NAD T 778 AV Receiver Review & Comments

My T758 doesn't have popping sounds on boot up & source change, guess your unit is faulty.
Perhaps, it's also going into a Mini DSP and then on to power amps though, so it may be my gain structure makes it more obvious.
I don't notice it on source change per se (not that I change sources, as HDMI switching is external) but it does seem to do it on surround format changes ocassionally. Anyway, different product, should be in a different thread.

I went from the Arcam 850 with Class G amps to the T778 and am delighted with the audio quality on my MK/SVS system. Would have preferred more hdmi inputs and 2x 4K outputs, but am hoping the MDC concept will provide upgraded hdmi configurations in future.
Does it support E Arc?

Does it support E Arc?
It does indeed, I’ve tested it with the PS4 in tv hdmi 3 while audio goes back through TVs eArc hdmi2, works a treat !

mm that only proves it supports ARC, eARC can do HD Audio codecs
It was LPCM when I last tested it months ago (can’t test it at moment as the pro has been sold in prep for the PS5).
Plugged the uhd player into the same TVs hdmi 3 port, audio is described the same as if directly connected to the Nad

Player connected direct to Nad
678FDD24-A35E-4ABC-812C-71B1861E007D.jpeg

Player connected to TVs hdmi3, audio passed to Nad via TVs hdmi 2 eArc port

F92FD84A-0A87-48C8-BFD1-0090B3E85442.jpeg

3CFEAECB-BF3A-4E76-8B5B-98E110DFEFF9.jpeg

Last edited:
@richardsim7

Edit : my 4K player had the wrong setting (had been playing about with second hdmi audio output setting)

have updated the photos above ...

Last edited:
So in theory plug your 4k sources into the TV and EARc back to ghe 778, this is now on my shortlist.
Yes, this is why I wasn’t too bothered about hdmi2.1 as my tv supports eArc, so have a workaround.

So in theory plug your 4k sources into the TV and EARc back to ghe 778, this is now on my shortlist.
No. You plug all your 4k sources to the T778 inputs and the TV to the 4k outputs.
Yes, this is why I wasn’t too bothered about hdmi2.1 as my tv supports eArc, so have a workaround.
I may be mistaken but eARC doesn't work that way.
The eARC on the TV allows you to send lossless audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS-HD) from supported streaming apps (that are installed in your TV) through your eARC supported reciver (i.e T778) or a soundbar.

If you connect the ps5 to one of your HDMI 2.1 supported TV inputs, you will enjoy the benefits of higher bandwidth but then your receiver is out of the chain.

No. You plug all your 4k sources to the T778 inputs and the TV to the 4k outputs.

I may be mistaken but eARC doesn't work that way.
The eARC on the TV allows you to send lossless audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS-HD) from supported streaming apps (that are installed in your TV) through your eARC supported reciver (i.e T778) or a soundbar.

If you connect the ps5 to one of your HDMI 2.1 supported TV inputs, you will enjoy the benefits of higher bandwidth but then your receiver is out of the chain.
So EARC is for apps only , that conflicts what Denon say about haveing only 1 8k HDMI , they say connect your PS5 XBOX X to TV with 2.1 and theTV Will send the audio signal back to the avr for atmos ect .

The only reason you would use eArc for devices is if the device is hdmi2.1. I was assuming @Killzone was talking about next gen consoles, even though he stated 4K device (due to his name :) ).
Until Nad bring out the hdmi2.1 board, if you want to enjoy the hdmi2.1 features (VRR/120Hz ...) of your console, plug it directly into the hdmi2.1 tv and pass audio back to the Nad.
All other devices go to the Nad otherwise as you say @Bman it would be pointless having the receiver (or at least the video switching part of it).

I plan to do this for the PS5, my tv is wall mounted with conduit within the brick wall, so I don’t think I’ll manage to pass a third hdmi 2.1 cable up the conduit, so if I purchase the Xbox series X next year, I’ll most likey purchase the Nad hdmi2.1 module (if one becomes available) and all devices will go to the Nad.

Last edited:
So EARC is for apps only
Yes
that conflicts what Denon say about haveing only 1 8k HDMI , they say connect your PS5 XBOX X to TV with 2.1 and theTV Will send the audio signal back to the avr for atmos ect .
Denon are correct. You should connect it that way, but that has nothing to do with eArc. You already have Dolby Atmos & DTS-HD support with "old" HDMI 2.0. eARC only concerns you if you stream apps from your TV and you want to get lossless audio.

The audio benefits of HDMI 2.1 are eARC, which I explained above.
The video benefits of HDMI 2.1 are playing at 4k@120hz or 8k@60hz and gaming features like VRR&LLM.

Let's say that you buy a PS5 or XBOX X and connect it to an "old" HDMI 2.0 receiver which is then going out to a 2.1 TV. In that setup, you will still be able to get Dolby Atmos & DTS-HD from your receiver but not 4k@120hz or 8k@60hz support. only up to 4k@60.

With a 2.1 receiver and a 2.1 TV, you'll be able to get both.

