1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nad t743 for stereo - comparison wanted

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mark newbie, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mark newbie

mark newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I get this wrong during the posting.

Currently using Denon AVR1601 for stereo and AV - source is NAD 521i, speaker Mission M72 front on Stancettes, M71 rear, M7c2 centre. Stereo sound is a bit bright and lacking bass.

Amp is fine for DVD's (apart from being a bit old and not supporting DPLII, NEo etc) but I'm considering upgrading to a NAD T743 AV amp as my usage is probably 70/30 in favour of music (CD's) and want something more musical and with a bit more bass.

Initially thought about adding a NAD C320BEE or C352CT stereo amp, but can't as no preouts on 1601.

So I'm thinking of upgrading the AV amp to something comparable to the 352 in terms of stereo ability.

What I'm asking I suppose is whether the T743 is comparable to either the 320 or 352 in stereo, or do I need to spend more on an AVR (i.e. NAD T753) to get the equivalent stereo performance to the stereo amps mentioned, or am I completely off the mark ?

Any advice from you gurus would be much appreciated. Thanks :lease:

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't think you are addressing the main problem. Yes, improvements would be made with the T743, and yes the T753 is the more comparable.

I would be more inclined to spend the money on speakers. A subwoofer would address the lack of bass. The sound would still be a bit bright, but it doesn't seem an issue at the moment. Musically, would require a new amp.

A new amp want address the bass situation.

3. mark newbie

mark newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry T2

Thanks for the reply, but as I say, for movies, via my Denon DVD1000, the AVR 1601 and mission M72 combination is fine and I'm not too bothered about the lack of a subwoofer.

What I'm trying to establish is whether an upgrade to a Nad T743 would give me a stereo quality, for listening to CD's in 2 channel stereo, comparable to that of a 320BEE connected to the 521i, when used in Source Direct mode linked to the 521i

I've already demo'd the 32oBEE and 521i connected to Mission m3's (I think that's what they were) and it sounded pretty good, so my thought's are that if I can buy an AV amp with this sort of stereo ability, then it will be an improvement over the Denon 1601 (which has no preouts so I can't just add in a decent stereo amp for music).

Would the Nad T743 be better or worse than the 320BEE for stereo when allied with my 521i CDP and the m72's ?

I've also read most of the other posts re stereo from Av amps, and noted the posts about the Marantz and HK amps being good for music, but I was looking at the Nad T743 really as it's the same brand as my CDP.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would put the T742 & T752 below the stereo NAD's in terms of pure stereo ability when used in a side by side comparison.

However, when taken home, and each is assessed by itself, I don't think you would notice the difference.

Haven't done it, just my 2 cents worth.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi mark
    I used to have mission m71is nad 541i cdp and a nad t752 receiver you will get a nice smooth stereo sound, the nad stuff seems to trim the treble on the missions slightly and should answer your question.
    Cheers Gonzo.