1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAD Netcap

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rommel, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Rommel

Rommel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have any of you guys heard much about the NAD netcap or Netgear MP115?

Looks comparable to Pinnacle 1000g & Neuston mc-500 etc. Have heard the NAD will be out at around £300 in a few months.

What's quality on the 1000g etc like? Is it worth a paying a bit more cash for a "premium" hi-fi or networking brand.

Like a lot of the other media centre products, it's unclear whether it'll stream DD or DTS 5.1 digital audio or whether it downmixes to stereo.

Attached Files:

2. NeoMorph

NeoMorph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to admit I'm looking at this Nad Netcap as well. I have a Pinnacle Showcenter and the software for it has quite a few problems (especially the latest release).

Basically I've put up with the faults of the Showcenter because it actually does the job at the moment. Only downside is the buggy software locking up the box whenever you pause MPG files (that's both video and MP3 files) in version 1.52 and the latest version (1.71) has gone over to MSSQL Server instead of MYSQL which was a LOT better performance wise. With the latest release the server can peg the needle over to 100% CPU use for protracted periods of time.

Only downside with the NAD is that I hear it's been held up for some reason... :(

3. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    heard nothing about the NAD, but I know that the netgear doesn't support Div X. That's the end of the matter for me! :(

4. NeoMorph

NeoMorph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just contacted HiFiBitz and they said that the Nad Netcap has been held back for a couple of months... I guess they must be having probs with it or are making sure the software is polished (unlike Pinnacle who's attitude is "Has it got more eye candy? Yes? Release it then... the bugs dont matter!".

How Pinnacle can say that their latest software is release quality is beyond me (hence me looking for some other solution).

Maybe it's because the technology is reasonably cutting edge but selling Showcenters with buggy beta drivers (as they did a few months ago) is really bad karma imho.

5. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm also looking at this. I wondered if anyone had experience of this networking device, it's strengths and weaknesses ?

It still doesn't look like it's available yet, just glanced at HiFi Bitz myself and it says "call for details"