The only reason you would use eArc for devices is if the device is hdmi2.1. I was assuming @Killzone was talking about next gen consoles, even though he stated 4K device (due to his name :) ).
Until Nad bring out the hdmi2.1 board, if you want to enjoy the hdmi2.1 features (VRR/120Hz ...) of your console, plug it directly into the hdmi2.1 tv and pass audio back to the Nad.
All other devices go to the Nad otherwise as you say @Bman it would be pointless having the receiver.
I plan to do this for the PS5, unfortunately my tv is wall mounted with conduit within the wall, so I don’t think I’ll manage to pass a third hdmi cable up the conduit, so if I purchase the Xbox series X next year, I’ll most likey purchase the Nad hdmi2.1 module (if one becomes available).
But you can't pass the audio back to the Nad. That's my point.
You can't take a source (Gaming console, Blu-Ray player, Streamer), connect it directly to the TV, and still use the receiver. You can't enjoy both worlds.

Last edited:
But you can't pass the audio back to the Nad. That's my point.
You can't take a source (Gaming console, Blu-Ray player, Streamer), connect it directly to the TV, and still use the receiver. You can't enjoy both worlds.
I’m talking about using the tv as a next gen games console hub like you and I have explained above. That’s what Killzone wants to do to get the video benefit of a hdmi2.1 device without having a hdmi2.1 receiver.

Why you would want to connect all devices to the tv I don’t understand, but all I’ve said is what I’ve tested at home. I had a console connected to the tv, I passed LPCM audio back via eArc (in the TVs setting Arc is set to eArc - Passthrough) from the console as well as the tv internal apps. I have my other devices connected to the Nad.

Testing eArc last night to prove the Nad supports it for Richard (as I no longer have the console) I plugged the UHD player into the tv and was able to pass DTSX back via eArc as the receiver is still connected to the tv via its hdmi output cable. I’m assuming this would not work if it was Arc only (maybe it does ...)

We are discussing something that someone isn’t actually going to do, but are you saying if I still had my console and plugged it into the other TVs hdmi2.1 port (so the example is uhd player and console in the tv) the Nad won’t work even though I’ve tested both individually?

Last edited:
eARC only concerns you if you stream apps from your TV and you want to get lossless audio.
What apps contain lossless audio?

EArc is designed to work to send all audio formats from the TV to the AVR. This should work for both the TV's internal apps, and for any devices that are connected directly to the TV, including next gen gaming consoles.

What apps contain lossless audio?

EArc is designed to work to send all audio formats from the TV to the AVR. This should work for both the TV's internal apps, and for any devices that are connected directly to the TV, including next gen gaming consoles.
You're right. There are lossless audio apps right now. I meant all apps that support the Dolby atmos format like Netflix & Apple TV.

are you saying if I still had my console and plugged it into the other TVs hdmi2.1 port (so the example is uhd player and console in the tv) the Nad won’t work even though I’ve tested both individually?
Again, mabye I'm missing somthing here, but I don't see how you can get sound from the NAD if you connect any source (console, UHD player) direct to the TV. The only audio you'll get in that scenario is from the internal speakers of TV.

How do you pass audio back to the nad?

Again, mabye I'm missing somthing here, but I don't see how you can get sound from the NAD if you connect any source (console, UHD player) direct to the TV. The only audio you'll get in that scenario is from the internal speakers of TV.

Ahh, I see what you mean, but the Nad is still connected to the tv, Nad hdmi out to TVs Arc/eArc hdmi in (small detail mentioned above but a crucial one “as the receiver is still connected to the tv via its hdmi output cable”).
So any device connected to the tv’s other hdmi inputs can pass audio back to the Nad via the eArc link. So you are using the tv as the hdmi hub in a sense but can pass all audio (HD ..Atmos ..) back to the Nad and to your external speakers.

As I say, can’t see why you would do this as the Nad provides additional functions (lip sync etc).

The good news is it means you still get to use the next gen consoles full functionality and use the Nad to output to your external speakers and / or if the Nad doesn’t have enough HDMI inputs for you, again, you can use the TVs additional hdmi inputs and not lose out on uncompressed audio.

Via eARC!

As I say, can’t see why you would do this as the Nad provides additional functions (lip sync etc).
Lip sync adjustment should still work with an ARC / EArc connection.

The advantage is that with the source devices connected to the TV there is no risk of the AVR failing to passthrough the video correctly, and you can have different picture settings on the TV for each input (eg game, movie).

On my LG C9 what LG call AV sync is greyed out when Arc is selected for audio output.
The Nad will allow up to 200ms under lip sync although (and it may be eArc at play as it’s meant to be an additional benefit) I’ve never had to adjust for any tv app or device, lip sync is spot on.

Ahh, I see what you mean, but the Nad is still connected to the tv, Nad hdmi out to TVs Arc/eArc hdmi in (small detail mentioned above but a crucial one “as the receiver is still connected to the tv via its hdmi output cable”).
So any device connected to the tv’s other hdmi inputs can pass audio back to the Nad via the eArc link. So you are using the tv as the hdmi hub in a sense but can pass all audio (HD ..Atmos ..) back to the Nad and to your external speakers.

The good news is it means you still get to use the next gen consoles full functionality and use the Nad to output to your external speakers and / or if the Nad doesn’t have enough HDMI inputs for you, again, you can use the TVs additional hdmi inputs and not lose out on uncompressed audio.
So I'm probably doing something wrong 'cause I tried to do a test in which I plugged out my Apple TV4K from my ARC receiver and plugged it in direct to TV. I was not able to get any sound from my receiver although both arc setting are turned on (Both on my TV and my receiver)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom