NAD T 778 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Toon Army

Interesting design concept and no doubt other manufacturers will incorporate some of the features in the future. The LED screen immediately comes to mind and BluOS unless they do not want to dilute their hardware range.

unground

I'll be interested in a subjective comparison between this and the Arcam AVR30. At some point I'll upgrade from my current Arcam AVR600 and the NAD is about half the price of the AVR30 I think.

mikeysthoughts

I'll be interested in a subjective comparison between this and the Arcam AVR30. At some point I'll upgrade from my current Arcam AVR600 and the NAD is about half the price of the AVR30 I think.
As would I. This seems to be a good transition opportunity from the AVR850 + Node 2i to the NAD in my living room setup. It would look better too.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
As you say it's half the price... and the NAD has more built in channels of amplification. From what I've read elsewhere the minor software issues listed here are nothing compared to what Arcam are sadly still going through. The BluOS is stunning too, so if music playback is important I'd definitely look at this...

Mostly it'll come down to amplification... Class G in the Arcam vs Hybrid Digital in the NAD. Personally I'm plumping for the NAD.... as soon as I've seen what Anthem have to offer with the new MRX Series!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Mostly it'll come down to amplification... Class G in the Arcam vs Hybrid Digital in the NAD. Personally I'm plumping for the NAD.... as soon as I've seen what Anthem have to offer with the new MRX Series!

You only get class G (Arcam's own hybrid) in Arcam's flagship AVR30 model which retails for about £5K.

Ben45

Standard Member
Great review. I’m also considering upgrading my Marantz 7011 to the NAD. Is there a noticeable improvement in sound for both movies and music with the NAD compared to the higher end Marantz receivers.

drillo

Had my T777 for years and still manage to hit sleep inadvertently bc of the odd remote - that's caused it to shutdown on me as it went to sleep and I thought it was defective.
Remote also ridiculous in that it still says audessey 2 generations after it was dropped for Dirac - its beautifully backlit but you cant read any of the buttons printed on the body in the dark - like adjusting lip sync - same remote for T777 and T778 I believe - cmon NAD!!!
Minor niggles aside and once I got an HDFury to deal with HDMI issues mine has been flawless - I still HATE the absence of on the fly OSD - even with the apps available - its painful for many things like lipsync adjustment - all I want is basic OSD and I'd buy a T778 - without it I've been looking at Arcam. Still there are lots of idiosyncratic things I love like turning off any or all of the outputs to test various speakers, tone controls, separate sub, centre surround buttons - I'd miss NAD if I went Arcam.

drillo

Great review. I’m also considering upgrading my Marantz 7011 to the NAD. Is there a noticeable improvement in sound for both movies and music with the NAD compared to the higher end Marantz receivers.
For me on music from 2 top of the range denons - night and day - denon music was utterly lifeless

Krobar

As you say it's half the price... and the NAD has more built in channels of amplification. From what I've read elsewhere the minor software issues listed here are nothing compared to what Arcam are sadly still going through. The BluOS is stunning too, so if music playback is important I'd definitely look at this...

The comparison model is probably the AVR20, market price is very similar there. Arcams last couple of software release have not been good but 1.34 compares pretty well with the NAD. Dirac Bass Control does not work so well on the Arcam in 1.34 but the NAD doesn't even offer it at all (Same with 16 channels and Auro). The extra pair of amps and the BluOS on the NAD are nice though and possibly more useful for many users.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your thorough review Phil and for highlighting the few niggles that some of us have on our own units, hopefully future firmware updates will resolve them as they have done with a few other issues so far.

I completely agree with your thoughts on performance, my room is possibly more difficult to calibrate for, but Dirac has really helped. I’m finally in a very happy place for movie watching. While I listened to music, the Nad has given me a new appreciation, we now have music on all the time. The touchscreen album artwork is also a lovely touch.

I was determined to get a hdmi2.1 receiver for the new games consoles, but my supplier asked what is an obvious question (one the want for 2.1 made me ignore), is it audio improvement (especially bass in my case) you want? Thankfully after releasing I can use my tvs eArc functionality, I invested.
With the modular design, if a hdmi 2.1 board becomes available, I have the option to upgrade (as I’m limited to how many hdmi cables I can run up the wall to the wall mounted tv).

I’m also pleasantly surprised at how cool the unit runs compared to other AVR’s.

For those investing, as Phil mentioned, check the owners threads, a few of us happy to help with any questions and make sure you choose a good supplier (although as mentioned, most bugs have been ironed out).

Last edited:

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
The comparison model is probably the AVR20, market price is very similar there. Arcams last couple of software release have not been good but 1.34 compares pretty well with the NAD. Dirac Bass Control does not work so well on the Arcam in 1.34 but the NAD doesn't even offer it at all (Same with 16 channels and Auro). The extra pair of amps and the BluOS on the NAD are nice though and possibly more useful for many users.
AVR10 surely, both it and the T778 have 11 channel processing. Both are £2499 at most places.

Simba

Distinguished Member
May have missed it in the review but can the display be turned off or brightness muted... Could be quite distracting in a dark/dim room.

unground

AVR10 surely, both it and the T778 have 11 channel processing. Both are £2499 at most places.
I'm still interested in a comparison to the AVR30 as I expect that's the Arcam we'd go for, if we stuck to Arcam. When we bought the AVR600 it was the amplification that made the difference, the cliché night-and-day difference in terms of weight and clarity between the next Arcam down and the flagship Yamaha/Denon, all much cheaper than the AVR600 at the time of course. Times change and for all I know the NAD delivers sound quality comparable to the AVR30 at a much lower price - perhaps unlikely but hence the question.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
@Simba the panel has 2 settings on & temp (temp is 20-30 seconds) as well as 3 brightness modes (handy for those with cabinets that have darkened glass).

You can also chose different display settings showing artwork / metadata /vu meter, dark mode. To top it all, there are AV presets, so you can save all sorts of combinations above to a specific source if you wish.

Simba

Distinguished Member
I do like the look of this. Think it's time the dot matrix display was left in past and we see more fancy displays. Provided they can be reliable...

CarlB

I'm still interested in a comparison to the AVR30 as I expect that's the Arcam we'd go for, if we stuck to Arcam. When we bought the AVR600 it was the amplification that made the difference, the cliché night-and-day difference in terms of weight and clarity between the next Arcam down and the flagship Yamaha/Denon, all much cheaper than the AVR600 at the time of course. Times change and for all I know the NAD delivers sound quality comparable to the AVR30 at a much lower price - perhaps unlikely but hence the question.
I went from the Arcam 850 with Class G amps to the T778 and am delighted with the audio quality on my MK/SVS system. Would have preferred more hdmi inputs and 2x 4K outputs, but am hoping the MDC concept will provide upgraded hdmi configurations in future.

Lrehcsa

Why can't NAD stop the pops on source change? That would drive me nuts at this price and I quite fancy buying one of these too, not yet though until that is resolved.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I don’t hear the codec change pop (bar the initial power on pop) unless I have headphones on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett