Nad T512

T

Tuner

I have just purchased a used (as new) NAD T512 in Titanium finish. I like the quality of this product but nevertheless it is not able to read DVD-R's, only CD-R's and CD-RW's, although it is Mp3 compatible. Is there any way to correct this "mistake"?

Thanks!

You could perhaps go to the place you got it from very quickly and say that it doesn't fulfill your needs and see if they wouldn't mind taking it back i part exchange for a more expensive model.

Don't think shop would have to legally take it back (may be wrong), but the idea that you want the next one up etc may help things out.

Which retailer / site did you get it from?
I have the T524. I got it last week. Haven't tried a DVD-R on it. I'll try to remember to check it out tonigh and post the result.
Mine plays Divx's and I haven't tried putting MP3's on a DVD.
If it's a DVD of MP3's your trying, then make sure the disc is 'finalised' during the burn process as a lot of players don't like open discs.

PM me if I forget tomorrow as I pick up my messages when i get home normally.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Dan.

Dankeech, thank you for your reply. I bought mine used from a friend. I've managed to run DVD-R's on my T512, it was my mistake :blush:

How do you compare NAD's picture quality (maybe particulary 512's) to other trade marks available on the market? Is anything better in its price range?

How are you pleased with your 524? Do you know of any differences between the two, apart from progressive scan and DivX? Is progressive scan much better than normal?

Any tips for a NAD "first-try-out"-er :)

Thanks!

Tuner,
To be honest, I haven't had much of a chance to use the T524. Watched a few films at the weekend, but to be honest I seriously need to upgrade my TV. I'll be buying a Loewe Aconda 32" CRT at the end of the month and the picture quality is stunning on that as a friend has one and I've envied it for some time.
Obviously the usual rules apply in terms of picture / sound quality etc; the poorest part of the system will always let the whole thing down and hold the other parts from showing their full potential. I think until I sell my Cheap Philips 28" FST CRT at the end of the month and get the Loewe I don't think I'll be able to answer the question.
Am I happy with the T524? Yes. Decoding looks as good as I can tell on the TV I have.
Funnily enough, I've just bought a T562 after only having the T524 for a week. I'd been umming & aahing about getting it before I went out & bought the T524, and it's not that I in any way regret buying the T524 as say for instance on Chronicles of Riddick I watched at the weekend, everything seemed to be nicely seperated from each other (the opening sequence Stautue for instance: Edges and angles on it seemed really 3D).

Often I've seen on cheaper players that the picture is softened by the DVD player, so lines & colour differentiations not so well defined. Sometimes it is the case that the picture is too sharp in order to try to show the image as crisp for the money. More often than not the picture can look artificially so.

I haven't compared to too many in detail, but is a definite improvement over the cheap Philips player I was using and there's something it has over the Sony DVP-S525 I sold the other month. It's the thing I like about Nad; Slightly warm but accurate sound, products built like workhorses, not xmas trees with lights all over.
I have only owned NAD for about 3 weeks now, but always was looking to probably go this route.
Think it would take a fair bit more budget perhaps for me to upgrade from the NAD to something else methinks.

I haven't seen the T512 in action, so cannot judge between the two. Not sure what the differences are apart from what you mention. Only with a decent TV I think could you try to compare the two.

The T562 should be arriving today, so will compare the 2 on the same TV etc, and will probably post a message tomorrow to see if I could spot the difference between them if you wish.
I can compare it against a Thomson £30 DVD player (another DVD player lying around the house) as well, but suspect the test will be unfair.
Would be interested to see just how much difference it will make on my £200 tv though.

What else are you running with the T512?
Other components, cables, speakers, tv etc?

Dan.

Dankeech said:
What else are you running with the T512?
Other components, cables, speakers, tv etc?

Dan.

When posting a message, it takes the signiture off the posts til you submit the post itself. I can see you have your equipment listed...

Tuner,
I'm quite surprised you've picked the T512 when the rest of your equipment seems pretty impressive.
Is this a toe in the water to test the waters, rather than a full-blown dive in to NAD territory?
Haven't heard the AVR 75 or any recent Harmon Kardon equipment recently, but they certainly got the styling spot on. Lovely classy looking piece of equipment, sure it sounds great too.

Dan

Dankeech,

do you think T512 is not a good player? I can return it if this is the case with no problems. Which one do you think I should get? This is not THE player, because in January I'll be buying a 42" Samsung plasma with HDMI and I'll need to replace the DVD player anyways.

I too, still have the 28inch Philips TV :) Looking forward on changing it to a plasma. So far my waters have been in the stereo world with music, as you can see in my signature. I'm devoted to Tannoy, speaker wise. :thumbsup: :clap:
Cables I'm using for HT are all HQ Clicktronic ones! Flat 24caratgold SCART, optical for sound and 4mm2 and 2,5mm2 high end cables for speakers. The big Tannoy's enjoy 6mm2 high quality silver cables. :smashin:

I was wondering on switching to NAD all the way, but I'm not sure. I'm quite pleased with the HK HT setup.

I have no idea about the T512's capabilities, but it is the lowest model, and also not a current one (think they've just finished with it in favour of the T513. Not sure what the difference between the two.

