1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nad T 762

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gerardus, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Gerardus

Gerardus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this week the NAD T 762 ( for two years I listened to the rotel RSX 972). It is a great reciever. Even better than the rotel 1065. I listened for more than 6 weeks to this Rotel. But the Nad sounded better, mainly in the stereo mode.
    I have a question abou the setup of the NAD: In the setup the manual don't mention anything about "background on/of". Can anyone help me an tell me what this is??

Thanks a lot!

Gerard

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Gerard
    Welcome to the forums.I think the best thing to do is ring nad.A few other nad owners have asked the same question and never got an answer it doesent seem to be anything to do with the sonic capabilities of the receiver though.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Gerardus
    I am the owner of a NAD t762 model. Within my setup I have a Nad T531, NadC540 Philips 32Pw8717, Samsung DVD 907, Sony Playstation and Kef THX TDM Speakers. The T762 is a power house thanks to the installed Holmgren toroidal mains transformer which is a great bonus. The software is quite flexible and the NAD decodes any current format available, except for DTS 24/96 which isn't an issue! NAd will be comming with new models in the beginning of next year. The T763 will be finally upgradable through RS232 port as currently a chip upgrade must be done!

Nad offers quite a good support to its client and it one of the main reasons why I have continued to follow NAD

4. Gerardus

Gerardus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to hear that. I played my cd's etc. the last 6 years always with ROTEL. For more than 6 weeks I listened to the 1065 of Rotel at my home. It was very nice reciever. But when I heard the 762 I noticed that this receiver ouplaced the 1065. And it costs only half the price of the Rotel.
    I play with tannoy P40 (front), Tannoy P10 (rear),Tannoy Revolution (centre) and the Saturn sub of Tannoy. CD-player: NAD 541, DVD-audio: Denon 1600, Rotel phono eaualizer and Rega Planer 3 turntable and JVC XLR5000 cd-recorder and a lot of different cable.
    Any idea if NAD is working on dvd-audio or SACD?
    Any idea bout the background on/of story?

5. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that SACD and DVD audio aren't on NADS priority list! As nothing is mentioned within the new range. this is the link if you want to have a look at the new range:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/news/ds/

May be they are not on Nads priority list, both formats aren't that
    popoular yet and nad is always that bit late in providing the hardware! But when it provides they really rock!

What was the difference between the Rotel and NAD. When I bought my T762 I have auditioned this Amp with a Denon 3803 and a Marantz and the NAD clearly outperformed them when low resistance speakers were connected to the Amp. The others suffered and struggled to keep up with the low current speakers. Plus NAd sounded always warm and sweet!

6. Gerardus

Gerardus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For more tha 10 years ago I discovered that english build amps sounded bettter than japanese amps. More clear and open. So I listened to NVA en Cambridge amps. After that I bought two 971 amps of Rotel (for biamping) and the 971 pre- amp. For two years ago I dicited to buy a surround reciever. Because I had two amp from Rotel I bought the Rotel rsx 972. I think for two years ago one of the best surround recievers. I still think Rotel 972, 1055 and 1065 are very, very good recievers and they build very good amps. But they are in Holland very expensive. (twice the price of a Nad reciever) When I heard the 762 and the rotel, the nad sounded, mainly in stereo mode, much more open en clear than the rotel. Although I think the Rotel looks very great. I Think Marantz recievers are good. But I never liked Denon amps. The stereo mode is bad. Look at this Dutch site. This store always tests new receivers. Nad 762 is at number one in the referent class :http://www.allec.nl/testlijst.htm:clap:
    Can I play 7.1 with T762 with 6 amps (and 6 speakers) on board??

7. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you turn the background off and you go into the amp setup menu, the menu will come up over the top of whatever is currently showing on-screen.

If you turn the background on, the menu comes up with a black background.

Or it might be the other way 'round.

8. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can.
    7.1 uses two mono back surround speakers.
    You could drive two speakers (in series) from the NAD's back sur channel amp.

This would still be 7.1

Or just use a single rear centre and go 6.1.
    I have 6 speakers but all enabled so I can run Matrix 7.1.

Had my T762 a week now and it seriously rock's.

9. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People, as regards to DVD Audio, NAD will be launching a new DVD player (Very SlimLine) with Progressive scan capability and DVD Audio support. The model no. is The T533. Will be on sale by the end of this month !

10. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

What no SACD?

11. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet, only DVD audio. NAD is always back in comming out with new Tech. Just to remind you that NAD does not have the R&D capability that other companies have, like Sony, Pioneer Etc! But it tries to deliver the best it can when all the new tech. is stable and prices are down to earth!