i liked the sound in stereo of the nad which imo sounded better than the avr5500 also the avr5500 cost £200 more that is why i chose the nad.If your honest if you hadent have got a duff unit you would have been very happy with the nad has i am.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. maolen

maolen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thedude,

If you don't mind, can you tell me the address of this NAD store
    in Philippines. Just want to see it and compare prices with
    stores here in Singapore. Am flying there tomorrow for a
    week vacation.

10. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you, the NAD really is a great sounding machine, honestly im really happy with it when i purchased it also before buying it i give it a side by side comparison with my new HK using klipsch and Mission speakers, both sounded very good, and i agree the NAD is awsome in stereo. If it didnt give me any problem i really gonna keep it. but due to problems occured and not only me but by other owners here, i decided to buy the HK.

About the power thingy, i think its the speaker -amp matching that made me conclude that the HK is more powerfull than the NAD. Maybe the NAD isnt matched with my speakers. Though it sounded very good when i auditioned it using klipchs and mission.

11. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maolen,

The store is Spectra, located at Park Square 1 in makati, philippines.

The distributor is Studio Systems, which u can also purchase or inquire about the unit there. The address and telephone number is listed in the NAD website under dealers.

12. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

shame you had problems with the nad t572 as it is a very good sounding av amp for movies and music .
    I bought this amp after comparing against the harmon kardon 5500 the denon 3803 and onkyo , marantz amps for me the nadt752 came out on top,and i am very pleased with it.
    I have had none of the problems you have mentioned,the shop i bought it from in the uk said the have not had any problems with the nad,infact they had just sold 3 in one day all demoed against the denon3803. pity you had a bad unit.

13. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the batch of T752's that came here in the Philippines are defective..too bad..i really like the sounding of NAD

14. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where did you buy it and how much was it? I'm having trouble finding somewhere that both stocks and demos the machine.

Steve

15. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my nad t572 from audio exellence in woucester.
    I paid £600 which i thought was exellant value for money.
    As with most nad gear it can take on amps costing a lot more.

16. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. All of the Audio Excellence are quite some way from where I live in Kent. I'm trying to get Audio-T in Tunbridge Wells (still a considerable drive - but a nice day out!) to give me a demo, but they won't have stock in for another week or two.

I think it's important to match the amp with the speakers, so ideally I'd like to hear the t752 with a set of Kef eggs, Celestion AVP305 speakers or Mission FS2 NXT panels. But finding a dealer with those bits of kit, who are willing to demo them is very difficult (I think they think I'd go elsewhere and buy online after a demo. Maybe they only demo to "regulars", I don't know).

Steve