1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD T571 or Arcam DV-88

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by morgoth, Aug 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I would like to buy an excellent dvd player in cd playback and image playback. I dont care much about DVD-A and SACD. I also want to have MP3 decoder.

I´ve noticed Arcam DV-88 and NAD T571 are very good in each of the characters i want. The prices are very different:

Arcam DV-88: £999.00
    NAD T-571 : £600.00

I want to know if the arcam deserv the extra $$$ or if its a waste of cash. I know also that arcam is upgradable. And i think NAD isnt.

I saw some reviews and both are very good players, i would like what do u guys think about these 2 dvd players.

thanks in advance,

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you have to take any claim that a DVD player has good CD playback with a pinch of salt. Many of the high-end players claim CD playback is good but in reality it's just OK.

I have the DV88's big brother, the FMJ27 which was £1,600 - DVD playback is superb and very difficult to beat. I consider the CD playback to be just OK, probably on par with a £600 dedicated CD player. I heard a Linn Genki (£1,000) in comparison and it utterly destroyed the Arcam on CD playback IMO. The Arcam is upgradeable with a progressive scan board (£350) and a DVD-A board soon.

Although the DV88 is good, I'd recommend the NAD then spend the £400 on a dedicated CD player.

Just my opinion of course. The best judge is your own ears!

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could buy the Denon 3800 for less than the cost of the DV88 and it's got DVD Audio and progressive scan out of the box! Personally I think the DV88 is vastly overpriced in the current market, somewhere around £500-£600 would be more like it. The Denon is supposedly a fantastic player so might be worth an audition..

Cheers
    Andy

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    £500 tops.

5. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    £500 ? bite me....worth far more than £500 !

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Was that comparison made using the FMJ27 and Genkis own D/A converters or just using them as transports with an external D/A converter?

The reason I ask is that I use my TAG AV32R's D/A converter when playing CDs on my Rotel DVD player (985) and they sound rather fine. I'm not sure that a dedicated CD player would sound any better unless it's transport and clock are superior to those found in my Rotel DVD player.

Matt.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Time, it always moving isn't it.......6th August 2002, whisper it to Arcam but there is absolutely nothing about the DV88 to justify more than £500.
    Having said that the FMJ-27 is still good value @ £1600 and I'm about to buy a CD-82.
    Someone will no doubt tell me in 12 months time a CD-82 isn't worth blah, blah, blah...

8. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have compared the CD sound from my 10 year old Sony CD-player with an Arcam DV88 and a Linn Classik in my home. To my surprise, the differences was so subtle that I realized that I would have a hard time to tell them apart in a blindtest.

In Sweden an Arcam DV88 costs about twice as much as a Denon 2800 MKII and 50% more than Denon 3800. I would choose a Denon 2800 MKII over the DV88 anyday of the week, the progressive scan upgrade for the DV88 costs as much as the 2800MKII!

I think that all claims that DVD-players are bad CD-players are greatly exaggerated. But that's me! Try an expensive cd-player in your home and compare it to your DVD-player, you'll might be surprised...

But don't be surprised if Arcam has a replacement player in the pipeline. DV99? :) Expect great things to come!

9. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feeback.

I think probably i´ll go to the Denon 3800 or maybe the toshiba SD900E. The bad part of the toshiba is that he cat read mp3 files, since i´d love to play some mp3 not that much, but sometimes with my own collections.

Does Denon And Toshiba made Upgrades on the software like Arcam or no?

Thks

10. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I think probably i´ll go to the Denon 3800 or maybe the toshiba SD900E. The bad part of the toshiba is that he cat read mp3 files, since i´d love to play some mp3 not that much, but sometimes with my own collections.

Thks

11. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thks