The current models go as follows (lowest to highest)

T513 Approx £130 new
T533 Approx £150 new
T524 Approx £180 new (Same as t533, but slimmer and Divx compatible)
T562 Approx £370 new (Flagship model)
Soon to be released: Master Series (very little info avail atm)

If you're happy with the player, then keep it.
If you think it's ok, but if were looking for something a bit more up-market, there's other options, including from NAD.

Not sure what NAD do in terms of HDMI. Don't think it's on any of the players at the moment it seems.
Whether Component outs are better; I don't know. Think that's probably a subject for another thread, or there's threads available to help out on this.

In terms of switching all to NAD, I can't comment. I don't know the equipment you're using. One thing if you do decide to take the jump is that you may be hard pressed finding a retailer that can provide a decent demo for you without spending the full RRP. It's never going to be as cheap as Internet prices and I never expected it, but a few enquiries led me to believe it would be a fortune more for the items and quite a few places advised I could get a Demo, but only prior to actually purchasing the items!

If you can get a Demo, see the advantage and willing to front the cash, go for it. Don't know what NAD may have over HK or other way round. May not be worth the expenditure unless you go top of range, that I don't know.

The Harmon Kardon HT amp you have seems to be pretty decent from brief spec I looked at.
I'd say unless you're unhappy with it, probably stick with it as you'd have to spend quite a bit to top it, unless you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket.
Maybe if you have cash to spend, upgrade that cabling slightly. Don't know what Clicktronic are like, but seems price-wise a step below profigold etc so that may be what level they're at. Suggest see if you can get your hands on something a little more up-market and see if you can tell the difference. Would suggest try QED & Chord. Reasonably priced cables with some pretty special signal qualities. Was overwhelmed by what the Silver anniversary did to the mid and treble for my speakers.
You have Silver speaker wire already, so test out an audio interconnect or two and see if that makes any difference. Hopefully you may know someone who has some different interconnects
Clicktronic could perhaps be one of those companies priced below their quality though, so a demo is the only way to see.

The DVD 'Heat' is a great one to test out a HT system. Saw someone write a review on a NAD product and they were right on the spot with that film. Low-volume talking, subtle background sounds, followed by that Gunfight scene outside the bank. Sounds amazing and tests out all the parts a good HT system should shine with.

Bit limited in my experience of various makes, but love what I've got.

Thanks for this elaborate reply! :smashin:

Will think over what to do...

Regarding the Master Series, this goes:
NAD M15 7.1 preamp, DD EX, DTS ES, THX Ultra II, HDMI (3.000 EUR)
NAD M25 7 channel amp, THX Ultra II 7×160W/8ohm (3.000 EUR)
NAD M55 DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD/ player, Progressive Scan, HDMI (3.000 EUR)

That's a round 9.000 EUR :)

Tuner said:
Thanks for this elaborate reply! :smashin:

Will think over what to do...

Regarding the Master Series, this goes:
NAD M15 7.1 preamp, DD EX, DTS ES, THX Ultra II, HDMI (3.000 EUR)
NAD M25 7 channel amp, THX Ultra II 7×160W/8ohm (3.000 EUR)
NAD M55 DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD/ player, Progressive Scan, HDMI (3.000 EUR)

That's a round 9.000 EUR :)

NASA would be round asking to borrow equipment if you got that :rotfl:

Let me know what you do and how you got on. I'm subscribed to this thread, so will be reading any replies you post.

I'll try to remember to post a review of the T562 vs the T524. Expect it'll be at home now, or I'll have been carded by courier. Looking forward to getting home tonight. The T562 is designed to be very good at CD Audio. We'll see if it lives up to that claim this evening. Be intesting if I can tell the difference. I certainly would expect so.

Dan.

Well, the T562 arrived yesterday from the ebayer I got it from.

Sold as 'Grade A Stock - As new, but slightly tattered box and all included cables / items etc. Direct from Nad'

The DVD Player has scratches on the inside of the disc tray where clearly the drawer wasn't opening, so someone had been trying to get their disc out. The serial is visible, but covered in highlighter indicating a refurb unit from NAD.

S-Video doesn't work, as the image is all over the place.

The guy's got very good feedback of about 2000, so I've just mailed him politely about the problems and asked if he has any ideas. I want to return the item, despite having only paid £152 + p&p for it.

Anyway, the CD Electronic trickery in there really makes a difference to the sound coming out.
It's really crisp & well-pronunce with the subtleties in the tunes being really clear behind the main melodies.

The sound is really improved over the T524 and I was more than impressed with this and want this player (albeit a working one).

Just found best price for it of £290 from acton-gate-audio.co.uk and this includes delivery, so will be spending on this at end of month. Cheaper than the £360 I had found and considered that a bargain.

Takes a while detecting the disc format etc, but this is normal from other reviews I have seen.

Video was crisp as it could be on my TV and background images were clearly more detailed and defined for objects not so near to the camera.

Played 'Heat' on the player yesterday and the picture was excellent. Don't have much of a reference point due to the TV, but can easily tell the limitations the TV is causing.

Very happy with T562, just not happy with the one I recieved.

Will definitely be purchasing one at end of month, though must get the one I have sorted out back to seller first. Product faulty & not as described.

Dan.

Contacted eBay guy. Seems really proactive and states it must be the wrong unit that was sent.

Just got to find a day when there's someone in the house and he'll send a courier to swap it out for me.

Hopefully will have better luck with the next unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom